Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Two hat day. For services this morning I wore Black Sheep Hat Works "Goldfinch" in silverbelly.

IMG_1276.jpg
IMG_1277.jpg
IMG_1278.jpg

This afternoon I wore a 60s Stetson XXX for the first time. This is a conversion piece by our own @bond. Love the light sage color on this hat.

IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1282.jpg
IMG_3877.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
End of the week I was outside happily wearing a vtg. Stetson Stratoliner. This was advertised as being "Cadet Blue."

i-8t4TsJZ-M.jpg

i-8hXhVQt-M.jpg

i-jZFw3NK-M.jpg

Traveling/working this weekend I grabbed a pic of my cap, gunboats and coffee during a "travel wait."

i-KC8BcSz-M.jpg

This evening I arrived home and needed to complete some outside chores before the forecasted big storm. I wore a vtg. blue Mallory.

i-MLBPc82-M.jpg

i-TzkVJhq-M.jpg

i-xGdHfWJ-M.jpg

Best, Eric -
All your hats are super Eric, but that cadet blue Strat...the best ever!

Very nice, Red! Really like the wider ribbon with that crown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It started life as sort of an OR clone. The sweat was toast, so I had Mike Miller re-work it all the way. New ribbon and sweat, different crease and due to Bob's influence, a whip stitch on the cut down (1/4") brim. Turned an old stiff Monkey Wards clone into something special. Thanks D!

EinarsM

Vendor
I always have thought of trilbys as smaller dimensions, some snap to brim but no edge binding and no curl to edge of brim, and taperd crown.

Homburgs have curled brim with binding and little taper to crown. Usually a center crown dent but the crown can be other bashes.
When I look at that hat it looks like a Homburg to me. It has more presence and quality. I always think of trilbys as lower quality felt hats. Maybe they aren't but they look it to me. I would expect a trilby to be less than $100 and Homburgs to fetch >$200

That sounds about right. All though, somehow I would like for a Trilby to be finer looking. Maybe I have a created a new breed of hat. But very much doubt it. :)

Another good one, Einars. I'm getting a bit of the thirties feel out of that one. Very nice.

Thanks! 30s is the inspiration for most of my work. Keeping it alive I hope.

It varies. I have homburgs with brim widths between 4,5 en 6,5 cm. The blocking and taper are different from hat to hat as well. What they do have in common is the way the brim curl is facing inwards; not as sharp as with old bowler hats (which tend to lie horizontal), but close to that. This one resembles hat styles from the twenties and thirties; a softer felt hat with some brim curl, but not the formality of a homburg. It would be quite a common style at the time. Quite a cool look if you ask me.

Thanks again! The intention was not to go overboard on the curl but I guess it did end up as a Homburg. I would still make the side of the brim curl up a bit more then call it a Homburg. But it would be great for me to straighten out my definition of what makes a Homburg. A lot of fun to make, more hours put into it. All hand stitched.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
By Matt's (@mmbarnes) request, my first vintage find. Picked this up at a Ft. Worth antique market on a business trip there. Disney Twenty with a Cavanagh edge, originally sold at Washer Brothers.

ca608244cd637a05d83dbb619541a328.jpg
131f4593c087d2e11cb03093a7472612.jpg
3f2099755167ce0521e9a7ee762b2e0d.jpg
6503855896b255f851221d75d00781ad.jpg
d45fd3492adbcb69bf41a1f11f660dd7.jpg
314b06cfd1c1d0ec738ab125d03bf66f.jpg

And because I know Red demands it, the back bow.

92eb3e6fedbeb14eb2846b0dc5a9df94.jpg

Happy Monday all.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Nice Jim! Thanks! Great ribbon color and width.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran