Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat for NYC?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
I'm leaving for the Big Apple in due time, on one of those tour bus vacation trips. I'll only have room for one hat, and I need help deciding what one. I've narrowed it down to my Whippet, my new Beaver Brand that will be here soon, and my Cuenca Panama (formerly GWD's). They all have advantages and disadvantages, and I can't make up my mind. The Whippet is beautiful, and is probably the most versatile as far as color and style. The Beaver Brand is good because I won't fear if it's rained on. And the straw is best for the weather, since it'll be warmer out. But the Whippet, obviously, is valuable, and I'd fear it might be damaged or lost. The Beaver Brand and the Whippet are made of denser felts, and I'll most likely overheat in them. And the straw could very easily be irreparably cracked, if it's crushed or sat on. And if it rains, there's no place for me to put it. What do you recommend? I'm leaning most heavily towards the Beaver Brand, assuming it arrives at my door before I leave for the trip.

Thanks as always,

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fluteplayer07 said:
I'm leaving for the Big Apple in due time, on one of those tour bus vacation trips. I'll only have room for one hat, and I need help deciding what one. I've narrowed it down to my Whippet, my new Beaver Brand that will be here soon, and my Cuenca Panama (formerly GWD's). They all have advantages and disadvantages, and I can't make up my mind. The Whippet is beautiful, and is probably the most versatile as far as color and style. The Beaver Brand is good because I won't fear if it's rained on. And the straw is best for the weather, since it'll be warmer out. But the Whippet, obviously, is valuable, and I'd fear it might be damaged or lost. The Beaver Brand and the Whippet are made of denser felts, and I'll most likely overheat in them. And the straw could very easily be irreparably cracked, if it's crushed or sat on. And if it rains, there's no place for me to put it. What do you recommend? I'm leaning most heavily towards the Beaver Brand, assuming it arrives at my door before I leave for the trip.

Thanks as always,
If it's after Memorial Day, then definitely the Panama.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-NshzYK9y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w-NshzYK9y0&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

:D

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
That's old hat. NYC is one of the safer cities to live in.

:arated: I've walked through central park after midnight wearing a tux after the opera and no one stole my homburg.[huh]

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Having spent considerable time in "tourist mode" in NYC in June - Panama! You will curse bringing felt with you. You'll hate it, and might destroy the thing yourself.

Also, get a hat rain cover, if you can, or a small umbrella. If it worries you, stop by a NYC hat shop and pick up a cheap straw... or hat cover.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
skyvue said:
New York is the safest big city in the country -- safer than plenty of medium-sized towns, too.

At least one can be decently assured that the predators lurking in the trees about Central Park are the two legged variety - or maybe not. [huh]

I watch the trees for the four legged variety around here.

Mostly uncommon but we don't like to be surprised. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The two legged predators in New York tend to congregate around Wall Street. Actually I once saw a huge snapping turtle walking across the lawn in Central Park after a big thunder storm. And there are possums and raccoons galore in the outer boroughs. But not so many four legged predators, I'll admit.
The one thing I'd be concerned with in New York might be falling debris from constructions sites, but not very.
To get back on topic, if it's after the middle of June, I'd say Panama, definitely. And you'll be especially glad of it when you're on a 100 plus degree subway platform on a 90 degree day in the city. We do know how to sweat in New York in the summer.

carldelo

One Too Many
Yep, straw + umbrella. I haven't worn a felt hat for weeks. Actually, this time of year is quite good for a poly-straw if you have one, as it will allow you to sing in the rain, rather than scurry for cover to protect a hat. An Akubra Capricorn is just the ticket, mine gets many compliments in the city.

And for those of you who think NYC is a muggers paradise - your age is showing, the 20th century is long gone...

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
The two legged predators in New York tend to congregate around Wall Street.
They've been trying to get rid of a bad one around City Hall.

Today is raining but the weather is warming up. The panama is a good idea. If the weather turns bad you can easily pick up a cheap umbrealla just about anywhere.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
Yep, straw + umbrella. I haven't worn a felt hat for weeks. ... An Akubra Capricorn is just the ticket, mine gets many compliments in the city.

I'm still wearing felt, but not for much longer.

Sunbody hats handle the rain just fine, and they're very affordable. Just throwing another option out there.

How are you squeezing into a Capricorn? I thought you were large-headed like me.

carldelo

One Too Many
skyvue said:
I'm still wearing felt, but not for much longer.

Sunbody hats handle the rain just fine, and they're very affordable. Just throwing another option out there.

How are you squeezing into a Capricorn? I thought you were large-headed like me.

I'm the one who Sam at Everything Australian convinced Akubra to make a size 62 Capricorn for. Now it's available on the website, but as a custom order with 3 month lead time. He had originally told me it would be a cloth sweatband hat, but mine came with the standard leatherette. I'm a true 7-3/4, the hat is a tiny bit loose on me. Didn't we talk about this once - aren't you a LO? Maybe we could arrange to meet and you could try it on sometime. It's a very useful hat to have, the gray has a nice blue undertone to it, and the matching gray brim binding is nice. I don't really care for the contrasting brown binding on the tan hat.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
If the weather turns bad you can easily pick up a cheap umbrealla just about anywhere.

I can attest to the truthfulness of this statement....I was there a few weekends back and indeed when it suddenly rained....umbrellas popped up all over the city to be purchased.

Of course I was too stubborn to do so....but they were there for the dollar, or 15...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick