Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Very nice whippet!

I could turn this one into a sort-of whippet clone and join in fashion forward Tuesday but maybe it’s just as appropriate as is - namely, incomplete (not fully arrived?).

Adam majestic quality. Possibly a 1940s hat. A favorite beater. No ribbon.

View attachment 552926
View attachment 552927
View attachment 552928
View attachment 552929
View attachment 552930

Original price: $6.00. Maybe too high for the 1940s?

Nice Majestic!
You should try your hand at sewing on a ribbon and bow, Nathan!
Use vintage cotton/rayon.

Last edited:
This one might go right along with today’s Not Quite A Whippet Wednesday

IMG_20231017_162307227_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg
IMG_20231017_162153033_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

The Mallory Ten Premiere - Light Tan
Pre Stetson Takeover Mallory
5 1/2 Crown Open (about 4 1/2 as shaped)
1 3/4 Brown Grosgrain Ribbon
2 3/4 brim with offset binding (3/16 top - 9/16 bottom)

The first of three hats that arrived together and while the other two may be 15s this Ten might be the real gem of the bunch. A pre 1946 Stetson takeover Mallory in a beautiful caramel colored felt finished in a velvety peach texture. The 1 3/4 brown grosgrain ribbon does have some age related fading… but it really adds to the character of the hat. The brim is a bit wider at 2 3/4 and is bound with an offset binding at 9/16 under and 3/16 over. This really lends the hat to brim shape I gave it with the front broke down but the edge curled up. Allows it to show off the wide binding without being too far turned up in the front. Another little tag line I haven’t seen before to go along with Mallory’s Youthful Smartness …. Hats with an American Tradition. This hat was originally sold at The May Company in Cleveland. It fits like a glove… man what a hat!

IMG_4904.jpeg
IMG_4905.jpeg

IMG_20231017_162630995_PORTRAIT_Original.jpeg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Nice Majestic!
You should try your hand at sewing on a ribbon and bow, Nathan!
Use vintage cotton/rayon.
Thanks Randall. I might do that, but probably not on the majestic. I prefer him ribbon free for some reason.

But I was thinking to try one out on this Mallory Dallas (I believe this ribbon is actually from a Fed IV).

IMG_8995.jpeg

IMG_8992.jpeg

IMG_8993.jpeg

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you Nathan. It may be a bit out of my normal comfort zone.. but it felt just fine knocking around in it a few days.
FWIW, you look great in that 3x, Joe.. It suits you well.

Besides, I didn’t even realize you had a comfort zone - your winning personality shines through at least with everything you show on here.

Last edited:

hambone71

Practically Family
Very nice whippet!

I could turn this one into a sort-of whippet clone and join in fashion forward Tuesday but maybe it’s just as appropriate as is - namely, incomplete (not fully arrived?).

Adam majestic quality. Possibly a 1940s hat. A favorite beater. No ribbon.

View attachment 552926
View attachment 552927
View attachment 552928
View attachment 552929
View attachment 552930

Original price: $6.00. Maybe too high for the 1940s?

View attachment 552932
Looks good, Nathan. Love that shade of brown.

FYI, you look great in that 3x, Joe.. It suits you well.

Besides, I didn’t even realize you had a comfort zone - your winning personality shines through at least with everything you show on here.

Bloody Nora, what a beaut! We’re certainly being treated to some very special Mallorys lately (not counting my little Dallas, which is a great beater but not to be confused with the real Scooby snacks).
Thank you Nathan.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
It is another gorgeous afternoon here in northern Alabama.

I just had a walkabout with the Gannon, but you’ve seen enough of that so here’s a lovely Dunlap instead.

Unreeded, could very well be a 40s hat. Too delicate for a walkabout, anyway.

Another one light gray in color.

View attachment 553084
View attachment 553085

View attachment 553086
View attachment 553087
View attachment 553088
I don't think I could get enough of seeing that Gannon, Nathan. However, that Dunlap sure is nice, too. I especially like the wide ribbon and bow treatment.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I don't think I could get enough of seeing that Gannon, Nathan. However, that Dunlap sure is nice, too. I especially like the wide ribbon and bow treatment.
Thanks Steve!

I’m honestly trying to the get the Gannon back in the box and save him for when I finally get back to work. I believe part of my healing process is subconscious and I hope the hat will act as some subtle motivation. So far, no luck putting him to bed, though - I love him too much!

Here he is one more time, just for the heck of it! :D

IMG_9015.jpeg

IMG_9016.jpeg

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

I just had a walkabout with the Gannon, but you’ve seen enough of that for now so here’s a lovely Dunlap instead.

View attachment 553084
View attachment 553085

View attachment 553086
View attachment 553087

View attachment 553089

Somehow I must’ve missed your Gannon!

But that’s a sweet light gray monochrome look there!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Steve!

I’m honestly trying to the get the Gannon back in the box and save him for when I finally get back to work. I believe part of my healing process is subconscious and I hope the hat will act as some subtle motivation. So far, no luck putting him to bed, though - I love him too much!

View attachment 553091
View attachment 553093

Ha! There it is, and he looks great! Rolled edge with a single row stitch. Love the bow too!

hambone71

Practically Family

I just had a walkabout with the Gannon, but you’ve seen enough of that for now so here’s a lovely Dunlap instead.

View attachment 553084
View attachment 553085

View attachment 553086
View attachment 553087

View attachment 553089
Man, you are reaching deep these last couple of days and whipping out some killer old hats! Very impressive!

hambone71

Practically Family
Thanks Steve!

View attachment 553091
View attachment 553093
I see more reddish undertones instead of green in direct sunlight. Wonderful take on a cattleman’s crease!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot