Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What era is this old tin cup from?

green papaya

One Too Many
IM002953.jpg

IM002954.jpg

I found this old tin cup at the flea market, is it vintage? what era do you think they made cups like these? the finish looks more like a dull greyish color.

it measures 2 5/8" tall x 3 1/2" wide

big kahuna

Familiar Face
could be...

Civil war, Span-Am...or depression era...or a recent reproduction[huh] . The odds are low that it is CW , as most original ones I have seen show much more use.

I have a few reproductions that, through constant use, look like they are 100+ years old.

One sign that makes me think that it is "vintage" is the quality of tin...it looks to be heavy and with a layer of "zinc" galvanizing. Many reproductions are raw tin that ages quickly for that "authentic" look, or they have a thin wash of nickel, which also "ages" quickly.

There are CW and Indian Wars Sutlers that sell accurate reproduction cups, and the most accurate ones have handles like this one. Here's a link that shows some examples (note the modern, smooth finish)
http://www.fcsutler.com/fctin.asp

FYI: Galvanizing has been around for 250 years or so, but really came into prominence in America in the late 1800's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner