Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

Nashoba

One Too Many
I'm not laughing, I thought it was pretty good :)

I also sing - Mainly Soprano. I spent a fair amount of time in musical theater, spent a couple of years singing opera, and then thoroughly messed up my sense of rythem singing jazz. These days though it's mostly in church choir, and the random solo performance. I hate auditioning so the last musical I did was in 2005
I also quilt, sew, do leatherwork, beadwork, porqupine quillwork, and basketry
And less of a hobby and more of an aspect of my life, I'm a Native American Jingle Dress dancer and sing with a Southern drum.
Oh and I also make jams, jellies, can pretty much anything that can be canned and bake waaaay too many cookies for my husband's Marines.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
So, I also teach Elizabethan fencing (15 years now) and I'm an avid collector of P-40 Warhawk memorabilia.

This is a great thread, btw. It really showcases how much we like, instead of being sloth-like and grunting about TV.

I don't really have hobbies, mainly because I put a professional-level effort into everything I do.

The physical:
->Pistolcraft
->Machine work (lathe, mill, etc.)

The intellectual:
->History, especially...
--->Transportation
--->Military
->Engineering
->Computer combat simulations

The artistic:
->Architecture
->Scale modeling...
--->Aircraft
--->Ships
--->Vehicles from film and television
--->Model railroading, particularly passenger-train modeling
->Designing LEGO models of the great passenger trains of the '30s-'50s (and might add the Orient Express ot the to-do list if I could find details about the original equipment)

The material:
->Collecting...
--->Military miniatures
--->Plush sharks

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
You sound wonderful I only wish I could sound like that if I attempted that I would sound like a dying toad. I have very simple hobbies of golf, baking and playing the violin, nothing extraordinary but it passes the time.

Chanfan

A-List Customer
Medieval party dress up (SCA), which includes:
Western Martial Arts (a.k.a. hitting folks with sticks)
Brewing
Archery
Heraldry
Armoring

Reading

Mixology - including collecting bar books and barware.

Collecting single malt scotch

Video gaming - largely PC based.

Board gaming - modern Euro/German and simulation "chit" gaming

RPG's (role playing games of various types)

Technology - generally keeping up on the trends and such

Hong Kong cinima, Anime, Samurai flicks

It's a pretty nerdy resume.

Dread Scott

Familiar Face
Hm... I have many intersts, some of which might be categorized as hobbies, but I put a lot of energy into a lot of things, when time allows. BUT some of them are -

* Collections - Numerous and Mandarin.
* Music - Play Ukulele, "Sing" - play solo and in a couple of sorry bands - more performance art than musical groups.. the Plantation Honkies and the Moral Creek Polecats, usually.
* Art - Make and Sell, but as part of my livlihood. Painting or mixed media.
* Rollerderby Announcer and Coach (currently inactive, awaiting birth of my future rollergirl). This used to take up a lot of our time.
* Put on Film Events (generally solo as Unsilent Films, or as one of the founding members of Subterranean Cinema - new incarnation currently seeking title. And a new digital projector.And parts for the film projector.)
* Drinking (heavily, generally spirits)

I suspect that many on this board have many, many vocations and avocations.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My hobbies are typical, I guess: old movies, reading books, collecting old movie magazines, listening to ALL KINDS of music, and updating my Live Journal about old movies/stars.

And I barely have time for any of them :(

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'm not sure if I have any hobbies as such -- I do a lot of things that might ordinarily be considered "hobbies", but most of them also have a serious, practical purpose: I sew, but it's not so much for recreation as it is to have something to wear. I study broadcasting history and between-the-wars pop culture, but I've made money doing this so I don't know as it would count as a hobby. I study movies, but I work in a theatre, so it's kind of an occupational requirement. I follow baseball, but in New England, that's something one is born to. I fix old bicycles, but that's because I need cheap transportation.

I think the last thing I did that would count as a pure hobby -- something I did purely as an interesting pastime -- was coin collecting. I used to save wheat-back pennies and buffalo nickels in those Whitman folders when I was a little girl, and I still keep a close eye on the contents of my change purse in case anything interesting shows up.

Rooster

Practically Family
I used to build guns for a hobby, but I've been making a living from that for the past 11 years , so that isn't a hobby anymore. I raise Old English Game chickens for exibition. I also have collected guns since I was around nine years old. I'd like to get back to shooting , hunting, and fishing again too.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Old-school film photography with vintage cameras, including traditional darkroom b/w processing and printing.

Hiking in the Hudson Highlands. Vegetable gardening. Cooking hearty fare. Writing the occasional article for Web publication. Assembling killer compilation CDs of different musical genres and artists. Endless consumption/study of films, TV, music, art, books, etc.

Nashoba said:
I also sing - Mainly Soprano. I spent a fair amount of time in musical theater, spent a couple of years singing opera, and then thoroughly messed up my sense of rythem singing jazz. These days though it's mostly in church choir, and the random solo performance. I hate auditioning so the last musical I did was in 2005
I also quilt, sew, do leatherwork, beadwork, porqupine quillwork, and basketry
And less of a hobby and more of an aspect of my life, I'm a Native American Jingle Dress dancer and sing with a Southern drum.
Oh and I also make jams, jellies, can pretty much anything that can be canned and bake waaaay too many cookies for my husband's Marines.

Nashoba,

I'd love to hear some of your singing if you have anything recorded!

Everyone's interests are great. It's so nice to be around people who don't fall into the mindless drivel plaguing modern society.

I also love history, museums, philosophy, even psychology. I like things that make you think, analyze, etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters