Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I can imagine they can be LOUD.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqggX1gCKvk

This is just a little clip of said parrot.

Well, I know I'm ordering a bordeaux felt capeline on monday :)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
African grey. I knew it. They are unbelievable talkers/mimics. When I just played the video my macaw next to me started screaming. Lol. And that color was called "Bordeaux" by the dealer/ manufacturer.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Dave...? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Not here, man...

Another +++ on your Guerra, Bob. I really like that color and you're bold enough to wear it, thank goodness. Esther, looking nice as usual, and Moon is folding in with the rest. Some super lids today (I like that Pecos).

Ketchin' up...

Off work the rest of this week and the next for some R&R. Spent yesterday in a drizzle, with temps in the low 60s and too much of a breeze, watching my Reds lose their 12th straight to the Cubbies at the last home game - and a Businessman's Special - of the season. But hey, I was inside the ballpark and what did the man say? "A dog at the ballpark beats steak at the Ritz."

My Adam Pacesetter kept me cozy in the cold and rain

IMG_1433.JPG

Today, out and about running errands in a Dalton. Don't know what to call this one, sort of a diminutive OR, I guess

IMG_1434.JPG IMG_1437.JPG

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

Good looking hats today.
SBG, the Playboy rocks.
Esther, we hever get tired of seeing your work. The colors that are not traditional for men's hats still need a voice!
Bob, I think Esther's color palette is rubbing off on you...the more I look at that one the more I like it.

Today is a (supposed) 50's Empite State Hats Milan I saw while buntal fishing on the Bay. I liked the looks of it, so I bought it on a whum. The sweat looked like it might be crispy in the pics, but I have sweatbands. It was crispy, so I put in a new one, changed the ugly ribbon to a patriotic one and herecwe are.

b5446d0bca07ffd59648c1a3ede873a2.jpg
65ee643e4e1c59c22386e5cb8bba7f52.jpg
ab49f3ff79b453d1f95f236e9f96deea.jpg
b9e7ab173083838ea34d2ccc6bcf8a7a.jpg

Have a great day!

Last edited:
Thanks! It appears to have strong weather resistant characteristics. The European hat (in this case Central Europe / Bohemia) companies of this time period (and earlier) were great at making wool and wool blend hats.

All the Karl Misik (KAMI) hats that were part of my Czech find are made of wool. Here is another one.

19690000105_de583d5738_b.jpg

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hey everyone!

Good looking hats today.
SBG, the Playboy rocks.
Esther, we hever get tired of seeing your work. The colors that are not traditional for men's hats still need a voice!
Bob, I think Esther's color palette is rubbing off on you...the more I look at that one the more I like it.

Thx Moe. A little feminine inspiration!

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Not here, man...

Another +++ on your Guerra, Bob. I really like that color and you're bold enough to wear it, thank goodness. Esther, looking nice as usual, and Moon is folding in with the rest. Some super lids today (I like that Pecos).

Ketchin' up...

Off work the rest of this week and the next for some R&R. Spent yesterday in a drizzle, with temps in the low 60s and too much of a breeze, watching my Reds lose their 12th straight to the Cubbies at the last home game - and a Businessman's Special - of the season. But hey, I was inside the ballpark and what did the man say? "A dog at the ballpark beats steak at the Ritz."

My Adam Pacesetter kept me cozy in the cold and rain

Thank You Fruno. Bold is Beautiful! Love the Adam and The Band. Ok... the ribbon.

EstherWeis

Vendor
Hey everyone!

Good looking hats today.
SBG, the Playboy rocks.

Thx Moe. A little feminine inspiration!

I find bordeaux to be quite a unisex colour.
Emmanuel has a shirt and some pants in a deep red wine colour.
I've been trying to talk him into a suit, but i just get the hairy eyeball.
I feel that one day it shall magically appear in his closet. :)

I do admit, a red dress is thé thing to give the vava voom.
I'll just add a bordeaux wide brimmed fedora.
I only had one red hat. This was way in the beginning of the hatmaking...
I wasn't a fan, maybe now with fall i could pull it off.

a0641dbedd903dc65eab087c6ea9f55d.jpg

Mayser, maybe that's just me. But i hate the smell of wool when it gets wet.
But nice hat! Looks in great condition and i like the bow on that!

Mayser, maybe that's just me. But i hate the smell of wool when it gets wet.
But nice hat! Looks in great condition and i like the bow on that!

Thanks! These old European wool soft and stiff felt hats when wet or steamed produce a pungent odor (similar to old fur felts) that is hard to describe but it's not unappealing. It probably has to do with the decatizing or other processing.

What is interesting is the hat a wore today has more of stiff / rough finish. The wool hat by the same company that I posted below it is extremely pliable and very soft to the touch.

Last edited:
Thanks! With some old European hats it's difficult to determine felt content. The hat a wore today is easy to detect in hand (not by photo) but the hat I posted below it would be problematic even in hand.

See the last part "Wool Felts Large Factor in Europe" of this TAH article (1920s) on Victor Böhm owner of Brüder Böhm.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-br%C3%BCder-b%C3%B6hm-hutfabrik/#entry384

The first part of this Textile Colorist article from 1921 is also worth taking a look at.

https://books.google.com/books?id=NOg1AQAAMAAJ&lpg=PP11&ots=hyROv0HUhd&dq=synthetic%20dye%20industry%20hat%20making&pg=PA384#v=onepage&q&f=false

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou