Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What degree of rake do you prefer?

Using the examples in Blackthorn's initial post in this thread, my preference would be the "steeper" rake like in the third example. Trouble is, my head takes up too much of the crown when I'm wearing my hats so they all end up more like the "regular" example. A little rake is better than none at all.

Using the examples in Blackthorn's initial post in this thread, my preference would be the "steeper" rake like in the third example. Trouble is, my head takes up too much of the crown when I'm wearing my hats so they all end up more like the "regular" example. A little rake is better than none at all.

You wouldn’t have this issue with a 7” crown western. :)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
CB4F5710-3D10-4D16-8DC0-84DEA60302E3.jpeg
294EA8C5-C57E-4850-B16A-3F3F29E037C4.jpeg
You wouldn’t have this issue with a 7” crown western. :)
7” crown, CN BRE
Was a Gus about a minute ago.
B

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is a nice trip down memory lane. I remember a lot of these old members and I've often wondered what happened to them. Anyway, the sweet spot for me, as far as rake degree, is 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in the back...the hat pictured is a Resistol Stagecoach that I converted sometime back:
Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg

Hi

Sam Craig above, passed away before June 2012 (when I left Kansas). He lived in Great Bend and I went to a 4H event there with part of our group. We were both there, but didn't find each other. In a way, my Mike Moore / John Wayne Cavalry hat is in his honor.

Its in this thread:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ats-that-major-mike-moore-makes.34367/page-32

Later

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Hi

Sam Craig above, passed away before June 2012 (when I left Kansas). He lived in Great Bend and I went to a 4H event there with part of our group. We were both there, but didn't find each other. In a way, my Mike Moore / John Wayne Cavalry hat is in his honor.

Its in this thread:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ats-that-major-mike-moore-makes.34367/page-32

Later
That's a nice looking hat that Buckaroo Hatters made up for you. John Wayne's 'Fort Apache' hat? The link you posted provided another nice trip down memory lane. All those familiar faces who are no longer on the Lounge.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's a nice looking hat that Buckaroo Hatters made up for you. John Wayne's 'Fort Apache' hat? The link you posted provided another nice trip down memory lane. All those familiar faces who are no longer on the Lounge.
HI
Yep, John Wayne hat from Fort Apache, without the flipped up front. I bought it on Saturday and walked Shiloh the next day in the rain.

Covington is a really great road trip. Go to Dixie Gun Works in the Northwest corner of Tennessee all day Friday, drive to Covington and eat at Wyatt Earp's if they're still open, have breakfast at the Billing's Bald Butcher's Breakfast place, all you can eat buffet. Go get hats fitted and started, drive to Fort Pillow and see it, eat dinner at Erwin's Great Steaks, eat breakfast at Breakfast Cove, go see how the hats are going. Get hats, drive to Shiloh military park stay all night somewhere, drive to Nashville and see Grand Ole Opry and Andrew Jackson's home, OR drive to Lynchburg TN and see Mr Jack. I looked it up, when we went to Covington in December 2019, Erwin's was closed and Wyatt Earp had been indited for tax evasion. Both back open again. If memory serves, Erwin passed away.

Later

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
HI
Yep, John Wayne hat from Fort Apache, without the flipped up front. I bought it on Saturday and walked Shiloh the next day in the rain.

Covington is a really great road trip. Go to Dixie Gun Works in the Northwest corner of Tennessee all day Friday, drive to Covington and eat at Wyatt Earp's if they're still open, have breakfast at the Billing's Bald Butcher's Breakfast place, all you can eat buffet. Go get hats fitted and started, drive to Fort Pillow and see it, eat dinner at Erwin's Great Steaks, eat breakfast at Breakfast Cove, go see how the hats are going. Get hats, drive to Shiloh military park stay all night somewhere, drive to Nashville and see Grand Ole Opry and Andrew Jackson's home, OR drive to Lynchburg TN and see Mr Jack. I looked it up, when we went to Covington in December 2019, Erwin's was closed and Wyatt Earp had been indited for tax evasion. Both back open again. If memory serves, Erwin passed away.

Later
One of these days I gotta get up that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany