Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
My job is looking for a job!

Just got my masters in animation. Whoo hoo!

Im an illustrator (childrens books mainly)
Storyboard artist
character designer
printmaker (Love lino cuts!!)

Right now Im the concept artist for a film in pre production, so wholl know how that goes.

Im also working on a grafic novel (fantasy) we'll see where that leads.

LD

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
What's your occupation?

What do you all do for a living? I would dare say I am probably one of the very few participants here that would be classified as "blue collar".;)

I work in a lumberyard, hauling, heaving, lifting, carrying, packing, and stacking lumber, concrete and nails. I am a part-time gunsmith, building 18th century style flintlock rifles.

Your turn.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
There've been similar threads in the past. Maybe someone generous and noble will link it for us.

However, since my occupations have fluctuated immensely in the last year, I don't mind replying anew. In the last year, I have:
-Proofread for a National Homeopathy Newsletter.
-Written for a Cinematography magazine.
-Tested video games.
-Freelance copywritten for various internet sites.

Currently, I'm trying to pay rent off the latter. Who knows what I'll be doing next month.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm a corporate research analyst, which is a fancy way of saying I find and summarize information for folks at a corporation.

At various times in my life I've worked as a clerk in a frozen yogurt shop and a bakery, a librarian, an executive assistant, a book store clerk, an event planner, a consultant (3 months; I was miserable and cried every day), a researcher for a dot com (free soda; cool!), a clerk at Williams Sonoma, a researcher at the Department of Transportation, a marketing assistant and a legal researcher.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Interesting topic

I find it interesting, expecially those who make vintage a lifestyle. I know a lot of Rockabilly guys in Seattle who work very hard at looking all working class, drinking the pabst blue ribbon and wearing wife beaters, but most of them are computer programmers.

I knew a guy in Sf who was a machinist, and usually dressed very intentionally like his counterpart of the 1930s or 40s. shirt and tie, with slacks and a leather jacket and fedora or cap for example. Kind of a skilled working class guy with maybe a good suit in the closet.
I am a real estate agent. I don't wear vintage when I work. I used to have a fantasy about living in LA and wearing nothing but vintage and driving a classic car, and making my niche as "that agent who wears vintage and drives you around in his old car." In LA it probably would transalte into a great career. In Seattle people just wouldn't get it. Maybe someday I will move to LA.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
I'm a writer. TV and film mostly (albeit, on the film side, ONLY rewrites). BUT I used to be a stage electric, carpenter and stage manager for live theater. Lord, do I miss my callouses!

I took early retirement from General Motors seven years ago..freeing me up to work in my small art studio. I,now,set my own schedule revolving around summers of motorcycle riding. Second childhood!
HD

Steve

Practically Family
Right now I'm an assistant manger in a karate school. Aside from working the desk, making fliers and updating the web site, I also help with the junior classes.

On the side, I'm a writer and freelance photographer. After the first of the year, some friends and I are setting up a small-scale concept art and graphic design business, doing independent photography and design. I'm looking forward to that.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
No contempt meant

I have nothing against software people. I know plenty and respect them. ANd no problem with people who are into vintage, but have a modern job, although when were computers invented, 1940s?

I just thought it was funny how I met these rockabilly guys and assumed they were body and fender men or something from the way they dressed and acted, very deliberately 50s working guy. So when I found out they were high tech, I thought it was funny.

moustache

Practically Family
Same except....

Fatdutchman said:
What do you all do for a living? I would dare say I am probably one of the very few participants here that would be classified as "blue collar".;)

I work in a lumberyard, hauling, heaving, lifting, carrying, packing, and stacking lumber, concrete and nails. I am a part-time gunsmith, building 18th century style flintlock rifles.

Your turn.

I work in a lumberyard as well dutchman.But as inside contractor sales.I put in my 15 years worth of the heavy jobs.Now i have earned the inside job.lol

Thats my only occupation.Used to be a freelance photographer and occasional writer.

JD in Vancouver,Wa

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I'm the "Art Administrator" and head of security at an illustration museum that only has one other office employee besides myself. So basically I do half of everything. Book keeping, graphic design stuff, PR, correspondence, tours, security, etc. Heck, I even end up doing groundskeeping every once in a while. The museum is in a Gilded Age mansion, and one of the fringe benefits of being in charge of security is they've got me living in what used to be the carriage house on the grounds rent free, so that's pretty sweet.

Alot of the paintings in the museum come from the same time period as much of the fashion and things discussed here on the FL, so just in case any of you Fedora Loungers feel like checking out the web site, its www.americanillustration.org.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
Right now I'm a full-time student at UCLA (art major). I also work in the library business offices, dealing with billing (library fines) and the millions upon millions of invoices we get for the books we purchase.

It's a bit of a headache at times, but I just got a raise, so I can't complain!

koopkooper

Practically Family
Radio Announcer at an Easy Listening station in Sydney Australia, worked at various regional radio stations before getting here. Prior to that an international tennis Chair Umpire for the International Tennis Federation

melankomas

One of the Regulars
reetpleat said:
I have nothing against software people. I know plenty and respect them. ANd no problem with people who are into vintage, but have a modern job, although when were computers invented, 1940s?

I just thought it was funny how I met these rockabilly guys and assumed they were body and fender men or something from the way they dressed and acted, very deliberately 50s working guy. So when I found out they were high tech, I thought it was funny.

the date of computer invention depends on whether you count the abacus or even the analytical engine.

it is a bit funny, i know. i wasn't truly anticipating contempt, i was joking. i am glad to know for certain you won't turn your nose up at me for my occupation!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Espasoner