Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you guys think?

It's a modern Borsalino, Daze. Those things retail new for a something a bit north of 200 USD. Opinions on their quality are mixed (as are many things around here), but I believe it's accurate to say that the general view is that modern Borsalinos are a tad overpriced, and that the quality is not what it was decades ago. Me, I think they are generally at least the equal of most modern factory-made hats. And I think they're a bit overpriced.

If you think that hat would suit you, though, by all means see if you can buy it for a relative bargain.

Daze

New in Town
It's a modern Borsalino, Daze. Those things retail new for a something a bit north of 200 USD. Opinions on their quality are mixed (as are many things around here), but I believe it's accurate to say that the general view is that modern Borsalinos are a tad overpriced, and that the quality is not what it was decades ago. Me, I think they are generally at least the equal of most modern factory-made hats. And I think they're a bit overpriced.

If you think that hat would suit you, though, by all means see if you can buy it for a relative bargain.

Thats all i needed to know, Borsalino fedoras are rare in the UK,

at least on Ebay

Last edited:

dragonaxe

One of the Regulars
i think it looks nice. Its on my watch list, but i wont bid on it as its too big for me. But always interesting to know the ball park figure that these things go for (its all useful info for the future). Good luck! Pick a max price you can go to and dont go over...even though its always tempting lol

Daze

New in Town
My thought is that in the UK some hats are cheaper, those being the 'real deal' proper hatters hats , BUT a secnd hand lock or herbert may very well be beaten up

never trust any Hat seller as opposed to a Hatter

theinterchange

One Too Many
I personally think the way Borsalino now puts their logo on the ribbons cheapens them considerably. If it were a removable tab like Stetson has, it'd be more ideal, but being incorporated into the bow knot is just a bit too much. [huh]

That being said, Borsalinos [and black hats in general] have never done anything for me... period.

But, if you like it, that's what really matters. I can think it looks like tripe and it doesn't matter... it's going on your head and is your money.

Randy

DRB

One Too Many
When I ordered a hat from Italy, I had to pay FEDEX another $75.00 for duty tax. I assume there is a similar duty tax to consider here? I don't know.

Customs duty is based on a percentage of the value of the item and its classification under the US Customs codes. If Fedex acted as the customs brokerage for you they probably paid a small fee but charged a hefty brokerage fee for doing it for you. Sending by mail may be cheaper. If the item was used not new that should have affected the charges. I sent a lot of stuff to Japan that was broken for examination by the engineers and classified them as little to no value same with used items for the engineers to examine. The values were really low like $1 for an item.

Another thing is there is a daily limit $ amount that applies to coming in free under the category of GIFT which some people use to classify goods they are shipping to the US to cut out customs costs.

Last edited:

theinterchange

One Too Many
Interesting about duty and such. I've never had to pay any from my Australian packages, and the senders haven't marked as "gift" every time, either. It, I'd guess varies by country, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran