Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Want To Be When You Grew Up?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I came across an old childhood scrapbook today, full of clippings I collected around the second grade -- most of them articles about space. That got me thinking about my earliest childhood ambition -- to be an astronomer. I even got a telescope for Christmas when I was eight, and I loved looking at the moon. But I gave up that dream because I realized math was involved in serious astronomy -- and math and I have long had an understanding to stay out of each other's way.

So then I decided that, since I always read the funnies, I would be a cartoonist. I kept at that all thru high school, and actually amassed a drawerful of rejection slips -- some of them even personalized -- before giving it up.

Then I ended up going into radio and writing -- neither of which had anything to do with either of my childhood ambitions.

How 'bout you? What was your childhood dream -- and did you stick with it?

S

Samsa

Wow...haven't thought about this topic for a while. I've always had too many interests, and as a result wanted to be different things. Those included:

rock star (I don't think I need to tell you how that one worked out)
architect (don't have the math skills)
poet (i am still a part time doggerelist, but don't see that going anywhere)
lawyer (just started law school, so I guess this is the one)

I'm curious to see what other loungers will have to say about their childhoods...

CharlieH.

One Too Many
When I was but a tyke of 4 years old, I wanted to be a farmer... little did I know.
Between the ages of 5 and 10, I wanted to be a railroad engineer, but I was put off by numerous stories of magnificent train wrecks and the fact that steam engines are no longer used. Diesels, phooey!
Following that, I was bitten by the cartoon bug and I wanted to become an animator or a comic strip artist (and badly so). I dreamed of having my own studio and probably, just probably, become the next Bob Clampett or Chuck Jones.
Nowadays, I stick to that last dream, but without the heavy rosy tint.

Elaina

One Too Many
I had a weird childhood. Not exactly the happiest.

I wanted to be a chemist and a writer. I did the chemistry bit up until my senior year of high school, and got arrested for stealing all the guinea pigs from the college. I couldn't kill them with a radioactive chemical I KNEW was going to kill them. So that was a no go.

Then I always wanted to be a writer. I am.

Then in my teenage years I wanted to be a fashion designer. I finish up my degree soon.

Elaina

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I started out wanting to be a doctor or a chemist (too many Madame Currie and Louis Pasteur biographies). After killing all the banana trees in our courtyard and nearly killing a cat with my chemistry set, I moved onto architect. I stayed in that mode for several years until I realized that I was hopeless in complex math and couldn't draw so much as a straight line. I still love fiddling with houses, though. I settled for lawyer by college. Now all I want to be is retired. When I grow up.

Millionaire playboy. No kidding. The sort that had a valet and a Park Avenue apartment. I certainly watched too many 60s movies when I was kid. It didn't matter what I was going to do to make money - perhaps I'd be a cartoonist like Jack Lemmon in 'How to Murder Your Wife' - all that mattered was that I'd have that apartment and the valet.

Hate to admit it, but I think I'm still pursuing that goal.:eusa_doh:

Regards,

Senator Jack

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Believe it or not, I wanted to be a housewife! I still want to be a mom, and this is just my opinion, I went into the field I'm in with the thought in mind that I'd be able to hold down a job and still be a mom. The field I'm in is very flexible, and I will hopefully be able to take a job in which I will only work when my kids (when I have them) are in school. I hope that I am in a situation to be able to do this.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Boyhood Ambition

Army officer. Enlisted at seventeen, volunteered
for Vietnam; later, while serving as an advisor with the Greek Army
in Macedonia, met a Greek girl, tossed away a regular army
West Point appointment to marry her, had to rotate back to the
USA for seven months, went back to Greece a newly-minted almost
twenty-one year old civy bachelor for the wedding, and returned
a bachelor... Left the Army for a woman who didn't want to marry
a soldier, nor be a GI Bill wife. Having thrown away the Point and a
regular army commission during the post-war reduction in force, I
stayed a civy.

Jay

Practically Family
I wanted to be a pilot. (Does this qualify as a childhood ambition if I'm still only 18?) Which brings me to Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University at the present time.

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Secret Agent...

When i was a kid I had a Fuller Brush Man Letter Opener for a "dagger" and a Johnson & Smith Spy Kit and watched all the episodes of Wild, Wild West; Prisoner; Avengers; Get Smart; Man from U.N.C.L.E.; Mission Impossible; Batman; Jonny Quest and of course Bond, James Bond.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Hmm... I think it goes like this in order of time:
Fashion Designer
Animator
Art Teacher
English Teacher
Costume Designer
Housewife & mum
And now I guess if I can't be a housewife (God willing I will be...) I suppose I'll move to Europe and work in costume museams... after I get another degree of course!

Novella

Practically Family
I wanted to be an actress when I was really little, then I wanted to be a film director, and inbetween and during all of that I wanted to be a writer. I do a lot of writing as a history major, so in a way I'm a writer (although when I was younger I wanted to do fiction writing and not academic).

Phobic

New in Town
As a very young child, I wanted to be a dinosaur when i grew up. After these dreams were broken, I wanted to be an architect.(I'm glad to see I wasn't the only child with this ambition.)
Eventualy, that developed into a desire to be a Mechanical Engineer. Which lasted until my second year of college, when I realized I didn't enjoy it, and was quite bad at it too. Now, I'm not sure what I want to be, I'm thinking of going back to Dinosaur.

skinnychik

One of the Regulars
After being told I could become anything I wanted to be, I announced that I wanted to be...

...a turtle.

I have no idea why. Little kids don't use logic...I've not grown out of that.

You see, Phobic, reptiles are a very common thing to want to be. :)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As a second-generation film buff, from an early age I wanted to be a filmmaker. That could be writer-director, cinematographer, editor... I did it all (including acting by default) in the Super 8 and 16mm films (and half-inch open reel videotape projects) I made in my high school/college years.

Alas, it was not to be. By the time I got out of college, I had impressive skills and talent, but no connections in the industry, nor (even more importantly) the self-confidence and aggressive personality required to make it in such a competitive field. So I've settled for being a lifelong film collector/scholar/critic...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24