Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonak "Jubilant" 160 Years, JHS (148) + Tonak (12), 1959

28340373611_e5eaa9cbfb_c.jpg

27802385794_01f3d747f5_c.jpg

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Fed IV Deluxe again. Guess what was only a few blocks from my hotel?!?!?! I had no idea until opposing counsel at our depositions, who wears a custom Hemingway Panama hat, told me it was right down the road!!!

431c9ac2a687b15f738fea7171fcbb7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Shit... Please go back and tell them I am waiting for some pics of their pecan ribbon !!$

Ja ja ja

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I covet, David.

#10 in Stone !

You're right on, Bob. But, don't forget the magic cleaner for tree pitch, Purell, or just about any other waterless hand cleaner. Works like a charm, won't disturb the hat dye. Works even better on your car!

I've gotta get some of that stuff Charlie , I was thinking about it yesterday . Double Good that it works on the Rides , too .

Early '70s Stetson Derringer straw. Need to glue the liner tip back in, but this allows a good through-the-weave shot. Note that the vents don't align.

515068d1327108b45b2d03965cfb93dc.jpg

a7dede101a7c5b0487cc46621f3ad7c4.jpg

e56cdcd6b9ddba42330103fb24870e26.jpg

The Derringer looks Great Bob !

View attachment 53430 Here is better look at Sasha.

Australian (Aussies) Shepherds are my #1 Dog , followed by Australian Cattle Dog ( My Cowgirl , AKA Heelers) , and Border Collies . She's Pretty DaddyO !

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Fed IV Deluxe again. Guess what was only a few blocks from my hotel?!?!?! I had no idea until opposing counsel at our depositions, who wears a custom Hemingway Panama hat, told me it was right down the road!!!

431c9ac2a687b15f738fea7171fcbb7a.jpg

What did you Order Eli ? Or did you get some ideas ? ... that was nice of the opposition to tip you off . The least he could do . I bet it was a Treat !

Eliesti

A-List Customer
What did you Order Eli ? Or did you get some ideas ? ... that was nice of the opposition to tip you off . The least he could do . I bet it was a Treat !

I didn't order anything yet. Have to get the wife on board, but I did like the custom hemp straws that I've seen some of you wear on here.

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Brilliant - Peters Bros is a 15 minute walk from where we live.

Bit warm for a felt hat at the moment though.

Too bad we didn't grab a beer! And you aren't kidding about the heat! I could only take one
hat though and it had to go with a suit so I left the Balmoral behind.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I've been wearing a Panama hat I picked up on my first trip to Ecuador in 2012. It's been warmer here lately so the Toquilla straw seems sensible. Today, though, I went to pick up an Everyman Raider hat from John Penman. He creased it, while I was there, to resemble the Crystal Skull hat in Indy 4. What an artist, and humble, too! A custom is on order, but I was jonesing for one of John's hats and couldn't wait 6-8 months for it. Sweet Nellie! If this is his "factory offering" then I'm in for a real treat around Christmas this year.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good evening. This evening I rushed out of the gym in order to try and make it to my local cobbler shop to pick up a pair of gunboats that I am having some replacement soles installed. Unfortunately the Minnesota summer construction season is in full swing and I never made it before the 7:00pm closing. Oh man!

Next door to the cobbler is a thrift shop that I have visited several times. I stopped in and said Hi to the woman owner. She said she had a straw hat I would be interested in. Nearing closing she said that she would bet that if I could come within $3.00 of the original price of the straw hat I could have it for 2 times the original sticker cost. Ah ha! After examining the outside and then the inside with the owner covering the attached price sticker I guessed $3.00. Cheers! I am the winner!

i-kF3MBNM-M.jpg

I summized that the late 50's early 60's fedora inexpensive field fedora cost less than $5.00. Yes - the sticker shows it's cost at $1.87. I can not imagine how the price came to be $1.87 - but I was pleased. I did pick up a couple of vtg. ties and some Dansk pottery for my wife so that we all felt good with the outcome.

i-VsQ62Dd-M.jpg

i-9gdC58Q-S.jpg

Good evening to all, Eric -

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Good evening. This evening I rushed out of the gym in order to try and make it to my local cobbler shop to pick up a pair of gunboats that I am having some replacement soles installed. Unfortunately the Minnesota summer construction season is in full swing and I never made it before the 7:00pm closing. Oh man!

Next door to the cobbler is a thrift shop that I have visited several times. I stopped in and said Hi to the woman owner. She said she had a straw hat I would be interested in. Nearing closing she said that she would bet that if I could come within $3.00 of the original price of the straw hat I could have it for 2 times the original sticker cost. Ah ha! After examining the outside and then the inside with the owner covering the attached price sticker I guessed $3.00. Cheers! I am the winner!

I summized that the late 50's early 60's fedora inexpensive field fedora cost less than $5.00. Yes - the sticker shows it's cost at $1.87. I can not imagine how the price came to be $1.87 - but I was pleased. I did pick up a couple of vtg. ties and some Dansk pottery for my wife so that we all felt good with the outcome.

Looks like you won the Lottery Eric ! That's a Nice Hat ! Congratulations ! WOW ! Right Place at the Right Time ! And Connections !

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Looks like you won the Lottery Eric ! That's a Nice Hat ! Congratulations ! WOW ! Right Place at the Right Time ! And Connections !

Thanks sir. I feel lucky after a long day. I imagine many on the forum would have been able to swing a great deal. (Full disclosure - I had owned one very similar from a local department store that had a sticker price nearly the same as this straw hat.)

The proprietor and I always chuckle how she owes me because she on many occasions contacted me about prices of vintage hats and what is a market price. I show her links of info to source, but she prefers to call. I have "earned" several great discounts.

Perhaps this is an example of "good guys" winning in the end. I just do not wish to wait til the end.

Patient for the end, but impatient for the most things - most days, Eric -

Last edited:

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up

i-kF3MBNM-M.jpg

i-VsQ62Dd-M.jpg

i-9gdC58Q-S.jpg

Class act Eric, class act.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Too bad we didn't grab a beer! And you aren't kidding about the heat! I could only take one
hat though and it had to go with a suit so I left the Balmoral behind.

Yes, walking in Ft Worth in the summer makes a beer a perfect idea [emoji1][emoji481]

I waited until the sun went down to walk our doggie around town this evening - still very warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerryShaw