Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

hambone71

Practically Family
Fresh snow on the Owyhees, relatively new (to me) hat on my head. Resistol Stagecoach Timber Creek, circa 1981, in Granite Gray. First thing I did was 86 the woven-fiber hatband. (Shown just for the shudder-factor.) That got replaced with a contrasting-gray ribbon. Then I had to deal with the flat, square, looks-like-the-wall-of-a-building crown. Pinched the front some, added a mule kick, and deepened the side dents. Still a hell of a crown, but I'm hopeful that now at least it won't scare small children and horses. :D

View attachment 588940 View attachment 588941 View attachment 588942
I like how you do that voodoo that you do so well....on those western crowns.

Lee Silver Label “Panda Felt” Velour like felt in a “Whippet-esque” style.

IMG_20240209_164958640_PORTRAIT Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_164959711 Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_165920135_PORTRAIT Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_170043021_HDR Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_170103203_HDR Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_170010017_PORTRAIT Copy.jpeg
IMG_20240209_165236932_PORTRAIT Copy.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Fed IV with my samue (like a Jedi suit - very comfy) for a quick dash to the shops last night. View attachment 588943
Interesting combination - it works though!!

Do you see men wearing western hats over traditional Japanese fashion much? Was that even a thing back in the days of high fedora culture?

Certainly does bring to mind Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven connections (as well as this clip, since @hambone71 already opened the door on YouTube references today):

The Shoe

One Too Many
Interesting combination - it works though!!

Do you see men wearing western hats over traditional Japanese fashion much? Was that even a thing back in the days of high fedora culture?

Certainly does bring to mind Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven connections (as well as this clip, since @hambone71 already opened the door on YouTube references today):

Westerns, no. But fedoras and especially trilbies were, I believe, quite common with Japanese clothes. I think they look great with my Jedi suit, yukata, or haori hakama, or straw hats in summer with a jinbei (summer Jedi suit).
You can see @alanfgag rocking a Stetson with a happi here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.94860/post-2737818
Happi are usually cheap thin flimsy jackets worn for festivals. Alan’s is the nicest I’ve ever seen.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Westerns, no. But fedoras and especially trilbies were, I believe, quite common with Japanese clothes. I think they look great with my Jedi suit, yukata, or haori hakama, or straw hats in summer with a jinbei (summer Jedi suit).
You can see @alanfgag rocking a Stetson with a happi here: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.94860/post-2737818
Happi are usually cheap thin flimsy jackets worn for festivals. Alan’s is the nicest I’ve ever seen.
You and Alan both make the combination look great!

I did google "yukata and fedora" images and got back results that are quite familiar. You're right, the most familiar look to my eye is the yukata with trilby. It seems I have seen that look quite often in media.

DonR

One of the Regulars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred