Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you wear in the winter??

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
For trips up north this time of year I rely on my Austrian Loden coat. It's a long overcoat, made of a kind of highly compacted wool that is water-resistant and very warm. The nice thing is that it easily accomodates a heavy sweater and tweed jacket. The good ones are a bit pricey, but worth every penny as they last forever and are stylish as well.

Nyah

One of the Regulars
Felted poncho made of woven wool and alpaca fiber. Underneath I wear a T-shirt and wool hunting shirt. I've tried this down to freezing temperature and, so far, couldn't be happier with it.

Spoonbelly

One of the Regulars
I live in New York. It's pretty cold here now. This week we will have a January deep freeze. Lows are supposed to be single digits up to the teens. In the winter I always wear one of my pea coats. On warmer days I wear my Cockpit A-2. Am thinking about getting a Gibson and Barnes A-2 to "supplement my Cockpit".

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Smithy - yep bloody awful. You're in Norway these days? Lucky you and why are you there?

Hi Seb, yup in Norway now. Wife is norwegian and with 2 small ones decided it was time to be close to family. Hope you've got some cold beers or whatever on the go and the aircon on full tit mate. Stay cool.

thor

Call Me a Cab
image.jpg
Recently purchased a vintage LL Bean flight jacket with real sheepskin lining and mouton collar for $125 from a vintage clothing store and it was the perfect jacket for today's NYC weather: 34 F with rain/snow showers. Toasty warm wearing just a long sleeve t-shirt under the jacket.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Most days away from work, I wear jeans, a cotton t-shirt and a hoodie. When we have our occasional bouts of cold weather, I wear jeans, a Carhartt mock turtle neck and a deck jacket or a pea coat. It is rare that I need anything as heavy as my N-jackets or a long overcoat.

AF

Hal

Practically Family
I also find near-zero temperatures to be the worst. I know now that hell isnt hot, it is holding +1 with a breeze.
I think that its the humidity that does it. -up to 20 can be ok because its dry here, but around zero (Celsius) its humid and it creeps into the pores and its just nasty nasty.
You are absolutely right! That is the sort of cold we usually get in Britain and Ireland.
Supercooled rain is very possible and we had it just a few days ago. Rain came down onto the windshield of the car and instantly froze. I had to stop and go out and scrape it off before I could continue driving.
Thanks for that information and link. We experience frozen rain more often than supercooled; in all fairness I should withdraw my doubt that it has happened in the UK.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Frosen rain was common where I lived before (also scandinavia) but have not seen it in a while here. 20 years or so ago it came down the size of snowballd and there are still cars driving around with 20+ bulks in the hood :D

Cole

One of the Regulars
My usual outfit when it is cold these days is the following:

FB1.jpg

Buzz Rickson WG Watch Cap
Old U.S. Navy peacoat (from the 60s)
some warm shirt
Heavy Iron Heart jeans to keep my legs warm
and my White's boots

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
My usual outfit when it is cold these days is the following:

FB1.jpg

Buzz Rickson WG Watch Cap
Old U.S. Navy peacoat (from the 60s)
some warm shirt
Heavy Iron Heart jeans to keep my legs warm
and my White's boots

Classic look and probably one of the few times a watch cap costs more than the jacket. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80