Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
My "new" Dobbs should arrive this week
dobbswestseller.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
Sadly, my new Vita_Felt was a delicious feast for a family of moths. I'm trying to asses the extent of damage now.
i'm going to clean it, reshape it , and wear it as a camping hat. Not a showstopper for sure but probably worth what I paid for it.
I'll post pics later for those that like moth carnage.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Sadly, my new Vita_Felt was a delicious feast for a family of moths. I'm trying to asses the extent of damage now.
i'm going to clean it, reshape it , and wear it as a camping hat. Not a showstopper for sure but probably worth what I paid for it.
Sorry to hear it wasn't a good as hoped for but camping is fun.

I can't complain too much, Bob. The seller did state that is was mothy... I just didn't expect it to be as mothy as it is! It looks nice at the right angle and from ten feet away! haha
ALL These hats look good 10 feet away to us.....and the general public.....they usually do not see beyond the "its a hat" part unless it is really swiss cheese.....we are the only ones who really are aware or notice. In my case I think it is just too awesome to be seeing others in a real hat to care about the mothing.....that just ads character...one thing for sure...........you will be one "cool camper"!!!!!!!!
M

i'm going to clean it, reshape it , and wear it as a camping hat. Not a showstopper for sure but probably worth what I paid for it...
Nothing wrong with a decent beater hat for those times when a "nice" hat just won't do. ;)

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Honestly ... sometimes wearing those hats feels a little more easy than a really nice old hat... I don't worry about them at all
It's a very comfortable feeling

40Cal

One Too Many
Honestly ... sometimes wearing those hats feels a little more easy than a really nice old hat... I don't worry about them at all
It's a very comfortable feeling
I agree with you, Anthony. My favorite hat that I wear most is that Dobbs CC that has a few moth nibbles and a couple odd stains. I was just hoping this one was in a little better shape than it is.

40Cal

One Too Many
ALL These hats look good 10 feet away to us.....and the general public.....they usually do not see beyond the "its a hat" part unless it is really swiss cheese.....we are the only ones who really are aware or notice. In my case I think it is just too awesome to be seeing others in a real hat to care about the mothing.....that just ads character...one thing for sure...........you will be one "cool camper"!!!!!!!!
M
You are absolutely right "M". I don't think anyone on the street will ever notice the mothing on this hat. I just really like these Vita-Felts and wish the moths liked them a little less!

Sooo ... um ... yeah. Don't drink and look at hat auctions kids. Not sure what I got here for my $5.00 bid, but I should pay more attention to shipping and handling next time ($12.38 + $4.00).

36231532025_190f3d9b93_o.jpg

36231529485_430231436d_o.jpg

36231524735_aef891a171_o.jpg

Anyway ...

Not sure if it had or was meant to have a wider ribbon. If nothing else it will be an interesting piece to have in my "collection".

This bit of info from the web references the store which, I gather, was no more after the end of WWII (by that name anyway).

Salud Santos- Tesoro was born in 1915 in Baliuag, Bulacan. She lost her mother at the age og 6 and was raised by her maternal grandmother , Gregoria, and her uncle,Manuel Pineda a successful agent for American exporters based in Manila. Her uncle owned "Pineda's Hat Shop" on calle Real in Intramuros, the old walled city in Manila, a popular shopping area during the American period. In the depression years of the 1930's, Salud uncle prevailed on her, as the eldest of three sisters, to forego fer schooling and manage the hat shop for the family's sake.

Because of her innate business sense and industry, the shop soon flourished and Salud gained valuable experience in management and entrepreneurship. After World War II, Pineda’s hat store was turned to rubble. But from these ruins rose a new enterprise that fulfilled Salud’s dream.

With support from her uncle, Salud and her husband, Atty. Nestor B. Tesoro, they managed to open their own store which retailed not only hats from her native Bulacan but the whole range of handicrafts from all over the Philippines. Together, they decided that a fitting name for this new venture would be that of Salud’s husband, Tesoro, for this means “treasure” in Spanish.

Thus, in 1945, the first Tesoro’s outlet was established in Escolta, then Manila ’s premier commercial district. Tesoro’s provided only quality merchandise made from indigenous materials. Each item bore the stamp of Filipino artistry and craftsmanship. In time, the name Tesoro’s became synonymous with the best of Philippines handicrafts.

More than sixty years after the Escolta shop opened, the commitment to quality and customer service remains firm. This commitment is upheld by Salud’s progeny who operate the nine Tesoro’s branches in the major commercial centers and selected hotel outlets all over Metro Manila and Metro Cebu.

Like their matriarch, they devote continuous attention to every aspect of the business – from merchandise selection and production to store display and customer relations.

Tesoro’s success in the local retail market is matched by equal results in exports. The best and finest Philippine handicrafts are continually introduced to the world by Tesoro’s as they ship to international buyers and participate in world expositions and trade exhibitions. Tesoro’s, the treasure house of things Philippine, will continue to serve its customers both here and abroad through the twenty-first century.

Hat arrived: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/post-new-hats-here.28145/page-1703#post-2281716

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24