Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat are you waiting for today?

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Good to see Daniel rockin' that Bond Modded hat! Great ribbon choice.
The hat is so nice, we have had it for about five years or so, cannot recall exactly when we did buy it, but a retailer was selling out all the Biltmore Open Road/Open crown hats they had...this one was purchased by Landman here on the lounge, and very few size 7 1/2 hats were available. So as we did order one, we were told sorry they just sold the last one...and gave a refund...then Landman sold us his. It is an amazing hat, the felt seems to feel more like vintage then even a Borso or any other newer more modern hat, the "hand" of this felt is nice and soft and smooth...that creamy feel that a vintage hat has.

BUT..the hat being all black just did not get worn....maybe two times since we have had it here and that was when Daniel wore the hat with one of his Tuxedos. Now it will see some head time for sure!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Oh, that is one of those Biltmore hats?

I have one as well and I also don't wear it very much. As much as black is one of my favorite colours, this all black hat is rather boring.

You've gotten me thinking now - it would be great with a burgundy ribbon [emoji3]

Heck, I don't even have to send it to Bond, I can walk over to Peters Bros.

Last edited:

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

I have one as well and I also don't wear it very much. As much as black is one of my favorite colours, this all black hat is rather boring.

You've gotten me thinking now - it would be great with a burgundy ribbon [emoji3]

Haha! Yes..we would walk over to Peter Bros, too,...might take a couple of dozen pairs of walking shoes to make that trip! Yes I think a burgundy ribbon would work super nice!

Bond does super nice work, and sure does not over charge. Not saying Peter Brothers could not handle it, either!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

What we thought about the all black hat is for a thin ribbon, you just do not see the shape or look of the hat, it just seems to get lost in "black"...so any other color can help show the look of the hat. And these are some fairly nice hats to begin with! Some have them that say Silver Buckle and others just says Wilderness Collection, but they were all the same Biltmores from Canada...a bargain!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I'm still waiting for the Alley Kat Hat to be completed....however, I am so very positive the wait will be worth every minute!

Then I have two others to be made...one by Esther for ME! OH yeah! I am gonna spoil myself and have a Fedora made by Esther for me! It will be an early Christmas gift to me! Can you hear that? Listen closely...(jingle bells....jingle bells...) haha!

1. A Coober Pedy

11jp646.jpg

bjblo7.jpg

2. A Thoroughbred 20X beaver

3. An Akubra Woomera in black due in Nov.

4. A BSHW Fray ribbon clone (aiming for an Oct date but probably won't hold that).

I'm still waiting for the Alley Kat Hat to be completed....however, I am so very positive the wait will be worth every minute!

Then I have two others to be made...one by Esther for ME! OH yeah! I am gonna spoil myself and have a Fedora made by Esther for me! It will be an early Christmas gift to me! Can you hear that? Listen closely...(jingle bells....jingle bells...) haha!

You said two others?

Technonut

Practically Family
After around a 5 month wait for my turn in the queue for a re-blocking, and dimensional brim-cut, here's the finished result on John Penman's bench:

IMG_2103%202_zpsvv1ogi6p.jpg

The lid is a nice Guerra 1855 in rabbit, handmade in Italy. :) Due to an incorrect listing description on eBay regarding a hat purchased I thought to be fur-felt, but turned-out to be wool instead, I was able to negotiate an absolutely awesome discount on the Guerra. ;) It only took one look to know that this hat needed to be placed on John's Raider's block, and the brim given a dimensional cut with the jig he made after handling a Raider's fedora supplied to him by none other than Rich Swales (Hatter, and manager of Herbert Johnson at the time Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed, and personally fitted Harrison Ford)....

Here is how the Guerra looked originally:

s-l1600bb_zpsls9cjacl.jpg

s-l1600ee_zpsoy2c1g9s.jpg

Due to the hat's original construction method, John needed to totally replace the sweat-band with one of his for the re-block. The felt color is what I think to be Guerra's 'Mink'. The ribbon remains original, and neither color authentic to the movie hat, which is exactly how I wanted it. :)

Last edited:

RJR

After around a 5 month wait for my turn in the queue for a re-blocking, and dimensional brim-cut, here's the finished result on John Penman's bench:

The lid is a nice Guerra 1855 in rabbit, handmade in Italy. :) Due to an incorrect listing description on eBay regarding a hat purchased I thought to be fur-felt, but turned-out to be wool instead, I was able to negotiate an absolutely awesome discount on the Guerra. ;) It only took one look to know that this hat needed to be placed on John's Raider's block, and the brim given a dimensional cut with the jig he made after handling a Raider's fedora supplied to him by none other than Rich Swales (Manager of Herbert Johnson at the time Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed, and personally fitted Harrison Ford)....

Due to the hat's original construction method, John needed to totally replace the sweat-band with one of his for the re-block. The felt color is what I think to be Guerra's 'Mink'. The ribbon remains original, and neither color authentic to the movie hat, which is exactly how I wanted it. :)
Nice job by John.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

The lid is a nice Guerra 1855 in rabbit, handmade in Italy. :) Due to an incorrect listing description on eBay regarding a hat purchased I thought to be fur-felt, but turned-out to be wool instead, I was able to negotiate an absolutely awesome discount on the Guerra. ;) It only took one look to know that this hat needed to be placed on John's Raider's block, and the brim given a dimensional cut with the jig he made after handling a Raider's fedora supplied to him by none other than Rich Swales (Manager of Herbert Johnson at the time Raiders of the Lost Ark was filmed, and personally fitted Harrison Ford)....

Wow super nice!

View attachment 57089 View attachment 57090 I'm waiting from the USA this beautiful Stetson Twenty Sovereign Mode Edge, 7-1/4, it needs some care and I'd want it with a C-crown, gangster style!
Open crown is 6", brim is 2.25.y
It comes with original box, can you tell me what's the production year?
Thank you.
I have found it helps to post images of the liner tip and sweat logos. Also another big help in dating is any manufacturers tags and union logos under the sweat band. Looks to be a nice hat, most likely from the 1950s based on the "look". There are a number of experts, other wise known as "expired drips under pressure" that will chime in with the extra information.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn