Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Musashi said:
I Know there$ a very good rea$on for thi$, but ever V$ hat i $ee $eems to look mile$ better than the re$t of the hat$ around, and fit$ the wearer perfectly. I think I know what my 'WI$H HAT" is... :D

(FYI No Offense intended but the '$' joke, I just couldn't help myself. I'm sure they are worth every penny, they look it in the pictures, i bet in real life they are amazing! I have heard nothing buy praise for VS and Mr. Fawcett)

No offense taken, Musashi! Art's hats do indeed cost more than off-the-shelf models. But they cost far less than, say, a bespoke pair of shoes or suit would. Art could charge a lot more than he does, but he is making an effort to keep his hats within reach of the common man.
As for why they look so much better, part of the equation is top-notch materials, another part is consumate skill. But most important is simply the fact that he uses tall crowns with little or no taper. It's amazing what a difference this makes. Hat companies would do well to incorporate at least a few models with straight-sided crowns into their lines. There is nothing wrong with a tapered crown if you have the physiognomy that requires it, but not all people do. Even a modest quality hat looks impressive with a full crown--the Akubra Campraft is a good example.
Anyone contemplating buying a hat for the first time should keep in mind the cost/value ratio. Paying twice or three times as much for a hat that will last ten times as long is not really expensive in the long run. Plus you get other benefits such as perfect fit, intense customer service, and the ability to choose all the details and features yourself.

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Jauntyone said:
No offense taken, Musashi! Art's hats do indeed cost more than off-the-shelf models. But they cost far less than, say, a bespoke pair of shoes or suit would. Art could charge a lot more than he does, but he is making an effort to keep his hats within reach of the common man.
As for why they look so much better, part of the equation is top-notch materials, another part is consumate skill. But most important is simply the fact that he uses tall crowns with little or no taper. It's amazing what a difference this makes. Hat companies would do well to incorporate at least a few models with straight-sided crowns into their lines. There is nothing wrong with a tapered crown if you have the physiognomy that requires it, but not all people do. Even a modest quality hat looks impressive with a full crown--the Akubra Campraft is a good example.
Anyone contemplating buying a hat for the first time should keep in mind the cost/value ratio. Paying twice or three times as much for a hat that will last ten times as long is not really expensive in the long run. Plus you get other benefits such as perfect fit, intense customer service, and the ability to choose all the details and features yourself.
:arated:

Musashi

One of the Regulars
So Art actually sends you by mail a device to measure your head? "Conformer" ?

Thats pretty awesome if so. I may just have to make my next hat one of these.
Can anyone discretely (PM) suggest to me how much money we are talking about for a custom job?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Nokabout...

Nokabout-1-1.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
I like that Mallory Jimmy!
We were posting about the same time.
Great minds ya know. :D

Look forward to see what you bring to Monteagle!

Thanks, R! That Strat of yours has been getting a workout lately! :D

I know two hats I'll be bringing to Monteagle for sure...;)

Cheers,
JtL

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Was going to wear the nice warm Biltmore Golden Pheasant:
100_0181.jpg

When really I want to wear my beloved Resistol only it, unfortunately has the sweat about ready to fall out of it and will be shipped out this coming week along with a couple others to Optimo to be repaired. (It will be missed):
100_0238.jpg

So, after all, I will probably be wearing my Akubra Stockman that my father gave me just this autumn after all my years of lusting after it:
Stockman.jpg

If all this has you confused take a look at the icon I used above:rolleyes:
lol

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great hat week-end for everyone! DJ-Cat, J-1, Anon, Scott, RBH, and JTL; what great hats! Colors, styles, AND (AS Lefty calls it) swagger, well done all.

Went out with some old friends yesterday in my Royal DeLuxe Stetson Open Road:
RDSORPortis004.jpg

And wore my Portis Lite-Wate for church this morning:
RDSORPortis001.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace