Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Chiliarches said:
Just finished Benjamin Franklin's autobiography. Currently reading Homage to Catalonia.

Dear Mr. Chiliarches,

Benjamin Franklin's Autobiography and Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl would be my choices for inclusion in every man's library. :eusa_clap Franklins' Thirteen Virtues for cultivating character are nearly unmatched. I try to read both of these books about every year.

John

Aorta

Familiar Face
Dan D said:
'Gentleman: A Timless Fashion' by Bernhard Roetzel, and am waiting for Amazon to deliver 'A History of Men's Fashion: What The Well-Dressed Man Is Wearing' by Nicholas Storey.

With luck, my wardrobe will improve as a result of both!

My roommate owns the German version of 'Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion', I gave it to him as a present. It's an interesting read, isn't it? Roetzel also wrote a book about female fashion, but I heard it's not as good as the one for men, so I'm still hesitating to buy it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Sat up half the night reading a 1974 hardcover collection of "The Gumps," the pioneering continuity comic strip by Sidney Smith -- the impossibly melodramatic but remarkably gripping adventures of Andy, Min, Chester, rich Uncle Bim, and the sinister goateed villain Townsend Zander. More words-per-panel than any comic strip before or since, it's a strip you *read* rather than just look at, and suffers terribly when reduced in size for reprints. Smith wasn't a very good artist -- Andy Gump may have been the most unpleasant-looking character ever to disfigure the comic pages -- but he knew how to tell a story as well as anyone who has ever worked in the medium.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Pocket Books"

"they look so practical (and collectible!), but do they really fit into ones pocket? anyone know the dimensions of the Books, WIKI has some info but no dimensions?"

225px-CaseoftheVelvetClaws1953paperback.PNG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocket_Books The Link

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
Why, Darhling, I never would have figured you for Zombie Lit!

Uhm, I liked the cover?? ;) No, I got it because it had gotten a lot of good reviews, besides, I hope Mr. Darcy dies in this version (it is pride and prejudice and zombies, I wrote the wrong title before)!! I really want to read the second book in the 'Glassbooks of the dream eaters' though. The first was really good and fastpaced, never a dull moment in an otherwise very long book!

Corto

A-List Customer
vonwotan said:
Continuing chronologically through Evelyn Waugh's novels I have just started Scoop.

I thought Scoop was hilarious. One of his best in my opinion.

I'm currently reading several books but the one I'm making the most headway in is James Basset's Harm's Way. Great WWII Navy novel. (The movie was excellent too, with superb performances by John Wayne, Kirk Douglas, Burgess Meredith and Patricia Neal.)

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Pocket books...

Oh my gosh! I picked up a bunch of those recently! I don't have any of Mr. Stanley's at home right now, but Mr. Runyon's measures 4 1/4" x 6 3/8". (A Graphic Book, paperback)

If that helps!

Sandi

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I just finished Trav S.D.'s very enjoyable history of vaudeville, No Applause--Just Throw Money: The Book That Made Vaudeville Famous, which is now available as a bargain book. I recommend it.

I'm now a few pages into Paula Uruburu's American Eve: Evelyn Nesbit, Stanford White, the Birth of the "It" Girl and the Crime of the Century. So far, so good.

Barchetta52

New in Town
Rereading "John Dillinger" by Dary Matera.

Just finished "The Santa Claus Robbery", a thorough account of the 12/23/1927 First National Bank of Cisco (TX) by four men, one dressed as Santa Claus. (Don't have the book with me and can't remember the author. If anybody's interested I'll get it when I get home.)

My granddad lived in the area at the time so I knew about the robbery, but I didn't know about the manhunt and ultimate disposition of the criminals. Absolutely fascinating and terrifying.

jimbothewan

New in Town
Rereading my James Ellroy collection

Have started with Ellroy's "White Jazz" Scary in certain basic areas. Has anybody any idea who, if anyone at all the character of Pete Bondurant may have been based on?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Daniel Mendelsohn's The Collected Poems of C.P. Cavafy.
---a long overdue study of Cavafy, which delves inside the poet's
troubled personality in Alexandria, Egypt circa 1900-20.

also,
The Philosophy of Fighting; Morals and Motives of The Modern Warrior
by K. Vargo of Black Belt magazine.
...a rehash of the lash. :whip:
and, last but not least:
Sports Illustrated's College Football Review.

...and I doubt Army will beat Navy this year :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy