Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this coat?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
zoompop.asp

...I think it looks pretty good... low key, machine washable... could do w/o the lining... but oh, well... anyone else? Is there any authenticity here or is this just a fantasy creation (i.e.- does this bear any resemblance to true period aviation wear?)

Baggers

Practically Family
I'm intrigued. That chest pocket reminds me of a motorcycle despatch rider's coat. To answer your question, though, I think it's more fantasy wear.

But I do kinda like it, especially at that price. And I've been looking for something I can use as a trench.

Cheers!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
baggers has rumbled it: it's pretty much a copy of the WW2 British army Despatch Riders coat. And you can bet it won't be a patch on the quality of the original.
1-1.jpg

nightandthecity

Practically Family
hey, looking again at the link I see they've even copied the unique double buckle!

The originals are rubberized canavas (macintosh) with taped seams. Absolutely beautifully made, like most WW2 british gear. And you'll be pleased to hear that plenty turn up on ebay, usually in big sizes as they were cut very oversized. I'm a 38 and I have to wear a size 1!

Baggers

Practically Family
nightandthecity said:
baggers has rumbled it: it's pretty much a copy of the WW2 British army Despatch Riders coat. And you can bet it won't be a patch on the quality of the original.

Thanks. That 1903 gunner's whateveritwas was pure copywriter's fiction, wasn't it?

Is that your "Don R" coat? It looks great. They were made out of rubber impregnated canvas, weren't they? While I'd love to add one to the collection, I'm afraid it might be a bit much for actual wear in my locale. The Sportsman's Guide version may be a shadow of the original, but for using as a knockaround trench coat it may work.

Cheers!

nightandthecity

Practically Family
the photo is of one I sold on ebay a few months ago.

Yes, rubberized canvas, the original material invented by Charles Macintosh in the early 19th century.

They come up regularly on ebay UK, often near mint, and are cheaper than the "1903" knock off. Only problem is the tape has often come loose on the seams and you often have to spend a couple of hours reglueing it.

Fantastic coats, if you go for one just remember that it will be a couple of sizes bigger than the the stated size.

Baggers

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
Night and the City,

I bet the Sportsman's Guide version doesn't smell like a real dispatch rider's coat!

Alan

True. I had a Vietnam era rubberised rain jacket that had a rather strong "fragrance," for lack of a better term. That alone might make the Sportsman's Guide coat more appropriate for civilized company. lol

Cheers!

Rundquist

A-List Customer
The coat is made by Kakadu. They make Australian oilskin long coats. I have one (oilskin long coat) and it’s really nice. Their jacket looks to be made out of a canvas which would make it more of a “duster” type of a coat (more rugged) and less of a trench coat than the pictures of the British version. Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou