Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Oh, I think you are a young pup...

Though your comments here about style belie a tender age! I'll preface with saying I'm not very good at judging the age of someone! But I'd say with that sweet baby face of yours (please take that as the compliment it is- hey I'm a mom okay)... 20-25 perhaps?

Since you asked me to guess, you know you'll now have to tell us! The only age criteria for guys that I have ever been able to bear out was if there is just a touch of crow's feet on a man's face, he's at least 30. As your pics are very soft focused (a photoshop effect?) I cannot completely tell from these three pics here.

BTW, the blk/white and soft focus look you've achieved in these pics is very nice, very different that the ones done in the old movies.

Just a thought, if you want to someday get more involved in hats, you should consider adding a steady diet of films of the golden era into your daily menu plan! Forget Bruce Willis; try Humphrey Bogart, William Powell, Fred Astaire and Cary Grant. Those gents could act and wear a hat well!

Looking forward to your future posts and hats!

bakers44 said:
haha, yes I came up with that line. That's the way I feel about it; I really think more people wish they could just break from the standard norm of a t-shirt and jeans, and wear something with a bit more class; they're just afraid to because it's not 'socially acceptable' anymore. I mean, I get guys complementing me on my hats all the time, and I'm like, 'Well, wear one if you like it!'

I'm glad you think I could actually pull this hat-making thing off! I really, really want to make a go of it.

By the way, just out of curiosity; how old do you think I am?
I won't be upset if you think I'm older than I actually am, I get that all the time anyway. :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Boodles said:
I had to look up the Stratton F-42 to get an idea of what this looked like before you reworked it. I like the folded brown pug. It kind of reminds me of photos from the old days when it seemed that the pug appeared to be a folded bandana which was wrapped and tucked. Most excellent. Soaked in alcohol leather sweat and all?
Thanks, Boodles! It's a good tough hat that I expect will see a lot of abuse. I soaked the entire thing for about a day and a half to soften it up, sweatband and all. I treated the sweatband afterwards, to keep it from drying out, and no worries. I have discovered, however, that hats do shrink after a dunking, so I've been retraining this hat back to the right size.

Incidentally, your signature quote reminded me that I have to get some Robert Ruark since I've never read any of his African material. The Honey Badger and Use Enough Gun seem like good places to start. Any recommendations?

gtdean48 said:
so I wore the Akubra Zephyr...
zep00.jpg
GTDean, I like the look of that Zephyr! Very sharp! I've looked at a few of the Akubra polypro straws, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. How does yours work in that intense Georgia heat and humidity? I have one polypro straw, a Bailey, but it is a bit too floppy with the constant wind out here, and the brim lets light through, which is annoying when a beam stabs you in the eye unexpectedly! Does the Akubra have any of those sorts of problems?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
A very dusty Campdraft. Cleaned junk out of two garages this morning. Good thing I had the hat on because I got pelted with plenty of falling debris when we were pulling junk out of the rafters ;). The photo doesn't quite capture the dirt.

hpim0826.jpg

Looking tall in the OR there, Torpedo :eusa_clap.

RBH

Bartender
CRH said:
A very dusty Campdraft. Cleaned junk out of two garages this morning. Good thing I had the hat on because I got pelted with plenty of falling debris when we were pulling junk out of the rafters ;). The photo doesn't quite capture the dirt.

hpim0826.jpg

Looking tall in the OR there, Torpedo :eusa_clap.
Built to last!
Looking good there CRH !

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
I like the hat, but I love the shoes. I think you had posted that they were Vass - is that right?

Wow, thanks Lefty and Bart. The shoes this time are not Vass (you have a good memory) but Crockett and Jones Handgrade, with many many months of hand polishing in a diffent colors! The Jeans are Sugarcane - the one with a natural Green Tea dye! You too guys, all looking smart!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo