Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

LordBest

Practically Family
The Mating Season by P.G. Wodehouse.
When I'm done with that I will be starting on The Physiology of Taste by Brillat-Savarin.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I read that book a few years back and had the same reaction. The definitive study of the Todd case has yet to be written.

As for me, I've just finished "Something Of My Own: Gertrude Berg and American Broadcasting, 1929-1956", by Glenn D. Smith Jr. a biography of the creator of "The Goldbergs," who in her day was the most successful woman in radio. Very much a woman who reinvented her entire persona to fit the character she played on the air -- a fascinating story. Could be a good bit more thorough in its study of the content of the program itself, given that it appears to be a doctoral dissertation revised into book form, but a fine effort just the same.

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Working on my list of books that every man should read:

H. Rider Haggard: King Solomon's Mines.

Yes, to my great shame in my 28 years on this earth I have, untill now, never read an Allan Quatermain story...

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
[QUOTE="Skeet" McD]and decided (with some trepidation) to read it again. Sometimes books which have been tremendously influential at a given age or time don't have the same punch when revisited under different circumstances. I'm happy to report that WRINKLE not only lived up to my memories....it surpassed them

"Skeet"[/QUOTE]

I wish I could say the same for my wrinkle in time re-read. Wrinkle in time itself was still wonderful ( I originally read it in fourth grade) but its sequels did not hold up as well IMO.

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
bobalooba said:
I wish I could say the same for my wrinkle in time re-read. Wrinkle in time itself was still wonderful ( I originally read it in fourth grade) but its sequels did not hold up as well IMO.

Couldn't agree more: although I never read the sequels in my youth; I bought a boxed set for my wife, who didn't know any of them....and came to exactly your conclusion.

A sequel to a more-or-less perfect ANYTHING is very, very hard to pull off....so we'll just have to be grateful for the original.

"Skeet"

Dan D

Familiar Face
Sharp Suits

'Sharp Suits' by Eric Musgrave; not only a history of the suit but a fantastic collection of photographs - a veritable treasure-trove. Much recommended!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner