Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing, But Struggle to In Public

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Jokingly came up with this thread topic, but some folks felt it might actually be a fun place to post and enjoy photos of hats that we own and sometimes wear, but feel intimidated to wear outside our own yards.

Here’s the hat that brought on the idea:
(I feel it’s just too much rolled brim for South Georgia social comfort :))
82BD5006-77A3-44A2-8C30-17B4CCDF33A6.jpeg

48F23505-73EF-48CB-912C-A1DE8C47404C.jpeg
56D52A13-2110-4B08-9C50-3FE7122ED09E.jpeg
6D8886A0-BDF4-400E-B01D-68B9AEB5E0B3.jpeg

Jokingly came up with this thread topic, but some folks felt it might actually be a fun place to post and enjoy photos of hats that we own and sometimes wear, but feel intimidated to wear outside our own yards.

(I feel it’s just too much rolled brim for South Georgia social comfort :)) View attachment 540736
View attachment 540737 View attachment 540738 View attachment 540735
This is sooo much similar to the hat I will post. Except mine is brown felt. I love my hat but have yet to wear it out in public.

(I feel it’s just too much rolled brim for South Georgia social comfort :)) View attachment 540736

I love it. A Tom Mix with a planters flare.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Only to set it straight for the sake of ole Tom and this 80s hat in my possession here’s a few photos that I looked at before shaping the brim.
From the angle used in two of the pics of my hat I can see why you’d say part planter’s hat since the crown appears low.
But in this photo you can see the front of the Gus crease at 4 3/4” and the rear at 6 1/2”. Not as tall as Mix’s hats, but this Stetson didn’t come with the 7or 8 inch crown his did.
Any other photos of Tom’s hats have the same swoopyness I put in the one I have.
B9CE94D9-AEBD-4E95-9AEA-668167E46352.jpeg
F5F08382-F9D1-417E-B2E0-95DF40FDF774.png

Last edited:

Cool idea. Reminds me a bit of this guy from Mulholland Drive:
1692349044814.png

You'll need a coat like that as well.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This is the biggest hat I have. Knox Stagecoach with a 7 inch open crown and 4 1/2 inch brim with a pencil curl. I gave this one a Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick and shaped the brim with a slight curl. I've worn this one outside in the Winter when I walked my dog. I don't think I'd wear it to the grocery store, though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818-073115~2.png
    Screenshot_20230818-073115~2.png
    859.1 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20230817-164201~3.png
    Screenshot_20230817-164201~3.png
    447.2 KB · Views: 54
  • Knox-Stagecoach-12-A.jpg
    Knox-Stagecoach-12-A.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
This is the biggest hat I have. Knox Stagecoach with a 7 inch open crown and 4 1/2 inch brim with a pencil curl. I gave this one a Montana Pinch with a Mule Kick and shaped the brim with a slight curl. I've worn this one outside in the Winter when I walked my dog. I don't think I'd wear it to the grocery store, though.
That crown crease certainly emphasizes 7” height! You wear it well, too. Maybe you and I need to actually consider wearing these around town?
…..nah. Even with the right coat, caint do it.
Maybe a live stock show somewheres?
Not that I know anything about cows; except grillin em.
I have two top hats that need to be posted here as well, since I don’t attend operas, either.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
That crown crease certainly emphasizes 7” height! You wear it well, too. Maybe you and I need to actually consider wearing these around town?
…..nah. Even with the right coat, caint do it.
Maybe a live stock show somewheres?
Not that I know anything about cows; except grillin em.
I have two top hats that need to be posted here as well, since I don’t attend operas, either.
Thank you, kemosabie! The biggest drawback with this 7 inch crown is if you're over 6 feet you can't walk through a doorway without knocking it off your head! But, you're on! If you wear yours out in public I'll do the same with mine, and we'll post our pics right here! That would be perfect for this thread!

Don't forget, if you post a picture of yourself wearing a Top Hat, you gotta have an Opera Cape to wear with it...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230819-082652~2.png
    Screenshot_20230819-082652~2.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 63

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, kemosabie! The biggest drawback with this 7 inch crown is if you're over 6 feet you can't walk through a doorway without knocking it off your head! But, you're on! If you wear yours out in public I'll do the same with mine, and we'll post our pics right here! That would be perfect for this thread!

Don't forget, if you post a picture of yourself wearing a Top Hat, you gotta have an Opera Cape to wear with it...
Or a black leather cross zip!
24798A3C-2666-49C5-B4F8-76DB92E44820.jpeg

Wearing western style hats is not something that fits within the urban and suburban surroundings where I live. Those that do are looked upon with a mixture of compassion and pity, because you didn't make it to the line dance in time. Line dancing is something one should not confess to anyone being involved in anyway over here, lest they think you're not able to make any friends and are desperately trying anything now. Wearing a bowler or even a top hat will have people think you're eccentric, but not a total loser. A western (and line dancing) will get you there.
So this hat, fine as it is, will not be making an appearance in public especially not open crowned. I don't mind to be viewed as an eccentric nor the "where's your horse?" comments I get often enough with even ordinary fedoras. But I will not be linked with line dancing in any shape or form!

IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6127.jpg
IMG_6128.jpg

The back alley is as far as it goes.

Mighty44

One Too Many
Wearing western style hats is not something that fits within the urban and suburban surroundings where I live. Those that do are looked upon with a mixture of compassion and pity, because you didn't make it to the line dance in time. Line dancing is something one should not confess to anyone being involved in anyway over here, lest they think you're not able to make any friends and are desperately trying anything now. Wearing a bowler or even a top hat will have people think you're eccentric, but not a total loser. A western (and line dancing) will get you there.
So this hat, fine as it is, will not be making an appearance in public especially not open crowned. I don't mind to be viewed as an eccentric nor the "where's your horse?" comments I get often enough with even ordinary fedoras. But I will not be linked with line dancing in any shape or form!

View attachment 541401 View attachment 541402 View attachment 541403

The back alley is as far as it goes.
Love it! And what an excellent idea for a thread @Randall Renshaw.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner