Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think?

Decodence

A-List Customer
RetroToday said:
Sweeet!

You've got an amazing collection of Christmas Story movie stuff!
Keep up the good work :eusa_clap
I'm going to the 25th anniversary convention at the Christmas House this year, so I'm sure I'll come home with a decoder ring, and maybe some other ACS stuff. Might be enticed to buy a leg lamp after seeing it in person too, who knows. The crowning jewel would be the correct westinghouse like you have. My search has not turned up a single unit to date.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Decodence said:
I'm going to the 25th anniversary convention at the Christmas House this year, so I'm sure I'll come home with a decoder ring, and maybe some other ACS stuff. Might be enticed to buy a leg lamp after seeing it in person too, who knows. The crowning jewel would be the correct westinghouse like you have. My search has not turned up a single unit to date.

I'm hoping to go to that convention as well, finally see the museum and also get some of that cool stuff to go with my Christmas Story radio. I'll probably see you there, well, if all goes as planned.

I want to get the full-sized one so I called and asked them about the lamps. Apparently, they don't have all the leg lamp stock actually at the museum - no room. When you order, they haul them out of storage somewhere off-site.
Will have to make sure I can easily pick it up when I get there, may be good to do a pre-order.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
It's strange how the things that are nearest you are often the things that you've never seen. I'm in Cleveland at least once every two weeks and have never gone to the house - despite the fact that I've seen the movie hundreds of times. I think that, despite that nasty Indiana fallacy, the Cleveland connection has made and kept it incredibly popular in Northern Ohio.

Decodence

A-List Customer
ACS is a monthly watch in our house. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Weren't they supposed to release a movie-spec red ryder bb gun too?

Decodence

A-List Customer
RetroToday said:
I want to get the full-sized one so I called and asked them about the lamps. Apparently, they don't have all the leg lamp stock actually at the museum - no room. When you order, they haul them out of storage somewhere off-site.
Will have to make sure I can easily pick it up when I get there, may be good to do a pre-order.

They recently relocated their warehouse from CA to Ohio, so I'm sure you could swing by and pick one up while there. The 50" is the one which matches the movie prop closest per the ACS guy.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Decodence said:
ACS is a monthly watch in our house. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it. Weren't they supposed to release a movie-spec red ryder bb gun too?

I probably watch it at least once every month too... aren't we a weird bunch? lol. Yet, it really seems a lot more appropriate around the holiday season. I watch it waaay too many times leading up to the 25th of December and then abandon it until around May!

I believe a commemmorative red ryder gun was brought out, a few years ago now, by the Daisy Air Rifle company.
Thanks for the warehouse info. too.

Decodence

A-List Customer
RetroToday said:
I believe a commemmorative red ryder gun was brought out, a few years ago now, by the Daisy Air Rifle company..
They made "A Christmas Dream" version limited to 1000 copies, which was the replica of the one they used in the movie (specially made just for the movie as it didn't exist as described). They were supposed to re-release it again, but I never heard anything after that.

From the convention last year:
Daisy Outdoor Products is offering a special incentive for children 10 and older who enter the convention’s character look-alike contest dressed as Ralphie Parker. The makers of the Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun, based in Rogers, Arkansas will choose one winner from the top five “Ralphies” to appear on the packaging of a special edition BB gun, with “a compass in the stock and this thing which tells time” (a sundial) in honor of the “A Christmas Dream” Red Ryder BB gun which was produced in 1983 and used in the movie. Along with the prestige of posing as Ralphie, the winner will receive $100, their very own Red Ryder Range Model Air Rifle and a Leg Lamp. Daisy officials anticipate choosing the winner by early January and conducting the photo shoot in Cleveland in February or March.

Decodence

A-List Customer
It's indescribably beautiful! It reminds me of the Fourth of July!

DSC_9846%20(Large).JPG

RetroToday

A-List Customer
"Look" at what I just got in the mail. Going to put this with my Westinghouse radio.

2912174735_e9aca7be8e.jpg

I didn't know until reading it that Look was a tabloid magazine, there's lots of gossip on Hollywood and world events in these pages. Actually, there seems to be a lot in this issue of the magazine that is reflected in the Christmas Story movie, such as:

Japan's aerial bombing of China, (shows the horrors on the ground) - Ralphie's Mom talks about starving people in China when she tries to get Randy to eat his food.

Should children be told there is a Santa Claus?, (shows kids on Santa's lap) - Reminds me a lot of the famous scene at Higbee's.

2913089448_1758880b72_b.jpg

Decodence

A-List Customer
Look what I got today in the mail. A 1983 Christms Dream Daisy.

"An official Red Ryder carbine action 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time"

They reproduced this in 2003, but they were labeled "A Christmas Dream", and numbered. The original 1983 ones made after the movie came out were not as such.

DSC_9866%20(Large).JPG

DSC_9870%20(Large).JPG

Decodence

A-List Customer
Jeremy, that issue looks in SUPERB condition. I'm still lusting after that Westinghouse of your's to complete my collection.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Decodence said:
Look what I got today in the mail. A 1983 Christms Dream Daisy.

"An official Red Ryder 200 shot range model air rifle with a compass in the stock, and this thing which tells time"
They reproduced this in 2003, but they were labeled "A Christmas Dream", and numbered. The original 1983 ones made after the movie came out were not as such.

Beautiful Gun! That's definately one of the next props on my list of things to get. And, of course, I can't resist - - be careful with that thing, you could shoot your eye out! lol

Yes, the Look magazine I got is in great shape. Hope I'm in that close to original condition when I'm 71!

Don't worry, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for you on that Westinghouse radio. The shipping's going to be murder from here if I do find one for you.
It took me over two years to find mine so it may take that long or more... if ever.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Funny how many things I missed even though I've seen this movie more times than I can count.

It turns out that I already have another radio besides the Westinghouse I have which is featured in "A Christmas Story", but I didn't realize it till yesterday. It's not prominently featured, appears for just a few seconds during the opening scenes at Higbee's department store.

2940905272_6f22798525_b.jpg

Higbee's Department Store - Radio Sales Display Window

The very first big floor model radio you see between Santa and the man with the fedora is another radio I already have in my collection, a 1930/31 Victor Radio-Electrola model RE-57.

935696930_55151168e2.jpg

My Victor RE-57

The reason I watched the movie again is that I bought this vintage postcard image folio of Cleveland, Ohio at a garage sale on the weekend which features the public square where they filmed the scenes of Higbee's department store. Or I'm just going clinically insane. Be careful where you let obsessiveness take you. LOL

2940154913_4b1218d2f4.jpg

1940s Cleveland Image Folio cover, shows Cleveland's Public Square.

2941039920_4d2c28c30a.jpg

Frame from the opening scenes of "A Christmas Story" filmed in Cleveland's public square.

Hopefully, more people will post props from other movies, I know we hijacked this thread with this movie. Sorry MK.

Decodence

A-List Customer
That is awesome. Really dig the postcard. That radio isn't particularly my style, but damn two radios (rare as hen's teeth), from the movie. Wow.

I'm after the wall phone, the Parker's radio, another magazine shown in the movie, and maybe some odds and ends from Ralphie's toy shelf in the boy's bedroom. Of course, coming back from the convention with a decoder pin, life bouy soap, and maybe one of the new Red Ryder numbered Christmas Dream rifles if they are debuting them there (this model is supposed to have the copper plated barrel bands shown in the movie). There are some other obscure items here and there in the movie which are small enough to collect too. My wife would be infinetly happy if we reproduced the Parker's real linoleum floor from the movie. She oohs and aahs over it all the time.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
Thanks for the comment decodence,

I'm after a lot of those things from the movie you mentioned as well (except the radio). Man, that other magazine is tricky to find.

I also hope to go to the convention too and pick up a few things, just have to work on my budget so that I'm not completely broke when I come back from the trip.

One thing I still mentally 'kick myself' about to this day - I saw the exact same deco kitchen table and chairs that the Parkers have at a garage sale last year, but I passed on them. :eusa_doh:
I don't know what state my mind was at the time, except believing I had no more room to store things, which is still true, but I'd hang it from the ceiling to make room if given the chance to buy them again. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy