Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What else do you collect?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
What else? Well I do not collect hats. Only have one to be quite honest. And I am not into ties, shirts, shoes, belts etc. Or fountainpens or buttons or badges or stuffed animals either.

But I do collect books - especially on Battle of Britain.
And on advertising. (Hell - that's my job! Should be ok there.)
I am a bookaholic - my wife claims there is a direct pipeline from Amazon to our house.

I also have something with Irvin jackets. Every time I buy a new one, I think it'll stop. It doesn't. Not untill now. (more on that later - in another room)

I also collect bags. I love bags. In all sizes. From barbour leather toiletbags to original huge metal flightcases.

Besides that I am quite normal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Golden Era ephemera -- anything that by all accounts should not have survived the decades but did. Anything from billheads and check stubs to grocery boxes and bread wrappers. I have some vague notion that someday a period movie will be made up here, and when that happens I'll make good money renting this stuff out for props.

I have a room full of books, and another full of recordings, but I don't consider those collections -- they're part of the working fabric of daily life.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
Golden Era ephemera -- anything that by all accounts should not have survived the decades but did. Anything from billheads and check stubs to grocery boxes and bread wrappers. I have some vague notion that someday a period movie will be made up here, and when that happens I'll make good money renting this stuff out for props.

Same here. I love old magazines and patterns and have healthy collections of each.

I love old yearbooks, old photographs...any type of paper product, really. I have my grandfather's traveling suitcase from 1937 that has all kinds of good ephemera in it: letters from my grandmother, postcards from friends, check book stubs, a little notebook with accounting done in it (37 cents on whiskey in January! lol), an old car manual, letters from his work, an old appliances manual from 1937, and some old maps (it's great to see Philly with no 95 and no 76! What a dream it must have been...)

Foofoogal

Banned
Name it pretty much. I am sick.

Vintage beaded and embroidered cardigans, vintage lingerie, vintage beaded hostess and fancy aprons, vintage Christmas figurines, Northwood carnival, sweater guards, cufflinks[huh]
Moved on to collecting things for my grandchildren including tiny perfume bottles and some newer Barbies in box. Ladies hats, hankies, vintage clothing etc, etc, etc,
Tablecloths, linens.

One can pretty much take a look at my inventory and see the stages of collecting. I am a bit fickle and will grow tired of a category after awhile.

Started with dolls, Art Glass, Milk Glass, Compacts and Vanity, Music Sheets, Magazines.

Trying to negotiate my thinking into small and/or put in a vintage suitcase. lol I have pretty much convinced myself I have to preserve the past or it will be lost.

I have said for years they need to truly examine the collector. I have found many, many similarities among them and dealers of vintage.
Since moving to another state it is worse as very few things seems familiar and constant in my life and this is at the top.

$ally

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
riciclaggio-di-denaro.jpg
I love your money collection.

I collect vintage fabrics & trim. It's not meant to be a collection, but I can't keep up with it at the moment. Someday it will all be on padded hangers, I swear.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
softouch said:
A few years ago I found a watch forum & now I have 7 Breitlings; an old Longines; a couple of Tissot
Visited a car forum & now have a `07 300C SRT8, 425hp family sedan
Visited a forum about invitro fertilization and have twins
Started looking around the Fedora Lounge and now have 3 hats & have made initial contact with Mr. Fawcett
I also have a few pocket knives & zippos, also thanks to forums
Did a search for wet shaving & know have 6 shaving brushes and about 11 straight razors, 2 fine razor strops, several nice razaor hones & when I started looking all I wanted was a double edge. Wound up with two of those

help me!

I know I need to have Ebay and Etsy blocked can someone please instill parental controls I would like but do not need some vintage compacts or fountain pens my house is full and I am broke. ;)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Well... one thing that comes to mind is my little collection of swords. I had bought them on ebay, and they are claimed to be dated in the following eras, Zhou or Han Dynasty, and one appears to have a Chinese script, although it had resided in Europe for generations, having changed hands through several collectors over time, I would imagine. That's not it for my collection of artifacts, however, as I have a couple of Roman dices supposedly found in Judea, a few Roman coins, and a Roman arrowhead found in Belgium.

You could say that I'm an antiquarian of sorts.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I've been pretty much trying my darndest not to collect anything. In the last two years, I've moved three times, and I've really begun to appreciate what it must be like to not own a bunch of stuff.

Still, I have upwards toward 10 hats and almost that many jackets at this point. I try not to collect either though, and if I collect any one thing as a hobby, it's David Goodis novels.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
I'm into seashells (and other sea related items)...it started with having bought a nice bunch of seashells from Salvation Army, along with a Horseshoe crab...

...I figure, that if I am unable to get to the sea...for the moment...I will at least bring it to me.

I like displaying the shells in my china cabinet and putting them in clear glass jars covered with canvas that's tied with hemp cord.:)

Bebop

Practically Family
Prien said:
I'm into seashells (and other sea related items)...it started with having bought a nice bunch of seashells from Salvation Army, along with a Horseshoe crab...

...I figure, that if I am unable to get to the sea...for the moment...I will at least bring it to me.

I like displaying the shells in my china cabinet and putting them in clear glass jars covered with canvas that's tied with hemp cord.:)

Sea shells and rocks or stones is something I have enjoyed since I was a young boy. They are some of the most incredible works of art. When I walk along the coast, I get lost looking at what lies at my feet. I could spend hours exploring 20 meters of shore.

OldSoul

Familiar Face
Well, I'd say my biggest collection is music. Just under 400 CD's and in the past two years I've gotten into vinyl, so just pushing 100 LP's and about 30 45's. Not the biggest collection I know, but anyone who insists on owning physical copies of their music will tell you it's not a 'cheap' hobby haha.

Books as well, I don't know how many books I have spread out between my house, my parents and my friends (though, I'm sure I'm never going to see those books again...) I'd say I'm around at least 200ish? Almost all are about WW2 - modern wars and music history, as well as humor and fiction. I used to collect Captain America but I'm at least 10 or so issues behind now.

I guess one could say that I also collect car parts. I'm in the middle of building a period-correct hot rod so I've managed to spend a decent amount of money there, and am buying original parts over reproduction parts whenever possible.

I know that pretty soon I will start collecting 50's and 60's furniture, as I plan on making my next move into my own house.

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
I´d have to say... "under-bed dust", years ago i collected suns made of clay (which i then hand-painted myself), got my pokemon collection, Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter Action figures (Books and memorabilia too), since Junior High I´ve been collecting all sorts of notes, candies, cards, post cards, got my drawing collection dating back to those years too, I keep every movie ticket, I´m a fan of Stitch (the Disney´s character) and Blue (from Foster´s home for imaginary friends), of course my cd´s (Shakira, Madonna, La Oreja de Van Gogh (that´s Van Gogh´s ear), etc)and dvd´s (LOTR, HP, anything by Tim Burton, Six Feet Under, anything by Hayao Miyazaki, etc), my mother and I keep a ceramc owls collection, I also collect Arizona Iced tea empty cans, and I guess finally my military visor hat collection, which seem to be the only one I can share: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kaonashisalbum/ (I know I have a serious labeling work to do... =P)

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
What do I collect? The general everyday items of life that you would find in a household of 50+ years ago. I don't know how many collections you would say there are but all of it together would be a collection. A few things there are a lot of and lot of things there are a few of. Most of what I have accumulated is what I use in everyday life. I seldom ever buy anything new. If I need anything I try to find an old one first. I only buy new items as a last resort. My basic philosophy of life is, Old Good, New Bad. And I'm not disappointed often. An example is my vacuum cleaner is a model 30 Electrolux from about 1947. It is in excellent condition and I take care of it quite well. I have bought up extra parts for it so I never need to buy a vacuum for the rest of my life. The more complete I make my environment of years ago the happier I am. I used to joke and say I know what reality is. I tried it and didn't like it so I choose to live in my world. I realize that sounds a little out there but I look at it this way. Life is short. Why not enjoy the simple things in life while we can.

One Too Many
I like it ¡¡¡

Some Art:
2845574980106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

French Clock, Vedette,
2308524530106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Deutch,
2396244170106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Olimpia and Mauthe, German Clocks,
Some crystal:
2022155360106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

Mercedes, German clock on swarowsky krystal and french cups krystal