Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Defines a Mullet?

MAB1

Suspended
What is a mullet? Long hair w/ bangs?

I'm an old hippy. More a byproduct of the 60's, as a child of the 70's.

Way back when, I used to get my LONG hair Feathered, Layered, Shagged etc.

I just cut myself some bangs and held the mass up in the air and hacked off atout 6". Whether it's considered a mullet or not is a mute point, since I I'm seldom seen without a hat.

Which leads me back to the original question.

What Defines a Mullet?

and why is it so frowned upon now? I see lots of women still sporting mullet like creations.

Just wondering,

miss_elise

Practically Family
a mullet is any hair style that can be described as "business at the front, party at the back"

there are quite a few female mullets going around at the moment...possibly because many people are blind? lol

mullet.jpg
15496d1146955100-ahh-word-mullet-mullet-family.jpg

mullet1.jpg
jesse-mullet-analogy.jpg

the mullet is usually frowned upon because only yobs or rednecks have them...or people stuck in the 80s

some can be more subtle than others, but most of them are bad...there is the occasional good one...maybe

Lillemor

One Too Many
It's those mental images of 80s mullets that put most people off. I've seen some modified Japanese mullets I don't actually think look that bad but the layers are longer and blend in more, they're nearly shags. The shag suits just about everyone if cut well because it can be adjusted to any face shape, hair type and if you're the trendy type, you can always update it.

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
RetroModelSari said:
Ah.... So it is what we call a Vokuhila in Germany (VOrne KUrz HInten LAng) lol

I was just thinking of Vokuhila when I was reading this!

I think the photo's provided by Miss Elise can give you an idea why a Mullet us frowed upon. I mean look at the photo of the family! That kid will never be able to share baby photos - ever! In one foul stroke she has become a child without a past lol

If you really want to be shocked have a look at http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

Lillemor

One Too Many
Godfrey said:
I was just thinking of Vokuhila when I was reading this!

I think the photo's provided by Miss Elise can give you an idea why a Mullet us frowed upon. I mean look at the photo of the family! That kid will never be able to share baby photos - ever! In one foul stroke she has become a child without a past lol

If you really want to be shocked have a look at http://www.mulletsgalore.com/

You put it so well!lol

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
OK, but here's the REAL question.... Do you get a mullet because you own a rusted out, POS Camaro, or do you get a rusted out, POS Camaro because you have a mullet?:p

Naama

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
Ah.... So it is what we call a Vokuhila in Germany (VOrne KUrz HInten LAng) lol

I wonder, do people really go to a hairdresser and ask for a Vokuhila? lol

Naama

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Franklin is not sporting a mullet.

Which are also called Kentucky Top Hat, Tennessee Waterfall...

I've heard waterfall, but I love top hat.
The soccer rocker was common when I was in high school.
For some reason, if you kicked a ball, a mullet was mandatory.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Mossyrock said:
OK, but here's the REAL question.... Do you get a mullet because you own a rusted out, POS Camaro, or do you get a rusted out, POS Camaro because you have a mullet?:p

(not so)...scientific studies have proven that aquisition of either results in the near-simultaneous aquisition of the other.

olive bleu

One Too Many
15496d1146955100-ahh-word-mullet-mullet

That... is freakin' fabulous lol lol

I used to drive myself nuts nagging my kids to go get a hair cut.Now i just say, you know i think you're starting to grow a mullet there, and they are practically SPRINTING to the barbershop!! :D

thebadmamajama

Practically Family
ooooooh yeah, The Missouri Compromise. ;) (i do not sport one, although when I lived in France I asked for a trim and came out with a mullet. i enjoyed my friends trying to console me and tell me it "wasn't...exactly...a mullet...)

MAB1

Suspended
Mossyrock said:

Does my rusted out El Camino count? :D

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Lately I discovered that m9ore and more guys in their teenager years - early 20s start to wear it again. It makes me wanna show them photos suc as displayed here as examples... Why would someone want that so? Didn´t they see the horrid photos of their fatters in their youth?! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot