Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
I'm almost ready to start a thread on what to pair
with your cigar. I smoked the Patel while drinking a
Green Flash IPA.
That would be great, I don't drink much and it's usually not the hard stuff but would like to know what goes with what! Never heard of Green Flash before.:)

rikrdo

A-List Customer
what to drink with.........

I like:

Coffee
Water or
Port. Vintage, preferably but some Tawny's go nicely with mild, creamy cigars.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
MissS said:
One does not use the word 'esky' unless one can add a long drawn out 'maaaate' after it, so if you can pull that off, Indy, go ahead! And don't forget to do it with an Akubra on your head and beer in the hand. lol
I opened the coolidor tonight and had Deelovely pick her cigar, When she started taking too long I said hurry up and close my Esky Maaaate! She just ignored me so after waiting I finally asked her if she heard what I said. She says yes but I didn't know what you were talking about.:eusa_doh: lol

Tonight's smoke was a Por Larranaga for both of us. Outstanding as expected and she nubbed hers.lol

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
I have most of my cigars with coffee but the last Bolivar i had with hot apple cider and it was great.:)
Coffee is a good choice. But I tend to smoke my cigars before
bed. Not that I don't occasionally have late night coffee, but
it's not a good practice. BTW, there are studies showing that
people who drink coffee while they smoke are less likely to get cancer.

Port is also an excellent choice.

Oh, and Green Flash is another fine California microbrew.
The "green flash" refers to the fabled green flash that is said
to occur just as the sun falls over the horizon. West coast brew after all.
Their web site is unimaginably slow, so I'll list this one instead:

http://www.ratebeer.com/Place/california/vista/green-flash-brewing/3035.htm

I think when it first came out one of my locals served it with a
bud of hops floating on top. A nicely hoppy IPA, so I figured it was
strong enough to go toe to toe with a cigar. Nope. But a better
choice than stout, as it turns out.

I'll be in Miami in about a week. What's a good local brew there? Or is this
better saved for another thread?

indycop

I'll Lock Up
I pretty much have all my cigars later at night be it at work or home. Usually with coffee which actually helps me sleep[huh] Sometimes though I like one with a Coke. I don't know about the beer in Miami but having worked with an officer who retired from there, I have been told you must try the Cuban coffees that are everywhere there. I think it's called Cafe Con Leche, I could very well be wrong about the name but its supposed to come in a little cup and pack a punch.:D
And try Sosa cigar, I think they are based out of Miami. They were my favorite for a long time.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Tonight I tried K. Hansotia's Park Avenue torpedo right out of the box I received from Cigars International today. I very nice looking cigar with a somewhat different scent (I always smell the cigar before I smoke it). It was very nice - I would say mild to medium bodied with a nice even burn and pleasant taste, slightly spicy and creamy at the same time. I also picked up some Sherpas; I might have to try one of those tomorrow.

Has anyone else tried either of these cigars?

MissS

A-List Customer
indycop said:
I opened the coolidor tonight and had Deelovely pick her cigar, When she started taking too long I said hurry up and close my Esky Maaaate! She just ignored me so after waiting I finally asked her if she heard what I said. She says yes but I didn't know what you were talking about.:eusa_doh: lol

lol lol lol lol Indy, you are priceless!

Eduard

Familiar Face
indycop said:
A coolidor is a cheap humidor for folks like me that could either have a 100 cigar capacity humidor or some cigars to smoke but not both!:D lol
Seriously it is an easy and cheap humidor. Get a cooler, your typical camping drink holding variety with a good seal. You can put cedar in it or just put some empty wooden cigar boxes in there. I have a couple of drew estates brands that have tobacco leaves around the box so I just put all that in there. Then a Hygrometer to check your temp and humidity and a humidification device. I don't have a lot of cigars and with the wife smoking them too they go fast anyway so I have a 48 quart cooler. I also noticed that the temp. in my coolider is much lower than in my humidor so I don't even use my humi's anymore, just my coolidor.:D

Good idea... a steady temperature is way harder to achieve than 69-70% humidity... Your "coolidor" solves that issue lol

indycop

I'll Lock Up
maintcoder said:
Tonight I tried K. Hansotia's Park Avenue torpedo right out of the box I received from Cigars International today. I very nice looking cigar with a somewhat different scent (I always smell the cigar before I smoke it). It was very nice - I would say mild to medium bodied with a nice even burn and pleasant taste, slightly spicy and creamy at the same time. I also picked up some Sherpas; I might have to try one of those tomorrow.

Has anyone else tried either of these cigars?
I have tried many of the Gurkhas but not those yet.

Eduard

Familiar Face
Had a Diplomaticos No. 2 yesterday... It's a so called pyramid. When one thinks of Cuban cigars they tend to envision cigars of amazing power and strength. Not true of the wonderful Diplomaticos No. 2. This is a classic medium bodied cigar that only has minimal spice. Certainly not what many expect from a good Cuban. But what it lacks in strength it makes up in flavor and complexity. To the veteran smoker this one will knock your socks off. Absolutely delicious. It has a wonderful and unique character that must be tasted to understand...

BobC

[
QUOTE=indycop]Saturday night at Fuego's in Pleasure Island, Sosa churchill for me and Sosa no. 4 for Deelovely.:D

P1190001.jpg
[/QUOTE]

A handsome couple, IC and Dee.

We just got back from a few days in the Bahamas where I smoked several of my favorite Cubans...Partagas Series D #4...a very nice robusto. This year I even found a place that sold them a lot cheaper than I had paid before, making the experience even more pleasurable. I especially enjoy them with a glass of Johnny Black on the rocks.

Damn that embargo. Does it really matter anymore?

BobC

We flew. We like to get there and spend as much time as we can there. We've been going to Freeport for ten years and have looked at short term rentals there for three or four months in an attempt to plan for retirement if that ever finally arrives. We really like it there and have stayed at the same hotel for the last four or five years. Almost everything we need is there or within walking distance (liquor store, cigar shop, restaurants, beach, pool, liquor store, cigar shop);) ;)

feltfan

indycop said:
I pretty much have all my cigars later at night be it at work or home. Usually with coffee which actually helps me sleep[huh] Sometimes though I like one with a Coke. I don't know about the beer in Miami but
Whoa. Have you tried Ritalin?

indycop said:
having worked with an officer who retired from there, I have been told you must try the Cuban coffees that are everywhere there. I think it's called Cafe Con Leche, I could very well be wrong about the name but its supposed to come in a little cup and pack a punch.:D
Had it last time I was there. I am REALLY looking forward to
it this time. More affordable than the Cuban guyabera shirts from
El Rey De Los Guayaberas, and almost as much fun.

indycop said:
And try Sosa cigar, I think they are based out of Miami. They were my favorite for a long time.
That was going to be my other request- which cigar makers are
worth a visit- and more on topic.
Looks like I can visit them when I'm there. I will report back.

And on topic, I tried the first of the Reserva Real cigars from that deal JP
let us in on. A very nice smoke. Truly expertly rolled- a lesson in cigar ash.
Nice even flavor, too. The deal is still on!

Oh, with a small shot of Elijah Craig 12 year old bourbon. A good pairing.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
feltfan said:
Whoa. Have you tried Ritalin?
:eek: lol lol Nope , My body clock is so screwed up though cos I work from 6PM to 6 Am and then when I am not working I kinda sorta switch back to a normal sleep pattern. It is pretty rough on me though which probably explains why I get to visit the Cardiologist in about 9 hours.:eusa_doh:

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Tonight was a CAO Brazilia for me and a La Vieja Habana for Dee. We were laying in the hammock having our cigars when her ash dropped onto her shirt so she jumped up off the hammock which in turn sent me flying:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: The cigar was great though, still one of my top 3 favorites!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy