Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is going on with this site???

Edward

Bartender
Full circle? Only as far as the late 70's. Who can forget.............Never Mind the B*ll*cks, Here's the Sex Pistols?
If you want publicity, prime time television publicity, swear! There's actually a YouTube clip of that, it gained them notoriety, I thought better of it than to post it here. Likewise the poster with that headline, it's on Wiki if you want to see it.

The promo material for that album saw the Virgin Megastore - in Nottingham, if memory serves - prosecuted. The defence, led by Geoffrey Robertson, established that it's a legitimate word with a specific meaning - a 'bollock' is a small ball, or a small stone, in Anglo-Saxon - and was therefore not contrary to the obscure law on which it was prosecuted. History records the magistrate as saying "I very reluctantly find you not guilty."

The really good line, though, was, as Geoffrey tells the story, from Lydon, who - on hearing the testimony of the witness who confirmed the word's legitimacy - slipped Robertson a note that simply said "Don't worry - if we lose we'll just change the title to 'Never Mind The Stones'."

Like Brian Jones a decade earlier, death immortalised Simon Ritchie, (Sid Vicious.) both of whom were dark, decadent and nihilistic.

Wasn't it Buddy Holly who said "death is a career move"?

Sid was an interesting character. If his friends are to be believed, very much an innocent who got sucked into something terrible re the drugs, though Lydon has also pointed out that a big part of the problem was his fixation with authenticity and inability to comprehend the notion of a stage perception. For better - or, more to the pint, worse - he committed fully to the Sid Vicious persona and all that entailed.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
From a similar thread in the Outerwear section:
TFLI.PNG

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/whats-going-on-with-the-fl-site.112157/post-3040262

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
That is definitely the behavior it is exhibiting. Bottlenecks like these I‘ve usually seen for a few different reasons. Lousy bandwidth at the data center to begin with. Server failing and needs migration to newer server. Host throttling... where the host intentionally throttles the traffic to limit bandwidth usage. along with a few other variations.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Slow for me. Not as slow as it has been, but I can get up, get a drink of water, and warm up last night’s leftovers and the page is still loading. Crazy that this is an improvement. There are sporadic times when it runs normally, but those are short lived.
Uttering that "F" profanity, mostly in frustration, Tina asked: "What's wrong?" "The Fedora Lounge," I replied, "it's down most of the time, and even when it's up, it's shaky as hell and we all know it's going to go down again soon." "A bit like you then, dear," she said, then added: "You did upgrade from dial-up, didn't you?" The cheek of her, I know that I am getting old but........

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
It's 5:23 this a.m., (est). The site is running normal. I'll give it a check later on today to see if it follows the same pattern of fast in the early morning hours and slowing down as the day wears on.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This is what I got a couple of minutes ago, (@ 7:29 est). The site is beginning to slow down.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231007-072941.png
    Screenshot_20231007-072941.png
    183.9 KB · Views: 31

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic