Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
Later, flea market and my Afrika Korps Pith Helmet
c0467aadeededd48ff49e2d83a599483.jpg
7c3a601948b53c68ed370709a689675e.jpg
3aafa76d422d6a3e2335fa87f4f8bbf1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I look for excuses to wear those shoes! I usually order a 10.5 EE, but they only had E and EEE sizes so I got the E. They may work in a bit and be fine. You never know, but maybe I should have gone for the EEE.... but hey, I bought them to wear to church and social functions, not backpacking!
Boy I don't blame you for trying to find an excuse to wear those they are real dandies!! Hopefully they stretch a little to fit your feet Doug.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
He's swapped ribbons and added a brim binding to one of mine. Biltmore Naples. View attachment 79331
That's the hat!! I remember when you wore this a week or so ago and you and this hat were actually my motivation to try it. Its on my black Temple I got from Goodwill and I really don't find myself wearing it much. I thought if I could do something similar to yours Bob it would get more use.

totallyfrozen

One of the Regulars
Later, flea market and my Afrika Korps Pith Helmet
c0467aadeededd48ff49e2d83a599483.jpg
7c3a601948b53c68ed370709a689675e.jpg
3aafa76d422d6a3e2335fa87f4f8bbf1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I think the combination of the invention of air conditioning and the sun helmet's association with colonialism caused it to fade out of common use sometime in the mid 20th century. I'm glad to see that there are a few of us trying to keep it from becoming completely extinct like the tricornered hat. Here in south Texas, I've tried a number of various hot weather headwear and, honestly, I haven't found anything else that works as well as a properly fitting pith helmet.
Honestly, I've tried mesh ball caps, do rags (wet and dry), cowboy hats, straw hats, boonie hats (wet and dry), even just a wet towel on my head. The pith helmet is king of sun hats, IMO.
Today, I was doing some heavy yard work (digging up bushes with a machete and a spade). It was humid and around 100°. Wet my head with the garden hose, put the pith on, and felt comfortable. I was able to work for a couple of hours straight. I felt so comfortable that at one point I stopped and took the helmet off to see if it was really doing much. I'm not exaggerating to say that the sun heated my head to being uncomfortable in less than one minute. Honestly, it was just a few seconds maybe 30 or so. Even after all my past ranting about the efficacy of the pith helmet, I was actually surprised at how much of a difference it had made. I know I sound like a broken record about these hats. People will have to get past the stereotypes and historical associations if they're ever to make a comeback, but they really are ingenious and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR