Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Yes indeed, CAO is not the only brand out there. ;) :p
The Olivas aren't mild and you still like them?!;) :D
CAO not the only brand ! Blasphemy!!
I like medium cigars and some full cigars but I don't like the head spinning you know its full from the start cigars.

I had a Montecristo Platinum yesterday. Robusto size. Not particularly strong. In fact mild to me. This was the last of the three pack sampler I received. The flavor was pretty strong thouogh. It was very leathery and woody in taste. The draw was very good and it produced enough smoke to drive away flies and gnats. :D These were all well constructed and had an extra Vintage 1999 band below the regular Montecristo band. I have not seen these on the platinums that are available now. I take solace in the fact that I still have another three pack left to enjoy if it is different in the production models. :cool2:
I definitely liked the Monte Platinum that I tried.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
rbbrock said:
You should try an Opus No. 5! ;) :D
I tried OPus X, hated them I flushed the last one I had but I had an excellent Fuente Reserva so I don't hate the whole Fuente line.
When I first started with cigars it seemed the thing was the bigger the better now I prefer Robusto size and not too big a ring gauge.

rbbrock said:
Your point is valid. I've only ever tried one Monte No. 2, and while it was certainly good, it wasn't great, and I don't see paying $12-$15 per stick as worth it, at least for my taste. I have been hearing a lot about the PEs, though, so I may have to give those a try. They can be had in 10-packs, I believe? I'll just add another box to the list, I guess. :rolleyes:

Now that you mention it, the word on the street on all of the new short, fat cigars (Monte PE, Hoto Petite Robusto, RyJ Short Churchill) is that they're excellent, and I believe more marcas are adding similar sizes in the coming year.

Yes, the word on the street is indeed true. The success of the PE and others has spurred a bunch of new cigars in the short and fat realm. :D A good thing for me, as I have less time but still enjoy a full bodied cigar. The PE delivers. They aren't what I would call strong but they are full bodied and you get a corona punch out of a short cigar. :D
They can be obtained in boxes of ten for about $80. Add that box to the list. Then add a box of Partagas Culebras. They're a little cheaper. ;) :D

rbbrock said:
Rats, now that I checked, there are no regular production short, fat cigars along the lines of those examples being added. There is a PSD5 (50 rg x 110 mm) being added as an '08 Edicion Limitada, a Short Bolivar (52 x 110) as an Asia-Pacific Regional, a La Gloria Cubana Marshall (50 x 124) as a Caribbean Regional, a Bolivar Petite Libertador (50 x 102) as a France Regional, and a Vegas Robaina Petite Robusto (50 x 102) as a Portugal Regional.

It will be interesting to see if these cigars are received as well as the ones mentioned above, because most of these brands already have robustos in their lines.

I am sure you can get those some place out there.
I can only find the
Partagas Shorts: 110 x 42.
Bolivar Coronas Junior: 110 x 42 and a Petite Coronas Cabinet: 129 x 42
Vegas Robaina Famosas 127 x 48
so far anyway. ;) :D

indycop said:
CAO not the only brand ! Blasphemy!!
I like medium cigars and some full cigars but I don't like the head spinning you know its full from the start cigars.

I definitely liked the Monte Platinum that I tried.

I figured you would like the platinum. It fits everything you described. Not too strong. Full flavored and not spicy. ;) :p
You should come by some time and try a Culebra. ;) lol lol

indycop said:
I tried OPus X, hated them I flushed the last one I had but I had an excellent Fuente Reserva so I don't hate the whole Fuente line.
When I first started with cigars it seemed the thing was the bigger the better now I prefer Robusto size and not too big a ring gauge.

Oh geez! Now you are getting near Blasphemy. :eusa_doh: :p
Bigger is always better. lol lol lol

Hefwriter

New in Town
New hear, enjoying the lounge so far! As usual, enjoyed my vintage Rolex vest pipe, just the right size for an after-dinner smoke with a nice glass of scotch.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Well, for shorter:rolleyes: go with the Bolivar Sonnets. There is also the Partagas, La Gloria Cubana or VSG. All of them will do fine with rum. I say take the rum and make a Mai Tai instead though. :D
VSG= Ashton?
I don't know how to make a Mai Tai!:eusa_doh:
I saw this in my CAO newsletter!:D

BREAKING NEWS: INTRODUCING THE NEW CAO - - - !
You didn’t really think we’d let the cat out of the proverbial bag THAT easily, did you???

But now that we have your attention….in the coming weeks, subscribers to CAO All-Access will be among the first to receive the announcement of CAO’s NEW brand release…..so STAY TUNED!

:D :D :D

indycop said:
VSG= Ashton?
I don't know how to make a Mai Tai!:eusa_doh:
I saw this in my CAO newsletter!:D

BREAKING NEWS: INTRODUCING THE NEW CAO - - - !
You didn’t really think we’d let the cat out of the proverbial bag THAT easily, did you???

But now that we have your attention….in the coming weeks, subscribers to CAO All-Access will be among the first to receive the announcement of CAO’s NEW brand release…..so STAY TUNED!

:D

Yes, Ashton Virgin Sun Grown. Ahhhhhhh!
You don't know how to make a Mai Tai?!:eek: :eusa_doh:
I'll see if I can find my recipe.
Oh geez. Its the CAO tool again. ;) :p
Does this mean that now that you are in good with the president of the company; you get a free box?:D
"Its the CAO Equador. You get a free panama hat with every box purchased." :rolleyes: :p

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Yes, the word on the street is indeed true. The success of the PE and others has spurred a bunch of new cigars in the short and fat realm. :D A good thing for me, as I have less time but still enjoy a full bodied cigar. The PE delivers. They aren't what I would call strong but they are full bodied and you get a corona punch out of a short cigar. :D
They can be obtained in boxes of ten for about $80. Add that box to the list. Then add a box of Partagas Culebras. They're a little cheaper. ;) :D

Have you had the Hoyo Petit Robusto? They have been around for a few years now. Really a very nice cigar. I am a slow smoker, so they take me around an hour, even with the smaller length.
I also highly recommend the Por Larranaga Panatela. What a flavorful little smoke!! And soooooooo reasonable!
I still have to pick up a box of the Culebras, thanks for the reminder! :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Oh geez. Its the CAO tool again. ;) :p
Does this mean that now that you are in good with the president of the company; you get a free box?:D
"Its the CAO Equador. You get a free panama hat with every box purchased." :rolleyes: :p
:eek: lol lol lol lol
Ok, I just got back from the store with some Sailor Jerry and my first H Upman and a couple Fuentes!

deelovely

Practically Family
He went and got it, but I am the one enjoying it since he is sick with a cold. I made myself a Black Pearl with the Sailor Jerry to go with my Fuente Corona! ;)

rbbrock

Familiar Face
That is excellent indeed, Dee. :D

Last night I enjoyed a Bolivar petite corona on the deck after dinner, and a DPG black robusto later in the evening. Both were quite good.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
indycop said:

I did the same thing; I prefer Churchill size now however.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy