Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Too Many
Today wearing this hat, but I put on timing set; a traveler borsalino
15027737_10208893361469697_7872086713288582440_n.jpg

I'm running out of superlatives to express my thoughts about your hats, Alan...
That's okay, we allow regularlatives here. :cool:

Wait! Wait! Are you the guy who assaulted him and then got decked??? You rascal, you! :D
That was Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin who did the decking, not John Glenn. And that jerk Bart Sibrel (the guy he decked) deserved it.

We'll be here all week.
And the week after that. And the week after that. And the week after that. And...oh, you get the idea.

I have hats but I hardly wear them. It feels so weird in public since nobody wears them. All I see are snapbacks. And it doesn't help that I'm an introvert...
Speaking as a native southern Californian, I can state from personal experience that most southern Californians are self-centered imbeciles who probably wouldn't notice if your head was on fire; hats aren't even a blip on their radar.

I think many of us started out being at least a little self-conscious when we started wearing hats regularly, but there's a saying here on The Lounge that you'll see from time to time: Wear your hat, don't let your hat wear you. That's the short way of saying choose a hat, put it on your head, and forget about it. Go about your day, and don't give it a second thought. Before long, people who see you regularly will be surprised if you're not wearing a hat. You might hear comments occasionally--some negative, some positive--but who cares? After all, it's just a hat. If you like them, wear them.

Oh, and just in case you hadn't noticed, posting photos of your hats--particularly photos of you wearing your hats--is almost mandatory here. And be prepared to learn more about hats than you ever thought you'd want to know. That's how it starts, y'see. "I think I'd like to start wearing hats." So you get a hat or two...or ten. Then someone suggests maybe you might try a hat with a wider brim, or a less-tapered crown, and the next thing you know you're engaged in deep discussions about blocking, and flanges, and ribbon widths, and brim bindings, and whether reeded or unreeded sweatbands are better, and the merits of beaver felt over rabbit felt, and why vintage felts are superior to modern felts, and...well, I don't want to scare you off so I'll stop there. Just wait; it'll happen. Welcome to the Dark Side. :D

Rafterman333

New in Town
That's okay, we allow regularlatives here. :cool:

That was Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin who did the decking, not John Glenn. And that jerk Bart Sibrel (the guy he decked) deserved it.

And the week after that. And the week after that. And the week after that. And...oh, you get the idea.

Speaking as a native southern Californian, I can state from personal experience that most southern Californians are self-centered imbeciles who probably wouldn't notice if your head was on fire; hats aren't even a blip on their radar.

I think many of us started out being at least a little self-conscious when we started wearing hats regularly, but there's a saying here on The Lounge that you'll see from time to time: Wear your hat, don't let your hat wear you. That's the short way of saying choose a hat, put it on your head, and forget about it. Go about your day, and don't give it a second thought. Before long, people who see you regularly will be surprised if you're not wearing a hat. You might hear comments occasionally--some negative, some positive--but who cares? After all, it's just a hat. If you like them, wear them.

Oh, and just in case you hadn't noticed, posting photos of your hats--particularly photos of you wearing your hats--is almost mandatory here. And be prepared to learn more about hats than you ever thought you'd want to know. That's how it starts, y'see. "I think I'd like to start wearing hats." So you get a hat or two...or ten. Then someone suggests maybe you might try a hat with a wider brim, or a less-tapered crown, and the next thing you know you're engaged in deep discussions about blocking, and flanges, and ribbon widths, and brim bindings, and whether reeded or unreeded sweatbands are better, and the merits of beaver felt over rabbit felt, and why vintage felts are superior to modern felts, and...well, I don't want to scare you off so I'll stop there. Just wait; it'll happen. Welcome to the Dark Side. :D
This is the kind of response I like. And it helps especially for a newbie like myself. Thank you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

This is the kind of response I like. And it helps especially for a newbie like myself. Thank you.
You're very welcome. I've been where you are now. I didn't start wearing hats regularly until 2008. I had always liked fedoras, but being a child of the 1960s and '70s (i.e., a long-haired hippie type) I thought they'd look like a costume item on me. By '08 I finally decided I'd waited long enough, and was at the age (47) when I didn't care what anyone else thought, so I got my first "real" hat--an Akubra Federation IV. To be honest, I was a little self-conscious at first, but my family and friends liked it (or so they said ;)) so that gave me confidence. Then I joined The Lounge, and was exposed to a whole new world. I spent countless hours reading the posts and viewing the photos to figure out which styles I liked and which styles I didn't, and learning a great deal about hats in the process. And I've only scratched the surface.

Long story short, I'm now up to eight hats (a meager collection compared to some members) and five or six flat caps, and I honestly can't remember the last time I left the house without a hat on my head. You'll get there if you want to.

Oh, and welcome to The Lounge!

Rafterman333

New in Town
You're very welcome. I've been where you are now. I didn't start wearing hats regularly until 2008. I had always liked fedoras, but being a child of the 1960s and '70s (i.e., a long-haired hippie type) I thought they'd look like a costume item on me. By '08 I finally decided I'd waited long enough, and was at the age (47) when I didn't care what anyone else thought, so I got my first "real" hat--an Akubra Federation IV. To be honest, I was a little self-conscious at first, but my family and friends liked it (or so they said ;)) so that gave me confidence. Then I joined The Lounge, and was exposed to a whole new world. I spent countless hours reading the posts and viewing the photos to figure out which styles I liked and which styles I didn't, and learning a great deal about hats in the process. And I've only scratched the surface.

Long story short, I'm now up to eight hats (a meager collection compared to some members) and five or six flat caps, and I honestly can't remember the last time I left the house without a hat on my head. You'll get there if you want to.

Oh, and welcome to The Lounge!
I appreciate the warm welcome. Its good to know there's more people like me haha. I've been reading a lot on here but barely started posting today.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Lobbia Borsalino in a cold morning for the week dedicated to "Antica Casa di Alessandria" production
6ymwb6.jpg

It arrived from Italy in bad condition. It was sold in Bratislava (Czech Republic)
nr16z5.jpg

The paper label was ripped and it not readable
From the liner it could be made before WWII (It is my presumption)
9iz4b4.jpg

The color is for sure "Mirtillo" and the ribbon is original like the curled brim with some damage
BSHW did the restoration in a superb way
zmifyx.jpg

The felt is thick and very malleable
2w6bi1e.jpg

This Lobbia (as we call this type of hats) was a big dilemma because I did not know if it was worth to restore it, then color and shape convinced me.
Mirtillo (blueberry) is one of my favorite colors of Borsalino production

Thanks for the likes on the Borsalino Trionfo of yesterday

thekiyote

Familiar Face

I'd like to add that the negative connotation of fedoras is only online (but not in the lounge, of course).

You may get a comment about it, almost always good, but the majority of the time, people just don't care. Do what makes you happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner