Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think?

Rabittooth

New in Town
Originally posted by MK
Don't assuming my long-time-coming answer will be a "no" answer. Also don't take this post as a yes answer. I am very busy with more important things at the moment, but I will make a decision soon.

I am going camping in Death Valley next weekend with a several of the LA tribe. I will be a good time to discuss it with them.

As for these other idols....it is hard to tell for these low rez oics but the plating appears to be very nice. It is too bad that all that work and expense was done on idols with mouths with turn downed corners.

:D

Howdy folks!

-Rabittooth

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Welcome, Rab! I was wondering what took you so long to get here...

I thought of some great golden era props to add... the Rocketeer's helmet and rocketpack! Those props have got "Golden Era" written all over them. I'm not sure who, if anyone, makes replicas of these, but it would certainly make a great addition.

Kind regards,
Indy

Michaelson

One Too Many
There were some links over in a discussion at COW in the jackets section regarding these very items, if you go do some digging. We didn't delete them, as they were Wested related, and they linked several companies that made items like the helmet and the like. Regards. Michaelson

Imahomer

Practically Family
Originally posted by Indy Magnoli
Welcome, Rab! I was wondering what took you so long to get here...

I thought of some great golden era props to add... the Rocketeer's helmet and rocketpack! Those props have got "Golden Era" written all over them. I'm not sure who, if anyone, makes replicas of these, but it would certainly make a great addition.

Kind regards,
Indy

I think the Rocketeer helmet would be an excellent addition! There are a few different guys who make them, but in any case it would be a great Golden Era prop.

Dr. J

Familiar Face
We can't have a prop section without the Red Ryder Action Lever B.B. Gun with a Compass in the Stock and a "thing" that tells time and the Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring from A Christmas Story! Don't...forget... to...drink...your... Ovaltine!" :D

BD Jones

One of the Regulars
Originally posted by Dr. J
We can't have a prop section without the Red Ryder Action Lever B.B. Gun with a Compass in the Stock and a "thing" that tells time and the Little Orphan Annie Decoder Ring from A Christmas Story! Don't...forget... to...drink...your... Ovaltine!" :D

You'll shoot your eye out, kid!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Dr. J said:

Add the "Major Reward" to that list - The infamous leg lamp! And the shipping crate marked FRA-GEE-LAY (Fragile)

I own the same type of radio and the bowling trophy so far. Just love that movie!
Still need to order the leg lamp, decoder ring and bb gun - When I can afford to splurge a little more!

Will have to put on my thinking cap to think of more great props from the golden era.

935702274_de30aa1e02.jpg

This is the radio I have, still needs a little TLC.

934856175_2fcb7838e9.jpg

And the one from the movie.

934857033_29754fd889.jpg

Poor Mrs. Parker! You just had to use up all the glue!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Leg Lamp is available!

I haver a friend who makes them, custom. They are swell! He's a collector (a Fedoran without knowing it) and very handy, and everything he uses is vintage - leg, stocking, shade, socket, cord etc. Let me know if anyone wants contact info. What a GREAT Xmas present it would be!

RetroToday said:
Add the "Major Reward" to that list - The infamous leg lamp! And the shipping crate marked FRA-GEE-LAY (Fragile)

I own the same type of radio and the bowling trophy so far. Just love that movie!
Still need to order the leg lamp, decoder ring and bb gun - When I can afford to splurge a little more!

Will have to put on my thinking cap to think of more great props from the golden era.

935702274_de30aa1e02.jpg

This is the radio I have, still needs a little TLC.

934856175_2fcb7838e9.jpg

934857033_29754fd889.jpg

Poor Mrs. Parker! You just had to use up all the glue!

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Miss 1929 said:
I haver a friend who makes them, custom. They are swell! He's a collector (a Fedoran without knowing it) and very handy, and everything he uses is vintage - leg, stocking, shade, socket, cord etc. Let me know if anyone wants contact info. What a GREAT Xmas present it would be!

Hi Miss 1929,

I was going to buy one of the most authentic (larger) ones from the Christmas Story House museum, does he supply that store?
It turns out they don't ship to Canada, so if I want it I'll have to take the five hour drive (border crossing might add more time) there to get it - not too far compared to some of the drives I have done.

I wanted to visit the museum anyways.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Say RetroToday, you have that radio? I have been looking for that set for a long time! Later, I found out that was a Westinghouse set only distributed to the Canadian market... if you find another one, let me know ;)

And for the bowling trophy, I see a seam on it... I have seen one of those items at a flea market... it's a little bar set! You open the top and inside are 5-6 shot glasses and a shaker I believe if I remember correctly. I think yours is one of those novelty bar sets... I could be wrong.[huh]

My self, I'd ad to the list:

1. W.C. Field's top hat

2. William Powell's fedora from the first "Thin Man" movie.

3. Benny Goodman’s Clarinet from his 1938 Carnegie Hall performance.

4. Judy Garland's ruby red slippers from "The Wizard of Oz".

5. The "intercostal clavicle" of the Brontosaurus skeleton from "Bringing Up Baby" 1938.

FM~

LizzieMaine

Bartender
RetroToday said:
934856175_2fcb7838e9.jpg

What I want to know is what a working-class small-town Indiana family is doing reading "Fortune" magazine, which at the time carried a $35 a year subscription fee. Somehow I see the Parkers as being more a $2 a year Saturday Evening Post sort of family.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Forgotten Man said:
1 - Say RetroToday, you have that radio?
2 - And for the bowling trophy, ... it's a little bar set!
FM~

1 - Yep, I bought it for $30 at the beginning of this year. It's not in the greatest shape, but that's a project also at the top of the high priority list.
And, yes, as far as I have heard it is a "Canada only" produced radio.

It's a 1940 Canadian Westinghouse model 780. The knobs and the red "eye" tuning tube are incorrect on the one in the movie, but maybe it would be a cool thing to make mine like that.

2 - Yes, that trophy also doubles as a bar set, very cool. They loved to hide booze back in the day. Somebody told me these were meant to dispense liquer.

And Lizzie - It seems Mr. Parker would have big (layman) ambitions even though he was just a working class guy that had already settled down. I could see him dishing out extra cash for that magazine. He seems like he had his thumb on the news of the world too. :) And quiz puzzles...

Decodence

A-List Customer
Oh boy, A ZEPPELIN!!!

Picture5.jpg

DSC_9636%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

In reaching for her copy of Look magazine, my mother would find herself duped into reading a Red Ryder Sales Pitch.
DSC_9637%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

Old man got a new blue bowling ball for Christmas. Maybe he can win another trophy to go along with the one on the Westinghouse Radio. (Dingus Sam Spade was chasing all over San Francisco pictured next to it)
trophy.jpg

DSC_9639%20(Custom)%20(Large).JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy