Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do for Living?

scooter

Practically Family
I am a provisioner for Southwest Airlines, restocking the planes before they fly away again to all points of the compass. In previous lives, I was a semi-professional referee in two sports, and a career Marine. The pension associated with 21 years in the military makes a great deal more possible for me and mine.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
Looks like I first posted on this thread in December of '06, and not much has changed in my professional life since then. But given the economic turmoil that the world has experienced during the last three years, I'm thankful for the relative stability in that area of my life.

I have noticed that I'm increasingly prosecuting the offspring of the "regulars" that I prosecuted when I was a young ADA. Sort of a sad fact, really.

AF

I'll never forget my first jury trial as a new deputy d.a. I'l never forget my first guilty verdict as a deputy d.a. (different from the first!) I'll never forget prosecuting a trial of a man whom I had sent to prison years before, he got out of prison, and then reoffended. And I'll never forget prosecuting the son of a man I had convicted years ago for the same type of crime. It never gets old!

Effingham

A-List Customer
Well, did you ever get that dream job?

Sorry for the interjection -- but that's a great question.

I actually GOT -- well, had -- my dream job. When I was in high school and college, I played Dungeons and Dragons. A LOT. I really wanted to be editor of Dragon Magazine. After a long, circuitous rout that found me majoring in history, living in Japan, and editing newspapers over there, in 1995 I was hired by TSR to be the editor of Dragon Magazine.

I was king geek.

It freaked me out in a way. Kids dream of being cops, firemen, even astronauts -- but there are lots of those. There was only one Dragon Magazine, and one editor, and I GOT TO BE IT.

It was a lot of fun, even through TSR's weird days before purchase by WotC.

Good times.

coble

A-List Customer
I am an Artist (painting, drawing). I make leather goods, and i work for Sunbody Hats.

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
In a few weeks, I will have my bachelor's and as such, I am looking for a job. Ideally in performing, also following some leads for modeling, but honestly, I just need a day job right now.

Any of you hiring? (I kid, well, sort of.)

Pompidou

One Too Many
My cafe startup is going through all the final inspections and I hope my gambit of being a business owner pays off by the 15th. Seems the world ran out of obstacles over the last three years and is throwing in the towel. Even opening for a single day is enough to let me claim the hardest earned effort/milestone of my life, so I win regardless of the odds. Couldn't get any loans, saved the old fashioned way, worked around a zillion inane regulations... Been at it since about 2009. It's about time. If the combined effort of every possible power couldn't stop us from opening, they'll have a hell of a time trying to make us fail. I'm a cafe owner. The Steampunk Cafe. And if fate allows, I'll show the world nobody should settle for underemployment and there doesn't have to be a dichotomy between good and rich.

My cafe startup is going through all the final inspections and I hope my gambit of being a business owner pays off by the 15th. Seems the world ran out of obstacles over the last three years and is throwing in the towel. Even opening for a single day is enough to let me claim the hardest earned effort/milestone of my life, so I win regardless of the odds. Couldn't get any loans, saved the old fashioned way, worked around a zillion inane regulations... Been at it since about 2009. It's about time. If the combined effort of every possible power couldn't stop us from opening, they'll have a hell of a time trying to make us fail. I'm a cafe owner. The Steampunk Cafe. And if fate allows, I'll show the world nobody should settle for underemployment and there doesn't have to be a dichotomy between good and rich.

Congratulations! You should be mighty proud. :D

Still teaching Alternative Ed. Still acting as an administrator for 6 cents an hour. Added working an Indepedent Study program until 6:30 in the evening the past two years. Still loving my job!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24