Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks! As you know Steve, those few old gentlemen, those of an older generation who lived part of the great era of Italian hats, almost immediately recognize a hat of non-Italian production. Two days ago I was walking with the Huckel and a very old gentleman with a Borsalino on his head (70s) immediately asked me if he was German or Austrian. I showed it to him and he was happy with his precise look on the hats. A lady who always wears beautiful Borsalino for men, asked me if it was "foreign", I said yes and she was satisfied. Every now and then I meet her and I want to ask her who she inherited the Borsalino and Barbisio she wears. They are all, personal opinion from the 30s to the 50s.

Thanks a lot! The credit goes to the Huckel hatters;)
Daniele:
Today’s hat is impeccable, as always.
I bet a lot of folks around you wait to see what hat you are wearing just to see if they can pass the test of IDing the maker. I know i do. Sadly, i fail daily!!
Bowen

Hagwood

Call Me a Cab
The Dallas is a wonderful hat.
Those grey shoes make me wanna dress up and go somewhere. Cxl rocks, love the lace job and the blue is perfect.
Outstanding.
B

Thanks Bowen. I switch the laces out now and then, but I tend to leave the blue in more and wear with a blue shirt and gray slacks, and of course some bluish argyle socks. I get a lot of compliments every time I pair that up.

And good eye on the lacing, that’s a berluti knot that I use on all my dress shoes.

Here’s a tutorial in case anyone wants to try it:

https://www.hangerproject.com/blog/2018/01/12/berluti-knot-tutorial/

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Alan, after seeing many of your superlative, antique, mint condition hats, and @AbbaDatDeHat : Bowen’s, and @Short Balding Guy : Eric’s, and others, it makes me want to ask you guys: what are your far into the future plans for these fantastic vintage hats? No doubt each of you see yourselves as curators of self procurement hattery museums. Who will take care of these beauties when the sad day, no one wants to speak of, comes?
I’m sure we would all like to hear your individual answers.
Randy:
Sorry for the late response but in all honesty i had no idea how best to respond to your extremely flattering compliment.
Just to be mentioned in the same sentence as Alan and Eric’s hat collection is an honor reserved for few hat guys. When i think of other members, over the years and their collection i blush at any comparisons. Thank you kindly but you have a much higher opinion of my hats then i do. No mistake, i do have some good hats, many many here do, but at the end of the day i’m just a guy with some hats. The others mentioned and those of years past are/were experts in all things hats far beyond the understanding and comprehension of most of us. And thank God they are. Me/we are just privileged to be able to see and learn from their knowledge and generosity.

As far as “that day” when others have to deal with the overwhelming task of what to do with Pop’s stuff...i shudder to think. I’m afraid mine will have no choice but to put my endeavors in black plastic bags and hopefully go to Goodwill and not put them on the curb! I do need a plan to address this, thank you.
So...what’s your size?? Lol kinda
Be well. Bowen

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Bowen. I switch the laces out now and then, but I tend to leave the blue in more and wear with a blue shirt and gray slacks, and of course some bluish argyle socks. I get a lot of compliments every time I pair that up.

And good eye on the lacing, that’s a berluti knot that I use on all my dress shoes.

Thanks man.
I Googled shoe lace tying once and got lost for about a day! I remember doing that type lace on some jungle boots long ago. Wasn’t quite as classy as your grays! Lol
B
Ps: don’t Google fishing knots...trust me!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Steco Seal Velour
img_2196-jpg.217408
Super Stefan! I wish to know more about this Steco Seal Velour

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Daniele:
Today’s hat is impeccable, as always.
I bet a lot of folks around you wait to see what hat you are wearing just to see if they can pass the test of IDing the maker. I know i do. Sadly, i fail daily!!
Bowen
No Bowen, I'm sorry to tell you that more and more hat identifiers are in short supply.
They are older than me and a few years ago it was more likely to hear someone ask or say something about the hat, much less today that the elderly occasionally vanish :rolleyes:
I have an enthusiast, who was the owner of one of the best hat shops in Verona, he is curious and wants the hat in his hand, after identifying it.
If you can't guess the producer it's because I have a strong propensity for eclecticism;)

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Fabulous, Steve. They could work miracles with wool back then.

Nice, Michael. Good brim curve on that Resistol.

That one deserves three cheers! Hip hip hip...!
Thanks Stefan. This one has my favorite western style brim. If I can call it that.

A nice pair. Love that seal veloiur.

The unknown ones can be the best. That's a nice one. Michael.
Thanks Stefan. Since this one came to me without a sweat I resized it to a custom fit when I put a new one in. Turned into a nice hat.

Thanks,
Michael

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

nice detail on the knot.

Randy:
Sorry for the late response but in all honesty i had no idea how best to respond to your extremely flattering compliment.
Just to be mentioned in the same sentence as Alan and Eric’s hat collection is an honor reserved for few hat guys. When i think of other members, over the years and their collection i blush at any comparisons. Thank you kindly but you have a much higher opinion of my hats then i do. No mistake, i do have some good hats, many many here do, but at the end of the day i’m just a guy with some hats. The others mentioned and those of years past are/were experts in all things hats far beyond the understanding and comprehension of most of us. And thank God they are. Me/we are just privileged to be able to see and learn from their knowledge and generosity.

As far as “that day” when others have to deal with the overwhelming task of what to do with Pop’s stuff...i shudder to think. I’m afraid mine will have no choice but to put my endeavors in black plastic bags and hopefully go to Goodwill and not put them on the curb! I do need a plan to address this, thank you.
So...what’s your size?? Lol kinda
Be well. Bowen
we

Dittos on the first paragraph.

As far as the second, I'm going to throw them in a big pile and have FL members go for them in a Royal Rumble of hat grabbing.

Of course, this will happen before I keel over, so I can enjoy the spectacle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany