Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys make of this?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
This is a brand new HH jacket that I just received yesterday. The photo is of one of the pockets. The light fine lines you see there are small cuts that go through the top layer of the leather. They are very fine razor-like cuts. The photo is just that one spot, but these cuts are all the way around the pocket seam on both sides. Any thoughts on this? What they are or what caused them? Are they stress cracks? The other pocket area is fine by the way. How would you guys handle this on a new jacket purchase? I'm trying to get a handle on what I have on my hands here before deciding what, if anything, I should do about it.

pocket1.jpg

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
They look like splits cause during the folding of the pocket edge. Very odd. I'd get in touch with the maker.

Well..they could just be stress cracks. I just went and checked a few of my HH jackets..and no cracks like that are present. Send the manufacturer that photo and ask what's up. If they say it's just cosmetic..maybe they would send something to touchup the marks.
I wouldn't be happy. They should have caught that before sending it out.
HD

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted out easily. If it's the one you mentioned earlier, and I don't know if it is, I think I saw it in black and it looked really good, but the tan is nice.

Last edited:

eggleman

One of the Regulars
I honestly couldn't accept this on a new jacket.
This is the sort of defect that puts jackets onto the sale page on the Aero site.
I'd either want it fixed or a partial refund.
Might be the sort of thing which will be less noticeable over time with some Pecard dressing ?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Is it the *removed* you ordered? I saw a black version down in London, really liked it. I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted out easily.

I'm not sure I want to name the maker at this point. I've contacted them, so we'll see what happens.

How did that jacket look in black?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really liked it, stylish in its own right. Tbh, if I was you I'd be looking for them to make good rather than do your own repairs on a brand new jacket.

I commend you on keeping the maker mum until you give them a chance to fix things. Of course we hope that it does get fixed because that's the true character of the maker.
Then you can tell us who fugged up lol

Brettafett

One Too Many
+2

But this not OK. This is similar to the other thread about the weird collar.... Whats going on here?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
Got a reply from the maker:

"This is just the surface layer of the leather cracking due to being folded over and sewn. For info, most leather is sprayed with a laquer finish on the surface. If you take the leather and fold it tightly this will happen. It is normal for this to happen on the seams and cuffs as the leather is fairly thick and needs to be folded tightly to be sewn. I wouldn’t worry about it. The seams, cuffs, and other wear areas will wear anyhow and this is what will give the jacket a nice patina. You could put some leather dressing on to delay wear on these areas".

Thoughts? Personally, it's not sitting well with me, but most of you have more experience with HH jackets than I do, so I defer to your experience and expertise on how "normal" this is on a brand new jacket.

Last edited:
Got a reply from the maker:"This is just the surface layer of the leather cracking due to being folded over and sewn. For info, most leather is sprayed with a laquer finish on the surface. If you take the leather and fold it tightly this will happen. It is normal for this to happen on the seams and cuffs as the leather is fairly thick and needs to be folded tightly to be sewn. I wouldn’t worry about it. The seams, cuffs, and other wear areas will wear anyhow and this is what will give the jacket a nice patina. You could put some leather dressing on to delay wear on these areas".Thoughts? Personally, it's not sitting well with me, but most of you have more experience with HH jackets than I do, so I defer to your experience and expertise.
Well, it does happen, but that seems more severe than I'm used to. Can you shoot more pics? How about other folds on the jacket?

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
The rest is fine. It's just that one pocket, and on both sides/seams. Elsewhere on the jacket, here and there there's the usual acceptable random tiny spot where the color's rubbed off a little bit on a corner/edge, or a small scratch or ding etc. but nothing of concern.

In that case, if it were me - and I loved it otherwise - I'd take some med brown shoe polish and go over that bit. I wouldn't return it unless those cracks are really deep - my 2¢ and its 100% your call here.Leather is not something that will always be 100% perfect. That's actually what's awesome about it. But we each have our own level of what's acceptable.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I'm not worried about how it looks as much as I am that it will spread or get worse. any advice on something I can use on it to keep it from getting worse?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80