Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Games Amuse you

Mrs Bentley

New in Town
As Ethan's already mentioned, Articulate! and Rich Uncle are particular favourites, but thinking about my childhood, I can only seem to recollect playing Monopoly, twenty-one, solitaire (I had a wonderful little wooden set with red pegs), draughts (or checkers), and a funny game called Frustration, which is like ludo, but more noisy.

I recall learning to play chess one holiday with my Dad and Grandad very fondly, but unfortunately never found anyone of my own age to play against until university. My favourite was draughts, because the whole family knew how to play that!

Missy Hellfire

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
I work Down town and, thankfully, we have a garden, I'm Going to suggest we play croquet, for the older staff members, my organisation does pilates, for the 20 somethings, I want my civilised croquet, its only fair do admit?

I do love a game of croquet. Shangas, I don't think it ever really lost popularity amongst certain people here in the UK, I don't know about abroad. My school had a croquet lawn and I had a set as a child although despite the practice I have technically had I remain stupendously bad at it! Still that's half the fun! I can't think of anything finer on a summer afternoon than a glass of Pimms and a game of croquet.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I love cribbage and have finally taught my husband to play. My family always played cards when I was young, including Shanghai, set back, and Queen of Spades.

My husband and I are also learning mah jongg. We're not at the gambling point with that yet, though. We're learning along with some other regulars at a local Chinese restaurant. The owner is teaching us: she's from Hong Kong and speaks terrible English, so trying to figure out her explanations can be an adventure. The set she was originally using to teach us didn't have any numbers, so we learned the Chinese characters. So far, we only play at the restaurant--we haven't gotten our own mah jongg set, and have a very limited understanding of how the scoring works, but we're getting there and having fun learning. I think the old tile sets are beautiful.

Chas

One Too Many
Gin Rummy is my favorite, though Monopoly with three (or better with four) viciously competitive friends is wicked fun. You can't be nice and win with monopoly.

I often wonder how many people have broken up over a monopoly game.:D

Outdoors? Baseball, catch, 500 or some other permutation of that great game. Lawn bowling is ok, though, and croquet is good times.

Lou

One of the Regulars
I grew up with a pool table at home and still play a lot. I also play backgammon.

When my family went camping, my sister and I often met other kids and played knuckles. :D Great fun!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Chess mainly.

My mom's biggest complaint when playing against me is that I would make it look like I'm not doing anything and then really go for the throat (surprise attack).

Haven't played against her, or anyone else really, for awhile though.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Monopoly, because my family and I used to play it on family get-togethers and we would have epic economic battles that rivaled the great depression that would endure for days and days... often ending in fisticuffs... Good times.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like poker, Crazy 8's, Mexican Train dominoes, chess or black jack if there's a large crowd to play. I'm also fond of Apples to Apples, and Trivial Pursuit.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Backgammon (my wife and I play everyday), Texas Hold'em, Risk, Gin, Cluedo, and Scrabble.

Not really a game as such but I'm hopelessly addicted to cryptic crosswords.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Perhaps this may be odd, but Blackjack is about the only card game I enjoy for some reason. I've tried some of the rest, and they don't appeal to me as much as Blackjack. As for board games, Risk is my favorite, and every once in a while, I'll play a tournament against some of my cousins.

swinggal

One Too Many
Such a shame that boardgames are not a big part of a kid's childhood today. We had sooooo many of them...in fact I still have all mine in a big plastic tub stored away.

I loved Monopoly and we would have week long games on the Xmas holidays with the kids next door, Scrabble, Mousetrap, Solitaire, Mastermind, Cluedo, Yahtzee. We used to play boardgames with our parents most weekends at some point...was a nice, social family thing to do, and with friends too.

Mum and I also used to do massive jigsaws on the holidays. Ones where you'd sit for a few hours and leave it set up on a table and come back to it.

I actually played Wii Monopoly with some friends my age the other day...it was surprisingly fun! But only 4 people can play. Still love the old game the best...but Wii was a lot fun too. As an adult I love Pictionary (being a designer helps...hehe), Absolute Balderdash and Rapdi-Doh. Play THAT with a few drinks in you! ;) Fun times.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Pinochle is a big family tradition, and we still play it after Sunday dinner (which is around 2pm) for hours if we are all together. My granda used to make a supplementary income playing pinochle. It was the only gambling he ever did, and he rarely lost.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Monopoly was a traditional part of New Year's Eve when I was little. The extended family would all play after dinner, then watch Clive James, then go to bed at a minute after 12.

I love Trivial Pursuit, and Balderdash. I like Scrabble but I am very bad at it.

grundie

One of the Regulars
I'm rather fond of the game Ex Libris. In this game 4 or more people write what may be be the first or last line from a novel, only one is genuine. The nominated player has to try and identify the real one with the only clue being a one paragraph précis of the novel.

I also like ludo.

Big_e

Practically Family
Dominos-five up is a favorite. Especially after a good meal. If I see a really nice domino set, I'll buy it. I'm on the lookout for a nice handcarved one. I saw one in an antique shop in Mineral Wells and regret not buying it.
Ernest

Mahjong

cd3528l-f.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy