Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
David – you hit it, right around an inch I’d say.
Manfred – thanks as always.

Just visited the hatshaper website- good site to have in my bookmarks.

you mentioned that your beaver brand is a long oval; how did this straight sided dome shape compare with your presumably long oval head?

It did take the Beaver Brand a bit off the long oval, but not much, and as stiff as it is with a little steam I’ll be able to coax it right back. Not wanting to totally disassemble that hat, I just steamed it and forced it on the mold with the sweatband in place.

TPD166

One Too Many
My "new" (to me) vintage 4X Stevens Open Road clone in dark moss green.

Stevens_ORC.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
Most expensive hat yet...Fed Ex just dropped off my new BMW System 6 Helmet; and not unlike old Stetsons, that number corresponds with (hundreds of) dollars. Very impressive engineering (Schuberth makes them), and talk about a snug fit...very light weight, great flip-up chin bar and flip-down sun visor that works with a slide lever on the outer edge of the helmet. Worth the cost and importing effort as they are not sold in the USA. And curiously, the Schuberth model sold here is NOT a long oval, where as the BMWs are; thus they don't drill a dent in your forehead after 15 minutes.

15775053-lg.jpg

15775052-lg.jpg

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
good to know- so do you think these hat shapers are a worthy investment then?

33 bucks isnt too bad i suppose, but the sewing of the parts seems to be a pain- care to opine on this?

B.J. Hedberg

Practically Family
Silverbelly Campdraft again today. Had planned on wearing the Jaxon straw hat I just received in the mail as a gift, but it had so much taper to it that I had to put it away in a dark cylindrical-shaped place.

DSCF0042.jpg

I guess this one and the white beaver brand will be my summer felts in the absence of a straw.

good to know- so do you think these hat shapers are a worthy investment then?

33 bucks isnt too bad i suppose, but the sewing of the parts seems to be a pain- care to opine on this?

Sewing in the sweatband wasn’t too bad, not really much worse than sewing on a ribbon, but the hat was too small so I couldn’t get it to sit flush on the base, thus I couldn’t iron the break crisply. I ended up with the whole thing sitting 1/8” lower than it should. Of course I also did it quickly while watching the Twilight Zone. I’m sure if I were to try it again, and tack it in place with actual needles instead of thread, it would go better. (I just used some thread and an ordinary sewing needle to reattach it).

If you were to come across a tall western with a wide brim for cheap, I think the hatshaper would work great in creating a straight, almost 6” crown hat. In fact I am thinking of picking up the brim flange and trying to find a light-colored western that I could play with. As one might expect though, it eats up a lot of felt to get 360 degrees of full crown. My Beaver Brand at 6 1/4” was pretty straight; with the hatshaper’s fuller form, it’s now about 5 7/8”-6”. I wouldn’t spend the money to buy brand new hats to reshape with it though. But for me, I think it was a good buy. Kind of fun.

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Javier, nice Panama, looks like a fine Hat!

TPD, congrats to the new arrival. Looks good the OR.

B.J, the CD looks good as always. The ribbon shines blue.? Is it blue?

Jared, the gay prince is a fine lid, enjoy it!

David, great looking Panama. The weave looks like a Milan. Could it be!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Joao, nice Resistol, the color looks great!

Some noggin shots, of my new Homburger.
The brown Hat is a Wegener Colonel mid 50's to 60's and the gray, an Iltis from VEB German Democratic Republic.

wear90.jpg

wear91.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot