Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Badluck Brody

Practically Family
Capt. Black Gold

I went with the Capt. Black gold because I was advised it was more mello and didn't smell as bad....

I agree it's not half bad and available anywhere! Seems like it's the middle of the road standard for most folks!

I'm getting hooked on a good pipe for every now and then. Plus it's kind of nice to have a couple of reliable pipes to collect and a variety of tobacco to choose from!

Cheers!

Mike K.

One Too Many
I think just about all of the Captain Blacks have a very nice room note. Captain Black White seems to be the most common of all the varieties, and its the one with that classic smell. I personally prefer CB Royal (or Royal mixed with White). A lot of new pipe smokers start out with these.

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
Badluck Brody said:
I went with the Capt. Black gold because I was advised it was more mello and didn't smell as bad....

I agree it's not half bad and available anywhere! Seems like it's the middle of the road standard for most folks!

I'm getting hooked on a good pipe for every now and then. Plus it's kind of nice to have a couple of reliable pipes to collect and a variety of tobacco to choose from!

Cheers!

Captain Black is the Budweiser of pipe tobacco. A lot of people like it. Those with a more refined palate normally don't. I find that it smokes VERY wet and soggy.

I'd suggest taking a look at the Macbaren line. J&R has the whole line.

Copper

One of the Regulars
This evening's nightcap (enjoying it as we speak) was Kirsten Pipe co's Mariner in my military mount rusticated Peterson, paired with a glass of Altos Malbec red wine.

ah, bliss.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Copper said:
This evening's nightcap (enjoying it as we speak) was Kirsten Pipe co's Mariner in my military mount rusticated Peterson, paired with a glass of Altos Malbec red wine.

ah, bliss.
That sounds pretty cool! no pics?:)

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
A Savanelli full of MacBaren Vintage Syrian

dc2.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Maybe a dumb question but I only have 1 pipe that came as a starter kit. Does the size of the bowl effect the quality of your pipe smoking, such as hotter or cooler? I know that at least to me it seems small and does not give much to hold on to.[huh]

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
Maybe a dumb question but I only have 1 pipe that came as a starter kit. Does the size of the bowl effect the quality of your pipe smoking, such as hotter or cooler? I know that at least to me it seems small and does not give much to hold on to.[huh]

The size of the bowl would have a marginal effect on hot/cold. Obviously the smoke is going to get stronger throughout a bowl as tars build up on the tobacco in the bottom when the smoke is drawn through it. There is also going to be more moisture build up in a large bowl. Generally a small or medium would be best to start with.

The big determinants, of course, are the tobacco itself and the quality of the briar. Then how long it is rested between smokes. Generally you'd only want to smoke a briar once a day or even less. That's why most regular smokers have a collection of pipes.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I would doubt it to be of any real quality since it came as a starter kit. I only smoke it a couple times a month, since I mainly stick with cigars.:) I would like to eventually get a nicer one.

Copper

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
That sounds pretty cool! no pics?:)

Sure! I didn't know if it was picworthy.

The pipe rest is a little silly, but I saw it being sold as a business card holder, and thought that it would make an interesting pipe rest.

pipe.jpg

Bolivar Fuerte-Cofradia
Sonnets From the Portuguese :D
Yes, I was influenced by the cool book like box they came in. ;)
BFLE.jpg

They work quite well for me. The Sumatran wrapper, Connecticut binder and perfect size makes them good for a nice evening.:cool2:
I'll might bring out the Savinelli Alligator filled with Argosy Black if I get a chance as well. ;)

Regards,

J

RockBottom

One of the Regulars
indycop said:
I would doubt it to be of any real quality since it came as a starter kit. I only smoke it a couple times a month, since I mainly stick with cigars.:) I would like to eventually get a nicer one.

Well, if you want to add any more, I've done some shopping around lately. First time I've added to my collection in decades. I'm a big fan of Savinelli, Bjarne Viking, and Stanwell.

Seem to be good prices at these places:

Vegas Smokes
Cup O Joes
Smoking Pipes

RedPop4

One Too Many
I haven't smoked in almost a week.
I had two nice cigars last Friday at the parades, and two nice cigars Sunday at the parades.

Friday was an unbanded, unlabeled beauty. Those are ALWAYS good, and you can never get them again. :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: Followed by a Tatuaje whilte label (for lack of the proper name just now.) For $4.50 it's a steal for a Tatuaje, but it's mixed filler. Still a nice little cigar.

Sunday was an old Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real ( believe they're called.) I delved into one of my less frequented humidors, an antique brass and copper cannister, and found this cigar. The cellophane was yellowed (usually a good sign) and I know I've had this at least five years. Very smoooth, enjoyable cigar while walking from the car to the parade route.

Later on in the day a regular, plain old Puros Indios that I've had on hand a long time, too. It too, smoked nicely. It didn't burn that well, because there was significant wind by the time I lit this one just before the Bacchus parade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass