Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today ?

rogueclimber

Familiar Face
A stroll along the Venice Beach Grand Canal

IMG_0386.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

My Akubra Traveller

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Grazie, Daniele. The Nebbia plays misty for us, but it wll get another go for sure.
Prego Stefan. I plan to see it as soon as possible in a splendid version despite its name
Well, it is what it says on the tin: stylish perfection.
This hat is a small enigma among the many hats produced in Italy or imported into Italy.
I will make a comparison with the "Cabella" bowler and then I will look for the solution
What a great looking old hat… complete with much personality of its own.
Thanks Joe. The hat has a lot of character.
Your collection is increasingly powerful in terms of quantity and above all quality

RBH

Bartender
My newest (to me) rolled in yesterday, and will, of course, be my hat for today. It's another Champ Kasmir Finish, this one with the incredibly strange model name of Portly Lyric. I can't even BEGIN to figure out where they came up with that. It's got a 1 & 7/8" bound-edge brim, the crown's 4" at the front bash, and 4.25" at the side, and it sports a 1 & 7/8" ribbon. Color is shown as "Raven Grey." Not overly jazzed about the glass-and-metal hat pin; maybe it looked better back in the day. I'm considering replacing it, but haven't decided yet.

Between the shown original price, and the fact that the retail store that sold it burnt down in 1957, I'm estimating this one as mid-50s vintage.

View attachment 610523 View attachment 610524 View attachment 610525 View attachment 610526 View attachment 610527 View attachment 610528

champ-pl-4-jpg.610526

From the looks of the pin I would suggest the name came from a horse used in Dressage or Equestrian Show Jumping.
But a search of the name did not show a connection.....

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
champ-pl-4-jpg.610526

From the looks of the pin I would suggest the name came from a horse used in Dressage or Equestrian Show Jumping.
But a search of the name did not show a connection.....
Brilliant Rusty! I would not have thought to consider the pin on @VoodooSan ‘s hat.

It could be be a horse racing reference. There is a song “Stewball” or “Skewball” (I know a version from Simon and Garfunkel). The original version was based on a race horse named “Ms Portly” that loses to a skewball (apparently, an unimpressive horse). Ms. Portly was a gray mare and should have won.

Here is a lot of information:
https://mainlynorfolk.info/lloyd/songs/skewball.html

As for the color name, “Raven Gray” is an actual color.

Last edited:

VoodooSan

Practically Family
Brilliant Rusty! I would not have thought to consider the pin on @VoodooSan ‘s hat.

It could be be a horse racing reference. There is a song “Stewball” or “Skewball” (I know a version from Simon and Garfunkel). The original version was based on a race horse named “Ms Portly” that loses to a skewball (apparently, an unimpressive horse). Ms. Portly was a gray mare and should have won.

See? This is just ONE of the reasons I love this forum. SO much interesting info shared here!

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Before a family lunch I approached this Borsalino Nutria
Morello Nutria 1.jpg

I was so pissed at the seller that after I got the hat back into shape I didn't look at it again for days.
Already badly placed in the seller's photographs, it arrived completely crushed like a sandwich.
Morello Nutria 2 bis.jpg
Borsalino Nutria with the words "Nutria" written in large letters on the front of the sweatban together with two XX's and the deadly term "rollup".
Morello Nutria 4.jpg
Size 6 1/2 or 60 centimeters or 7 1/2 in the US, it was sold in Venezia in the prized and now defunct G. Colpo hat shop in San Marco.
Morello Nutria 3.jpg

The color is "Morello", one of the most ambiguous in the Borsalino range which tends towards dark blue or black depending on the light. The felt is excellent and after care it looks like a hat :cool:
Have a nice day and wear hats with proud

Prego Stefan. I plan to see it as soon as possible in a splendid version despite its name

This hat is a small enigma among the many hats produced in Italy or imported into Italy.
I will make a comparison with the "Cabella" bowler and then I will look for the solution

Thanks Joe. The hat has a lot of character.
Your collection is increasingly powerful in terms of quantity and above all quality
Thank you very much Daniele for the kind praise.

Well.. it seems. There you have it ;)

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
See? This is just ONE of the reasons I love this forum. SO much interesting info shared here!
Well.. it seems. There you have it ;)
Maybe … but I don’t see why any company would name a hat after some obscure song lyric. Particularly name it after the losing horse - and the company is called “Champ”? :rolleyes:

I gotta stop getting sucked into these hat mysteries.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred