Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your unreleased dvd wants?

Naphtali

Practically Family
Some of these are available as used Video cassettes but not yet as DVDs.

Pink Jungle (1968), James Garner in a delightful comedy-adventure about treasure hunting. Great fun.

The Southern Star (1969?), George Segal, Orson Welles, Ursula Andress. Comedy-adventure version of Jules Verne's story of hunt for fabulous diamond in Africa.

Two for the Money (1965?), Robert Hooks, Richard Dreyfuss. I saw this made-for-television movie once. I believe this is Dreyfuss' first major film role. It is a superior mystery-suspence story of the hunt for a mass murderer.

Daughter of the Mind (1969), Don Murray, Ed Asner, Ray Milland, Gene Tierney. Based on Paul Gallico's novel, The Hand of Mary Constable, this made-for-television movie is a first-class suspense-mystery-supernatural thriller.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Well, first off, it'd be great if this movie could even make it onto circulated VHS, but DVD would be spectacular!
The Honey Pot (1967)
Based on the play "Volpone", this is a delightful comedy/mystery romp with Rex Harrison in the lead role of Sir Cecil Fox, in which he plays a wealthy aristocrat who invites three would-be heirs, all his ex-mistresses, under the pretense that he has passed away. A witty, smart production with a wonderful cast, it's a very much overlooked and under-appreciated little gem.
http://imdb.com/title/tt0061780/usercomments

Shamus Dark

New in Town
The Sea Wolf with Edward G and John Garfield. I don't think we had a VHS release here in England, let alone a DVD. I remember it as being a terrific film with a particularly good performance by Edward G. Bye the way, he's really good in another film called The Woman In The Window. This is a wonderful film and it's a shame it's not on DVD. Scarlet Street, which was also directed by Fritz Lang and has a similar plot is available on DVD, but the transfer is quite bad. Shame...

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
So much that I never thought I'd see is now out. Heaps of noir, serials, the early versions of Maltese Falcon, Mr Moto (2 volumes!) Charlie Chan (2 volumes!) and Michael Shayne Volume 1 is due soon.

I'd still like to see collections of The Falcon and Saint (with George Sanders please, no Roger Moore for me) films.

Also, why oh why is True Confessions still not available in R1?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
There was a hilarious British comedy series called "Cowboys" about some dodgy builders from the very early 80s which was brilliant and I would love to get a copy on DVD. Used to make me cry laughing.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Marc Chevalier said:
I want ...Vittorio De Sica's 1948 masterpiece of Italian Neorealism: "Ladri di Biciclette" ("The Bicycle Thief").
Feraud said:

Correction: I want a DECENT dvd version of this film. Please!!!

"This DVD version of an important film is terrible. Image Entertainment usually makes good digital transfers, and this disc is no exception. But the cause of my gripe isn't the transfer, it's the print used. The copy that Image offers on this DVD is in DESPERATE need of restoration. There are all manner of imperfections in this print -- blotches, streaks, jumps (sometimes for several frames!), scratches, etc. This makes for a visual and audio shadow of a great movie. As if this weren't bad enough, the subtitles are poor."

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
Correction: I want a DECENT dvd version of this film. Please!!!

"This DVD version of an important film is terrible. Image Entertainment usually makes good digital transfers, and this disc is no exception. But the cause of my gripe isn't the transfer, it's the print used. The copy that Image offers on this DVD is in DESPERATE need of restoration. There are all manner of imperfections in this print -- blotches, streaks, jumps (sometimes for several frames!), scratches, etc. This makes for a visual and audio shadow of a great movie. As if this weren't bad enough, the subtitles are poor."

Your wish has been granted:

Link and be happy

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
The Butcher Boy. It's modern (1997) but doesn't seem to exist. It's one of the best dark comedies ever made. Probably one of the darkest.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
More wants:

Hello, Larry
The Montefuscos
The Ken Berry 'Wow' Show
The complete run of the quiz show 'Press Your Luck'

As one of the few known Fans of Hello, Larry (a fraternal order as obscure as the Sons of Lee Marvin), you will be pleased to know that Kim Richards has stepped back from oblivion and is now one of the principals in the film Black Snake Moan.

She is unrecognizable.

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Great choices, everyone.

Would love to replace these VHSes with DVDs:

b70-9948

"(Ernest Hemingway's) THE KILLERS", 1946, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner - Hit men kill an unresisting victim, and investigator Reardon uncovers his past involvement with beautiful, deadly Kitty Collins.

EDGEOFDARKNESS_poster2.jpg

"EDGE OF DARKNESS", 1943, Errol Flynn, Ann Sheridan - Nazi's invasion of Norway: in a small fishing village that is headquarters to 150 German soldiers, the 800 locals are stewing, waiting for a supply of arms so they can revolt.

b70-16367

"NOTORIOUS", 1946, Cary Grant, Ingrid Bergman - A woman is asked to spy on a group of Nazi friends in South America. How far will she have to go to ingratiate herself with them? (not in print; inflated used prices, unless you want to buy for $50 from someone with "90% positive feedback"...)

and was about to say, out-of-the-groove as it my seem, "ROOTS" miniseries, 1977... but just saw on Amazon, its due for an anniversary edition release in 10 days - gotta love life's pleasant surprises.

- C H

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
  • Vivacious Lady - saw it on TCM a couple weeks ago - HILARIOUS! So much so I ordered a pirated DVD of it just so I could see it again. The VHS, from what I'm told, goes for a minimum of $75 if you can find it. Only the second pirated DVD I've bought...
  • Ball of Fire - another great flick. The first pirated DVD I bought...
  • Ellery Queen - mentioned by others - 'nuff said!
  • Homefront - the WWII TV series that, alas, lasted far too short.
  • The much-rumored boxed set of the Myrna Loy & William Powell non-Thin Man films.
Those are the top five on a long list of mine...

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Cousin Hepcat said:
Great choices, everyone.

Would love to replace these VHSes with DVDs:

b70-9948

"(Ernest Hemingway's) THE KILLERS", 1946, Burt Lancaster, Ava Gardner - Hit men kill an unresisting victim, and investigator Reardon uncovers his past involvement with beautiful, deadly Kitty Collins.

- C H

Criterion released The Killers quite a while ago in a killer package that included the made for TV remake by Don (Dirty Harry) Siegel and starring Lee Marvin and Ronald Reagan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy