Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your hobbies?

RedPop4

One Too Many
I would think that finding employment doing something you'd first chosen to do as a hobby, would be the ne plus ultra of the work-a-day world. Unless it becomes so oppressive as to completely eradicate any enjoyment of that pastime.

One of my main hobbies is the subject of much negative feelings directed at myself, and those who also enjoy it.......I enjoy occasional tobacco products, cigars and pipes, and discussing these as well as collecting them and the accoutrements is a hobby I enjoy at other spots on the Web.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
My hobbies are:

Reading--mostly non-fiction history, biography or reference books about vintage fashion or photography

Sewing/grading patterns--I need to add "doing sewing finishing work" to this list since I've got several things done except for hemming or putting the buttons on the garment.

Collecting vintage clothes, jewelry, magazines. I've scaled way back on this and I've got some of my purged items ready to be sold.

Writing--I just got back into this recently and my first effort for a writing group was a 100,000 word piece, which astonished me because I used to write short stories exclusively. It will probably never see anyone's eyes but mine and the groups, but it was fun. I'm in the midst of rewriting.

I used to sketch, take photographs and paint but I've fallen off the wagon of late. I'd like to do it again though. I'd love to learn how to do block prints too.

Used to do a lot of genealogy but I've fallen off in the past year or so.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My actual active hobby is only my vintage car now. I find little items that were options or accessoriies for it and attend events relating to vintage autos on a regular basis.

I have over 600 books on WW 2 mostly combat aviation related I've used to assist me in my written articles. Books are about all else I collect.

My virtual collection is of photos for my wallpaper/screensaver. I have about 2,500 vintage autos and probably another 1,500 of other subjects.

Earp

One of the Regulars
I am a musician and singer in a band that plays bluegrass and traditional music. I play guitar and fiddle.

I'm also a flintknapper. I make stone tools and arrowheads using ancient Paleolithic methods.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I prefer mostly quiet pursuits: sewing, needlework, reading, and creative writing. I also love to cook, take bike rides, and hike. When I was much younger I enjoyed stamp collecting.

I'd like to get into gardening, but unfortunately I don't yet have a place to garden. [huh]

Nashoba

One Too Many
Midnight Palace said:
Nashoba,

I'd love to hear some of your singing if you have anything recorded!

I have a couple of things recorded but not much in a digital format right now. Most of it is on old tapes that were recorded at wherever I was singing. I think I have a digital copy of a version of O Holy Night that I did a couple years back but it's a terrible scratchy recording and several of the very high notes were just too much for the tiny microphone in the cheap digital recorder. I know I have the solo's I sang at my FIL's funeral but they're intermixed with the rest of the service and I don't know how to isolate just the music (goes beyond my skill). I'll see what I can dig up, pm me with your email address I'd be happy to send you the file of what I have.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Earp said:

I'm also a flintknapper. I make stone tools and arrowheads using ancient Paleolithic methods.

oooh. I tried that once. I was terrible at it :) I also tried brain-tanning buckskin once but it was just too much work. So I buy mine now whenever I need it lol. The lazy gene in me won that fight, some things are worth just buying

David V

A-List Customer
Chanfan said:
Medieval party dress up (SCA), which includes:
Western Martial Arts (a.k.a. hitting folks with sticks)
Brewing
Archery
Heraldry
Armoring

Me too!

Armouring , Heavy stick swingin' and rapier too. Have done a little illumination.
Did a little WMA with the Chicago Swordplay Guild, Fiori's longsword and abrizzari. Had to drop that but do miss it.

David V

A-List Customer
Gaige said:
So, I also teach Elizabethan fencing (15 years now) .

My wife just recently had to give up on Fabris because of a back issue. Had to give up rapier entirely:( She's heartbroken. I dabble at Gigantti and Cappo Ferro and can always fall back on DiGrassi.

Matt Noir

One of the Regulars
Great hobbies and interests, all!

I have been accused of having too many hobbies and interests. But I figure you only have one go at life and you might as well make the best of it!

Iaido and Kenjutsu - Japanese swordsmanship - I have been studying formally under a sensei for nearly 18 years. It is an integral part of my life and always will be.

Tattoo Art and Culture - I have full sleeves, and chest - I am working on my design for my back piece. I also paint and draw and I enjoy darker themes.

Geology, Paleontology, Paleobotany - I went to school for this and it has since become an avid hobby instead of a profession.

Music - both listening and playing. I was forced to take piano lessons as a child but I am now grateful I did. I play guitar, piano, flute, pennywhistle, Irish low whistle, Native American flute, Shakuhachi, Highland bagpipes, Uillean pipes, Guqin, and various other instruments. My greatest and perhaps only claim to fame was opening for KMFDM as well as opening for Live.

Beards and Moustaches - see my signature!

Vintage radios - collecting and restoring.

Cowboy Action Shooting

Coffee - roasting my own bean, grinding, brewing and pouring (latte art)

Poetry - both writing and reading

Archeology - lost peoples, cultures and civilizations. Everything from Egyptology and Biblical Archeology to Mesoamerican Archeology.

I will stop there - I am rambling at this point...

;)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
What a diverse group we are. :eusa_clap

I enjoy:
Linguistic Archaeology
Gardening (can't get the centuries of farmer's blood out of my veins!)
Orchid Propogation
Playing Mandolin (standards, swing, and bluegrass)

Richard

CharlieH.

One Too Many
The hobbies...

Up to now I've dabbled in....

-Model railroads (Currently on hiatus due to beastly costs)
-Model airplanes (I quit when mother destroyed my collection on spring cleaning spree)
- Vintage magazines (My healthies one to date)
- Photography (Quit when the school dark room was made off-limits)
- Antique radio restoration (There's only so much you can do with just one radio)
- Music collecting (Enough tunes to choke a horse...)
- Drawing and sketching (My raison d'etre)
- Painting (Anybody want to pose?)

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek:fftopic: Love your new avatar, CharlieH. My portrait over the fireplace is only pastel, perhaps I need one painted.
Side hobbies? Offhand, I'd say playing guitar. Putting on plays with dolls. Playing with dolls. Reading old mysteries. Reading old cookbooks. Reading Old Mr. Boston De Luxe Official Bartender's Guide, 1963 printing. Collecting sewing patrons. Taking my 4 pugs to luaus. Making yummy foods for friends to eat. Singing. Going out to meet up with friends. Going out alone. Finding old weird stuff in the attic. Watching films noir. Trying to learn other languages. Writing a story.

CharlieH.

One Too Many
BegintheBeguine said:
:eek:fftopic: Love your new avatar, CharlieH. My portrait over the fireplace is only pastel, perhaps I need one painted.

Thanks!
Maybe I could take care of that portrait... (that is, if you don't mind it being the size of a postcard! Budget cuts, ye know...)

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I have lots of side hobbies. I am retired now, so maybe they are not side hobbies -- maybe they are my life.

Most of my life I have either drawn (both pencil and pen & ink), or painted, especially oil painting, also do pastels. I am taking classes this fall at the Des Moines Art Center. I seem to be mor ambitious when I am in a class.

Also, I have written short stories, essays, I used to give readings on some of my material in New York and San Diego. I would like to write a novel or more short stories now that I am retired. I have also written some plays.

I read an awful lot, both fiction and nonfiction. I like to gamble, a hobby or a bad habit, not sure which.

I have collected miniature horses and riders, military, western, etc. Now I collect rocks and minerals, have recently acquired some spheres, which I display in my back room. I am an avid eBayer, which is where, in recent years, I have acquired all the rocks, minerals, horses and riders.

This summer I have a small garden on the porch and one side of my mother's house, lots of petunias, impatiens, some hanging plants. I wanted to recreate, as much as possible, the one thing I missed living in my San Diego apartment -- my patio. Used to sit out on it with friends, drinking martinis, smoking cigars and wearing fedoras.

Which reminds me, I collect fedoras.

karol

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Genealogy - I've been working on my family history since I was 10.

Listening to music - As of this writing, I have almost 3,000 CD titles in my music library. My tastes are pretty broad: classical, jazz, blues, reggae, and classic rock & soul. My guilty pleasures: 80's music and 50's/60's MOR instrumentals.

Reading - My library isn't very big (less than 300 titles), but I have always been a voracious reader.

Classic movies & cartoons - I've been a big fan since childhood.

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
So many!

+ Martial arts. My heart is in Kenpo Karate...not so much the system as the dojo itself, and the sensei is a GENIUS. He lied about his age to become a prison guard at age seventeen, and has an incredibly impressive history in the martial arts, yet he's one of the most humble and caring people I've ever met. He has always been hard on me, not to put me down, but to make me strong. I have also dabbled in Tae Kwon Do, kickboxing and Wushu. I have some experience using a broad sword...but I always come back to Karate -- empty hands. I sometimes assist in a women's self-defense class taught by my Kenpo sensei.

+ Painting and drawing. You can see some of my doodling in the art thread. I started oil painting when I was fourteen, and I love it. I go about drawing in a fairly untraditional manner (no sketching, EVER!), but I've found that a piece won't come out the way I intended it to unless I use my own zany techniques. I've never had an art class, but that might change sometime in my college life.

+ Designing tattoos. I'm considering being an apprentice to a local tattoo artist when I turn 18. It's not what I want to do with my life, but I think it would be an interesting experience.

+ Traveling. Not so much now that I'm in school, but I would like to study abroad for a while in either Japan or Thailand. So far I've been to Mexico, Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, France's airport, a few Caribbean islands, and India. I want to take a trip around the world after completing my educational goals (and scraping together the money!).

+ Zines. I love publishing my own ridiculous stuff! Recipes, rants and raves, etc. My favorite consistent column is all about my favorite Ebay finds (a plastic banana protector, Britney Spears' half-eaten egg salad sandwich, a black velvet painting of Satan on the toilet...). I just leave piles of zines on top of free weekly newspapers in the city, so I have no idea who my audience is...or if I even have one. lol

+ Collecting antiques and vintage clothing, of course.

+ Modeling, though I don't take myself too seriously with that.

+ Baking! I make the most unvegan-tasting vegan pumpkin muffins ever.

+ Music. I've tried to play the flute and guitar, but I never really caught on. I'm really good at the oboe, though. I have a beautiful vintage oboe made in France and played by a Dutch professional.

+ Swing dancing.

+ Bollywood! And most movies with lots of dancing, hehehe.

+ Old B-movies.

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
I've been studying Shotokan Karate for nearly ten years now, I still feel like I know nothing!lol

I study Japanese tea ceremony, though I have yet to find a sensei, so I look at a lot of books on the subject. It's the most beautiful, thoughtful ritual I have ever come accross.

I am an Argentine Tango dancer.

Write poetry and novels. I don't publish anything though, it's purely for outlet and personal enjoyment.

I am teaching myself how to sew, quilt and bind books, hard and soft cover.

I love to bake, especially breads and cookies, but I don't do much of either between work school, and the fact that my family is too small to eat them before they get stale:( lol

Edited to note three I forgot to mention: Travelling, I've been to Central America, most of Canada, and a few of the states, about half if I count airports too :)

I collect tea pots, have about 15 so far.

And on the slightly more odd, I read dictionaries, not for the purposes of expanding my English vocabulary, but my Spanish and German ones, there's also useful cultural notes in most too! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred