Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
DOUGLAS said:
True Alan, they seem to have been very popular. This one is in great shape but I am not convinced that it looks good on me though.

Well, you've managed to convince me, Douglas....I think it looks outstanding, and the clothes do as well....Love the entire combination of the boater, fantastic vest & tie!!!

Always well put together, Douglas!! :eusa_clap

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Douglas, On you, that boater looks really good. I've always been fascinated by them, but every time I try one on it just makes ME look goofy. Now, this on the other hand...

P1040019.jpg

A few weeks ago, we were watching one of the "Beach Party" movies on TCM. I think it was "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini." Buster Keaton was sporting this model. I just happened to have a spare black fedora going to waste, so I made one like Buster's.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Douglas,

Sharp looking boater my man! You do wear it well. Good looking vest to boot. I also like the hat & vest combo you have in your avatar. Your hat & vest collection never ceases to amaze me.:eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
J.T.Marcus said:
Douglas, On you, that boater looks really good. I've always been fascinated by them, but every time I try one on it just makes ME look goofy. Now, this on the other hand...

P1040019.jpg

A few weeks ago, we were watching one of the "Beach Party" movies on TCM. I think it was "How to Stuff a Wild Bikini." Buster Keaton was sporting this model. I just happened to have a spare black fedora going to waste, so I made one like Buster's.

J.T., you've nailed the Buster Keaton lid.....Looks sharp to me!!! Nice work on the "Keaton Bash"!! :eusa_clap

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you gentlemen for the kind compliments.
Hey JT, you've done well with the Keaton style. That type seems to have been common back in the day. This is a photo of my Grand Mothers family in the Teens
DSCN3966.jpg

Most of the hats to me seem to ride pretty high on the head and have shallow crowns. I don't think that I could pull it off.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
DOUGLAS said:
I like the way they look, I'm just not sure it looks good for my shape. I will get another that is my size and see how it looks. I definitely need the taller type though.
It looks GREAT on you. They all look GREAT on you.

And I hate you for that...:)

DOUGLAS

Mr. Lucky said:
I hate you for that...:)
If it is any consolation Mr.Lucky I look ridiculous in Pork Pies,stingy bimmmed hats and most Cowboy and Western wide brimmed hats. I am most comfortable with 5"t0 5.5" crowns and 2.5" to 2-5/8" brims. Once I start showing the western Hats you will see what I mean.

DOUGLAS

J.T., I have a bunch of old photos in the GAA forum under the thread
photos back then

bolthead

Great job JT.
Was the crown of that hat originally that short to begin with? If not, how did you get it so short? Also, what is the height of the crown anyway?

BTW, am I missing something? I don't see a vest on him? [huh]

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, bolthead. The hat started out as a standard black Resistol, with a 2" brim and about a 4 1/2" crown. I pushed the crown into an open dome, then down in the center till the crown height was about 2 1/2". The next step is easier than it sounds. I pushed the dome from the inside, till the peak came up just about even with the existing crown edge. I know it sounds like too much material is folded into the crown, but remember, it now sits higher on the head. (Heads, like hats, are also tapered) It was fun, and I will wear it, from time to time.

DOUGLAS

Stetson Open Road

You have all seen this one before but it is too good to keep on a shelf.
DSCN5776.jpg

DSCN5792.jpg

DSCN5778.jpg

DOUGLAS

I don't think so Dean there is fading behind the ribbon now at the same line as the present one.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Douglas, That edge treatment intrigues me. Looks like maybe three rows of stitching. Does it have a name for the edge, anywhere inside the hat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou