Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what if you just don't suit vintage make up?

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
book_lover said:
thanks girls

mysterygal I do think browns and natural colours just suit me better than charcoals. I have an idea though - there are a lot of browny-taupey colours (which are sort of half brown half grey) I might see how I look in something like that....

ShrinkingViolet I didn't see whether you were in the UK or not (and can't look now I'm in the reply box........) but I'm wondering if you mean something a little bit like "Benetint" which is a plummy coloured liquid which you dab on the apples of your cheeks and rub in..... Benefit do lots of vintage style make up (or at least, it's packaged up that way lol) so maybe I should give them a try. They aren't cheap but there stuff apparently lasts a long time.

Cheers!

Another good blush option at least in my opinion, is the crimson blush by Besame. Its very red in the tin, but I actually use very little of it and I put it on before powder, so that the powder further mutes it.

Honey Doll

Practically Family
Green eyes

I have green eyes with an interior ring of yellow. I CANNOT wear grey eyeshadow. I think green eyes look much prettier in browns and creams. I wear MAC brulee (cream) with bark (brown) or I've been wearing the Scarlet collection that was recently released by hmmm.... loreal I think.

for cheeks, I recently picked up MAC peony cream blush and love it! It looks very bright in the compact, but sheers nicely-- just be sparing.

Honey Doll

book_lover

Familiar Face
thanks girls

honey doll your eyes sound very like mine........

Wonder if the shades you're all suggesting are also available in the UK?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I thought so too!

book_lover said:
thanks girls

honey doll your eyes sound very like mine........

Wonder if the shades you're all suggesting are also available in the UK?

I know you can get MAC online, they also have live chat with a makeup artist which is pretty helpful thru their site. I had an entire makeup lesson thru live chat once. I know the Loreal products were a bit difficult to get.

here's the link to MAC's UK site

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/home.tmpl?ngextredir=1

Honey Doll

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
book_lover said:
ShrinkingViolet I didn't see whether you were in the UK or not (and can't look now I'm in the reply box........) but I'm wondering if you mean something a little bit like "Benetint" which is a plummy coloured liquid which you dab on the apples of your cheeks and rub in..... Benefit do lots of vintage style make up (or at least, it's packaged up that way lol) so maybe I should give them a try. They aren't cheap but there stuff apparently lasts a long time. Cheers!

Hi Booklover. I haven't tried any of the Benefit products as they're not available in shops up here - but I suppose any kind of blush that's pink or reddish and doesn't have shimmer in it and isn't applied in a long stripe up towards the temples would work! :)
I'm by no means a make-up expert, I still feel a bit self-conscious about wearing red lipstick!

katiemakeup

Practically Family
book_lover said:
I wore smokey grey eyes and red lips at the weekend - looking back at the pictures it did me NO favours at all. Not so lucky to be able to wear any colours, like some can. My eyes are really yellowy green (hazel but very piercing with it - am not making them sound nice at all am I, lol) and the colours just clashed terribly (there are pics as proof in my hair/dress thread).

So is anyone else in the same boat? I'm going to avoid red lips from now on (I can do plummy shades though). Also I am going to try and find out what eye colours I should stick with. Anyone know a source of info on this?

cheers!

Hi! I think that the pictures/references we see from the media of that time it seems that everyone is wearing dramatic makeup... when I'm sure that's not the case. If you feel uncomfortable in it, don't do it! Just stick with a few things. There was always clean glowy skin, mascara and a soft blush to the apple of the cheek, which is flattering on anyone. LIke you said, berries are good for you- also, if you want to try red lips, try it in a glaze or balm that way the color is not too saturated.

As far as nighttime- with the beautiful color of your eyes, use a golden bronze color- very sheer, but all over your eyelid & bottom lash- that will give you a "smokey" look of that time period without the "darkness"... Sometimes if you just capture the essence & spirit of the times, you'll be good to go!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner