Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what in the word is going on here?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
There's one born every minute....

"A fool and his money are soon parted".

It is a $50 novelty hat. No provenance and no claims other than it says Michael Jackson on the sweatband. Cheap costume knock off.

fenris

One of the Regulars
The seller's name is michaeljacksonjoseph... Maybe that's really his name? If so he can't be sued if it doesn't turn out to be the King of Pop's actual fedora... hehehe... he can always say he was selling his own hat - which is a Michael Jackson hat. lol

cptjeff

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
It even says "unused". Maybe some sort of scam? There are bunches of these for sale all the time. Very interesting to see how it ends.

Not quite a scam. They've popped up before, and apparently Jackson had bunches made by dorfman? that he would toss to the crowd at shows. They're authentic memorabilia, even if not great hats.

On another note, anyone want to put in a group order for a few of those things with me? They can't cost more than $20 wholesale...

Mr E Train

One Too Many
fenris said:
The seller's name is michaeljacksonjoseph... Maybe that's really his name? If so he can't be sued if it doesn't turn out to be the King of Pop's actual fedora... hehehe... he can always say he was selling his own hat - which is a Michael Jackson hat. lol

He's cagey enough to never claim that the hat was owned by Michael Jackson or that it's a licensed Michael Jackson product. It just has the name (and not necessarily the Michael Jackson's name--it could be any Michael Jackson, theoretically), and I don't believe you can copyright a proper name. I just can't believe that people are willing to pay that much for them. My hope is that these bids are being driven up by nuisance bidders who have no intention of paying if they win. The seller must have had some non-payments, thus the very loud and bold warning about serious bidders only.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Could be some shills in there too.

+2.
a97111_g076_5-doberman.jpg

Midwest Boater

One of the Regulars
my guess was the guy is bidding it up himself with another account , and was just stuck selling the same hat over and over because he wont pay himself. if anyone is falling for this it really is sad...in a funny way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80