Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

vonwotan

Practically Family
I am reading an interesting police procedural about a food loving detective investigating a Mafia killing in Sicily. The Shape of Water by Andrea Camilleri.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Just finished this:
EndTheFedBook.jpg

Should be mandatory reading for "Capital Hill".

Cap'n Spaulding

New in Town
Just picked up "Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife" by Mary Roach. I loved her first book - "Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers". I really like her humorous writing style, which complements the macabre subjects she tackles.

I'm also about half-way through "Team of Rivals". I love Lincoln books, but for some reason just never got around to reading this one until now.

Lorrel Mae

Familiar Face
Finally!

Picked up "Uncle Mame", by Eric Meyers. I've been eyeing it for some time.

It's about Edward Everett Tanner III. A.K.A, Patrick Dennis, of "Auntie Mame" fame.

Fabulous man. I adore his work, have a few of his books. I will be searching for the remainder I do not have!

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Currently reading 2 of 3 books on loan to me by fellow Fedora Lounger, Harp:

The Artist As Critic: Critical Writings of Oscar Wilde. While Wilde is predominantly recognized as a brilliant playwright, he was also an able and farsighted critic and early proponent of Criticism as an independent branch of literature. This is a wonderful collection of such essays compiled in the 1890s.

Simone Weil by Dorothy Tuck McFarland. A biographical study of Ms. Weil (1909-1943); often referred to as the greatest women philosopher in the Western tradition.

John

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
I am indeed, I'm rather in to Williams at the moment. So far I've read War In Heaven & Descent into Hell. I've read a fair bit of Lewis too, my wife really is fan of him.

How about your good self?

Thanks, EB

A thousand pardons, but my Fedora time has fallen behind.

Lewis is unmatched in writing very accesible books about great subjects. His "space trilogy" is one of my personable favorites. The Aslan books are very good when they are good, and tend to drag when they are not good.
Screwtape Letters borders on genius.
I did read Til We Have Faces many years ago, but was not able to appreciate it.

I tried reading Williams, but alas, did not enjoy him.

Dorothy Sayers, on the other hand, writes wonderfully. I really enjoy her detective fiction and the random essay I can find.

Maguire

Practically Family
Just finished Theodore Ayrault Dodge's biography of Alexander. fascinating work, i always enjoy Dodge's biographies.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Wally_Hood said:
A thousand pardons, but my Fedora time has fallen behind.

Lewis is unmatched in writing very accesible books about great subjects. His "space trilogy" is one of my personable favorites. The Aslan books are very good when they are good, and tend to drag when they are not good.
Screwtape Letters borders on genius.
I did read Til We Have Faces many years ago, but was not able to appreciate it.

I tried reading Williams, but alas, did not enjoy him.

Dorothy Sayers, on the other hand, writes wonderfully. I really enjoy her detective fiction and the random essay I can find.

I've heard many good things about Sayers' work but, as yet, haven't read any.
When I first read Williams (Descent into Hell) I really had to persevere to finish it. Now I seem to have become accustomed to his style and am starting to appreciate it, it is all very supernatural but there is a greater point behind it all.
I seem to recall that neither Tolkein nor Lewis were big fans of his work although I think Lewis began to appreciate it later in life.

Regarding C.S. Lewis I am still a big fan and I think that I'd be inclined to agree with your opinion of Narnia.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Pistol Packin' Madams by Chris Enns...

...And the book the Secret Circle "The Initiation" by LJ Smith...Reading it every now and then, when I'm able to see my sister, who's refusing to let me borrow the book till she reads it.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
In the past couple of weeks:

Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policemen's Union and Wonder Boys. He's restored my faith in fiction.

Grant Morrison and various illustrators, The Invisibles. Psychedelic, shamanistic (in a good way) thriller.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just finished Turtledove's "Hitler's War"

Speculative fiction of the war kicking off in '38 (with no party having time to gear up) after Chamberlain decides to support Czechoslovakia rather than appease Hitler.

Starting on his "The Man With The Iron Heart" which has Heydrich surviving and putting Operation Werewolf and the alpine redoubt into effect rather than occupied Germany being easily pacified.

Also continuing to work through Flint's entire 1632 series.

Read "Actual Innocence" (Scheck, et al) for my Justice seminar. If you still have any trust or faith in the death penalty process as currently administered in the US, the book is worth a read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo