Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hatco Needs - 3D Felting Printer

DJH

I'll Lock Up
This is just what Matt Deckard needs to introduce at Hatco - imagine; furry creatures going in, felt hats coming out. Just dial in the dimensions and the block # and your 3D printer will do the rest :)

http://3dprint.com/2861/3d-felting-printer/

More seriously, it is very interesting just quickly 3D printing has developed over the last few years.

fedoracentric

Banned
This "3D printing" business really is a pipe dream.

I doubt there ever be a 3D printing process that will be able to make labor intensive, specialized item.

Everyone, for instance, is all worried that they will be able to make working guns. While they have been able to create one-shot things, or guns that work for a short time, the 3D printing process will never be able to make tempered metals by just "printing" them.

Same with hat felt.

The process of making felt is not relegated only to the assembly of the felt. Felt is also about pouncing, pressing, wetting, spinning, allowing the process of the hairs to lock together, etc. etc.

Now, they may be able to create a replacement felt. But they will never be able to make a fur felt hat in the classic mode by "printing" it.

fedoracentric

Banned
I should say that the only thing that will make my statements above incorrect is if they figure out how to create nanotube construction. Now that might be "printable." And if that ever happens, all bets are off because that will be a work around for metallurgy and other scientific manufacturing truths. Nanotubes will be a whole new world if they ever figure it out.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ed, that is generally true, but things are changing.

One of our customers, BAE Systems, is already 3D printing aviation components out of durable synthetics like polyimides (in use with the RAF and civilian planes) and they have systems in development for using this technology to produce parts out of titanium and other metals.

Also, a lot of medical device companies are using 3D printing for a wide range of products, including prosthetic limbs.

Felt hats? Nope :) Cool stuff though

Huertecilla

Banned
The ability to produce the plastic straw 'milans' must be pretty much there, if not an economically viable option yet.

The viability of 3D printing lies in the from óne acticle linear production costs.

It is not an alternative for stamping a gazillion mouldings at the lowest possible unit price. It is taking the production out of the factory to the equivalent of a printing shop.
It is already working in Madrid and Barcelona with well over 30.000 designs feely available on line and users/designers putting improvents back in open source.

Want some réally special sunglass frames? Get the closest design, shuffle the bits, have it printed and put the source of your shuffled design back. The latter is the price of the free use of the former.

Plastic, aluminium even concrete ´extrusion´ blocks to build a house for 3K Euros! is already possible. Getting permissions for the house is the only problem; the sound architecture is there FOR FREE!

I can totally see that felt printing work. Mind, it is not high end vintage felt so not lead to any hat of that standard but hey, it´s a start. I will show the link to the retired hat manufacturer I met past sunday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner