Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Happened to Florsheim?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Greyfox said:
Amen brother. Mediocrity is the standard. What is sad is that we are satisfied to have it so be.
Satisfied? After a few cycles of it's-broke-and-can't-be-fixed-so-buy-a-new-one mediocrity, you don't get satisfied, you get resigned. And after a few generations of this, people can't even f#¢!!ing imagine it any other way.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
I really do miss the Florsheim brand. Years ago I'd get my hard-to-find A and AA width shoes, usually Florsheim or Nunn Bush wingtips, from the bargain basement of either of Denver's grand old department stores - May D&F or the Denver Dry Goods Company. Sadly neither those department stores or those quality shoes are still around :(

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
I've seen Florsheim cited in marketing circles as a classic example of the diluting of a luxury brand. Florsheims were regarded as very high quality shoes and cost quite a pretty penny in their hay day. As time passed, the company sacrificed high price points to increase sales, but had to lower quality to do so.

As a short-term strategy, this worked quite well because of the brand's reputation, but in the long-term, it rarely does. Consumers wise-up after a decade or so and look elsewhere. The Florsheim name has changed hands, at least once, and have not been manufactured in the USA for quite some time.

Some other examples of golden era luxury brand dilution are, Bulova and Cadillac.

Funny how that seems to be de rigueur for fashion. Vera Wang is sold in target, and Liz Clairborne and Pierre Cardin seem to say "discount rack" or "tj maxx" these days.

I still think of Bulova and Cadillc as having a little panache (especially the latter), but just from their 80's advertising (and what stores were advertising them) florsheim was just a notch above "Payless." The sort of thing you heard in the same sentence with barcalounger and serta perfect sleeper, in between daytime TV ads for "learn at-home gun repair, HVAC, or get your degree!"

cotillion

New in Town
Hello I just picked up an excellent pair of what I think are vintage Florsheim Imperial Wingtips on recent Thrift run. These Florsheims are Made in the USA. From what I gather that is a good indicator of their quality yes?
Also does anyone know if the numbers on the inside can be decoded for year of production by any chance?

Thanks

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have to agree to some extent; Florsheims, Bulovas - they are a really mixed bag now. I've seen some utterly wretched Flor's with the cheapest pleather one could buy. Utter garbage. But like Doran, I have a pair of Flor wingtips in cordovan that are really solid. In fact, their my favorite pair of shoes. And Bulova still makes great affordable watches...unfortunately, they also make some real stinkers too.

I hate when great brands give in to the "high sales" temptation. It's never a good decision. They dilute themselves to the point of passing out of existence.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Hello I just picked up an excellent pair of what I think are vintage Florsheim Imperial Wingtips on recent Thrift run. These Florsheims are Made in the USA. From what I gather that is a good indicator of their quality yes?
Also does anyone know if the numbers on the inside can be decoded for year of production by any chance?

Thanks
Post your query along with a couple photos of them in this thread ;it'll get more play.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
How does Regal fit into the shoe hierarchy? My dad had told me that they were a notch or two above Florsheim which was more of an 'everyday' shoe.

Much superior. I just took delivery of a NOS pair of Regal spade sole half boots from the 1940s. They are in kangaroo surprisingly so in perfect condition. I think Regal was held higher than Florsheim. Florsheim was a rugged working guys shoe ...not a fashion statement...like they are now.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of vintage Florsheim wingtips with the v-cleat and nail heel. They are wonderfully made and are easily over 30 years old and I got them on ebay for $6. Seeing Florshein now, makes me just walk away, as does J&M who also used to make quality shoes in the USA. As for shoe makers still here you get AE and Alden for dress shoes, Russel and Quoddy for casual shoes and boots and Redwing for work boots, and now some casual boots. I know there are some smaller companies out there doing boots, but don't feel the need to list them. As for a current maker similar to the old Florsheims, I feel my Alden's are similar in construction to the Florsheim Imperials I have. They are both hefty shoes with a steel shank and should last for a good long time. AE is also a really good choice for new quality shoes, especially since you can call their shoe bank and find some really good deals on seconds and discontinued firsts.

1961MJS

Hi

Part of Florsheim's problem is that I'm still wearing (for formal occasions) the two pair I bought back in the early 1990's. They cost over $150 a pair then, and they're still in good shape. The toes are creased and the back end where you put the shoe horn is a little creased because I didn't have a shoe horn with on say 10 occasions. Re sole, re-heel and walk some more.

Later

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Hi

Part of Florsheim's problem is that I'm still wearing (for formal occasions) the two pair I bought back in the early 1990's. They cost over $150 a pair then, and they're still in good shape. The toes are creased and the back end where you put the shoe horn is a little creased because I didn't have a shoe horn with on say 10 occasions. Re sole, re-heel and walk some more.

Later

But if the problem with Florsheim is that they last too long, why hasn't this plagued AE and Alden? Its nothing for people to wear those for 20-30 years or more with regular maintenance. I think it's more that they tried to chase increasing profit margins and stopped doing what made them profitable for years. Moving over seas and using lower quality materials and craftsmanship increased margins, but ultimately crushed their base of long time wearers. Instead of standing out from the crowd they jumped right in and are now nearly indistinguishable from the other low quality imported shoes being sold.

1961MJS

But if the problem with Florsheim is that they last too long, why hasn't this plagued AE and Alden? Its nothing for people to wear those for 20-30 years or more with regular maintenance. I think it's more that they tried to chase increasing profit margins and stopped doing what made them profitable for years. Moving over seas and using lower quality materials and craftsmanship increased margins, but ultimately crushed their base of long time wearers. Instead of standing out from the crowd they jumped right in and are now nearly indistinguishable from the other low quality imported shoes being sold.
Hi, I agree, it's not the ONLY problem. I will probably end up with something else when I get new dress shoes, maybe Allen Edmonds. I've never seen the Alden's in person, but I have several pair of the AE's from their old outlet store in Boaz AL.

Later

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Mike, I'm a big fan of both AE and Alden. For the availability of low priced AEs at their shoe bank they are they way to go if you have a limited budget like myself. However, there is something with Aldens. Its hard to put it in words, but they just feel more luxurious and right. Might be the construction or the shank, or the use of high quality leather from Horween in Chicago but they just feel more(if that makes any sense at all). I especially care for their suede offerings, their suede is different from other suede I've felt, its really rich and soft while retaining a good shape for a dress shoe, or a broken in feel for a casual boot like their chukka. I own AEs and Aldens, and really you can't go wrong either way whatever your budget is.

Miller Fan

New in Town
In 1964 I had a part time job after school with Model Shoes. At that time a decent pair of mens shoes sold for about 6 dollars, while Florsheims ran a whopping price of 18 dollars (gasp). The only other shoe I've ever owned that even came close to that same quality and craftmanship were Mason Shoes, which were mail order only. Since I wore a size 15, I had little room to complain. There's a big&tall mens store in Cincinnati that sells Hush Puppy and Rockport brands, all made in China. A moment of silence for Florsheims - - -

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
From what I've heard their Duckie Brown line seems to be made to a higher standard than their other stuff, both in quality of construction (maybe AE level) and materials (they source Horween for many skins including cordovan).

flor2.jpg

Riposte3

One of the Regulars
Hi

Later

If you can find a place to get them re-soled and re-heeled anymore. I don't even see the little mall-based shoe repair shops anymore - and I worked in one just a little under 15 years ago! The last shoe repair place near me (i.e., less than two hours away) closed down 3-4 years ago - the owner (and sole [heh] employee) was well past retirement age, deaf, and finally gave in when the landlord decided to not renew his lease.

It's really frustrating because my favourite shoes need new heels again, and I can't find anyplace to get them done. I've had them for 20 years now, the only thing wrong with them is that they need new heels (I replaced them myself when I was working at that shop). I really don't want to have to replace them just because there's no place to get them repaired!

Charlie74

Familiar Face
I just checked my Florsheim dress boots and see they were made in India. I bought them years ago at Sears. They are in great shape and extremely comfortable

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
If you can find a place to get them re-soled and re-heeled anymore. I don't even see the little mall-based shoe repair shops anymore - and I worked in one just a little under 15 years ago! The last shoe repair place near me (i.e., less than two hours away) closed down 3-4 years ago - the owner (and sole [heh] employee) was well past retirement age, deaf, and finally gave in when the landlord decided to not renew his lease.

It's really frustrating because my favourite shoes need new heels again, and I can't find anyplace to get them done. I've had them for 20 years now, the only thing wrong with them is that they need new heels (I replaced them myself when I was working at that shop). I really don't want to have to replace them just because there's no place to get them repaired!
There are still some places that do good work. I've got a local place here that does a good job, but you can look into sending them to Nick V at B. Nelson shoes in NYC. I've seen some of their work and its done very well, he is also a nice guy and is a straight shooter.
http://www.bnelsonshoes.com/
I'm planning to send him my Florsheim's when they need new soles here in probably a couple months.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
If you can find a place...... The last shoe repair place near me (i.e., less than two hours away) closed down
I found that odd so I Googled shoe repair in Blacksburg, VA and found several in your area.[huh]

Undertow

From what I've heard their Duckie Brown line seems to be made to a higher standard than their other stuff, both in quality of construction (maybe AE level) and materials (they source Horween for many skins including cordovan).

flor2.jpg

Those Brogue boots look pretty sharp. The site suggests retail is around 425.00. Too rich for me at the moment, but nice looking nonetheless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran