Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

ET

One of the Regulars
The latest cigar story. I got a call Saturday morning from my mother telling me that my Dad was in the hospital having emergency surgery due to complications from a knee replacement. She wanted her children there now. First and only time she has called for anything like this. Left work. Packed the essentials for whatever happened. Black Suit. Jacket. Hat. Irish Whiskey. Cigars. Cash. Jeans. Got on the first plane from Wisconsin to Florida, with only my usual extra special treatment by TSA, cause fat balding Irish guys whose family has been here since 1623 on one side of the family and 1841 on the other fit the profiles which we don't do in the US of A. Other than that aside, got to FLA with great cooperation by airlines in a very reasonable amount of time. Dad made it through surgery with a better prognosis than what he started with, so it seemed like the appropriate time to have a little whiskey and smokey treats with my brothers.

Long relaxing smoke: Arturo Fuentes Don Carlos #3. Jameson's finest whiskey in nice quantities.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Cigar of the Week

If it's ok with everyone, I'd like to post a Cigar of the Week to this thread to give folks an idea of new things out on the market and old favorites worth trying . . . so here goes . . .

This week's Cigar of the Week is the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Legend. A fantastic new release from General Cigar. I'm really not too fond of Hoyo De Monterrey. I do like the regular Excalibur line, but not much of anything else. However, this new addition is a great smoke. A medium to full bodied smoke made from a Cuban seed US Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder with Dominican and Nicaraguan filler.

Beautiful looking cigar, the wrapper has a nice cinnamon looking color which reminds me of a Rosado wrapper. Very well constructed, held it's ash for a good 2 inches without even trying. What I like most about this stick is that it doesn't break the bank. Very moderately priced and gives Rocky Patel and Padron's some great competition. Go out and give it a try guys and happy smoking.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Had a La Diferencia Cubana ready for late last night but rolled up on something that ended up in a massive callout so I ended up giving to the detective.:mad: Hopefully he enjoyed and didn't waste it.

CigarMan said:
If it's ok with everyone, I'd like to post a Cigar of the Week to this thread to give folks an idea of new things out on the market and old favorites worth trying . . . so here goes . . .

This week's Cigar of the Week is the Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur Legend. A fantastic new release from General Cigar. I'm really not too fond of Hoyo De Monterrey. I do like the regular Excalibur line, but not much of anything else. However, this new addition is a great smoke. A medium to full bodied smoke made from a Cuban seed US Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder with Dominican and Nicaraguan filler.

Beautiful looking cigar, the wrapper has a nice cinnamon looking color which reminds me of a Rosado wrapper. Very well constructed, held it's ash for a good 2 inches without even trying. What I like most about this stick is that it doesn't break the bank. Very moderately priced and gives Rocky Patel and Padron's some great competition. Go out and give it a try guys and happy smoking.

No bitterness detected?
I ask because The 1066s have a horrible bitter taste to me. [huh]

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
You could have sent it to me. ;) :p Geez, what a way to spend an evening.
I didn't get around to smoking anything if that is any consulation. :eusa_doh:
I am going to make up for it tonight since i am off finally!! Last night was one of those I could have ended up never getting to smoke a cigar again nights but the guy took care of himself instead of me.

RedPop4

One Too Many
Can't remember the last time I had a Hoyo de Monterrey. That was my first ever purchase, ten years ago. Famous Smoke Shop had a really good special on Hoyo de Monterrey Cristales, very roughly wrapped Lonsdales, came in a "cookie cannister" glass humi, with a little bitty pipe tobacco humidifier.

Never had a bad Hoyo, though. The Rothchilds in the box of 50 is one of the better deals in cigardom, right around $95-$100 per.

RedPop4 said:
Can't remember the last time I had a Hoyo de Monterrey. That was my first ever purchase, ten years ago. Famous Smoke Shop had a really good special on Hoyo de Monterrey Cristales, very roughly wrapped Lonsdales, came in a "cookie cannister" glass humi, with a little bitty pipe tobacco humidifier.

Never had a bad Hoyo, though. The Rothchilds in the box of 50 is one of the better deals in cigardom, right around $95-$100 per.

I'll send you the dozen or so I have left to refresh your memory. ;) :p
The regular Hoyo wasn't so bad by the Excaliber 1066 were horrible. I got these about two years ago. Age has not made a bit of difference on the bitter taste either. I'll send you a few if you care to try them. ;) Just PM me that address. I'll be glad to make room for something else from that little exotic island. :D

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I'll be glad to make room for something else from that little exotic island. :D

That's problem James. It's a self fulfilling prophecy. Once you smoke the "island stuff" and get a taste for them, everything else starts to taste lousy. Are you getting the metallic taste?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic