Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What dresses to wear with Stockings

LoserVonTeese

Familiar Face
I'm confused on what type of Dresses to wear with stockings... whats the average everyday kinda dress for the vintage look>?;)

Grant Fan

Practically Family
LoserVonTeese said:
I'm confused on what type of Dresses to wear with stockings... whats the average everyday kinda dress for the vintage look>?;)

That depends on the time period you are going for. For instance if you are going for the 1940s WW2 look stockings would probably not be worn for anything because Nylon was used for military purposes and stockings weren't being made. And i believe in the 50s during the day they weren't worn all the time but I could be wrong about that. it is also a matter of what you prefer I find stockings hot and uncomfortable so I rarely wear them.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You would wear stockings with just about every dress, weather permitting.
I mean if its hot in the summer, you would most likely go with socks and saddies, or espadrilles (but then again, there *are* stockings for open toe shoes as well) unless you were older, then you would most likely wear stockings full stop.

In the 40s there was cotton, and other materials other than silk or nylon. Most of the catalogs I have try to persuade gals to go for cotton.

In the 30s stockings were as part of the outfit as the dress, sans some (not all) sporty outfits.

In the 20s it depended on the groups you associated with. But silk stockings were never overdressed.

But in the 50s, this all went out the window and you stocking it up at work, but casual stuff, naw.

A guess good rule is wear them all the time, unless its hot or you just dont want to bother.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
A typical woman might divide it up like this --

House dresses -- cotton stockings or "service weight" (60 denier) nylon/silk stockings.

Day dresses -- "Walking sheer" (30 denier) nylon or silk

Evening clothes -- Sheer (15 denier) nylon or silk

The sheerer the stocking, the more fragile it is, so even though she might wear 15-denier hose for dressier occasions during the day, she'd be more likely to wear heavier stockings while doing errands in town.

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
I've always worn stockings,or pantyhose before i knew about stockings,even to school.My great aunt always said a lady always wears stockings & for some reason that always stuck with me.
I'd like an opinion though,i just bought 2 swirl dresses ,i'd say at a very uneducated guess mid to late 50's?Could i get away with wearing stockings with those?
I feel naked if i'm not wearing stockings,so much so that i laddered mine while in town the other week so i ran over to my mums house & got a pair of pantyhose to wear because i couldn't stand not having any on[huh] i know, i'm a bit strange:rolleyes:

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Mrs Cleaver said:
I'd like an opinion though,i just bought 2 swirl dresses ,i'd say at a very uneducated guess mid to late 50's?Could i get away with wearing stockings with those?

As a general rule, you can "get away with" wearing stockings with anything. As Lady Day mentioned, a smart move would be to wear them with all dresses.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I think as long as the skirt is long enough to hide the top of the stockings when you sit down, you can wear any dress with them! There is a parking inspector who works near my office who wears seamed fishnets with her uniform skirt.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Fleur De Guerre said:
Dunno about shoes but in my experience you need a slip to wear stockings with swirls or they ride up with the static!

In my experience, all dresses ride up with stockings and require a slip :) Fleur's right though - cotton dresses seem to be the worst!

Mrs Cleaver

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the tip Fluer:) Ands thanks again to you too Kitty :)
If you rub a little bit of moisturiser down your stockings it can help with the static cling;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails