Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about horsehide?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
As to the original, original question:

I'm every bit as curious now after receiving and living with my FQHH jacket as I was before when I created this thread. I'll have to go back and re-read through the early part of this thread to find some of the more relevant answers. In the end, it seems our answers are as different from one another as we are as individuals.

:cool:

les_garten

One of the Regulars
As to the original, original question:

I'm every bit as curious now after receiving and living with my FQHH jacket as I was before when I created this thread. I'll have to go back and re-read through the early part of this thread to find some of the more relevant answers. In the end, it seems our answers are as different from one another as we are as individuals.

It's pretty clear really...

We want to wear Horses, don't want to eat them.

Horses helped tame the west, horses were a Cowboys best friend when he was out on the prairie. Horses saved the Cowboys from the Indians. Horses tried to save the Indians from the Cowboys. There is a mystique to the Horse. We talk to our Horses. Horses talk back to us. Horses do tricks, and Horses Love us! Few of us want to talk to our cows. We like to eat them, and wear them, but no Mystique to them. I don't think Cows Loves us, and the only trick I know that they do is that gore the Matador up the keester trick. Which is a pretty Good Trick, but it ain't Love.

We want Horsehide because we want the Jacket that can develop that 1000 yard stare. The Jacket that says Been there, done that, and got the scars to prove it.

If you look at old Langlitz Columbia or Buco Jackets, the ones with the kewl grain are Horse for the "most" part. Horse seems to get the big creases and little creases right.

At least this is the "idea" that sells the Jacket. Horse is relatively rare, rarity is always a desirable trait in just about everything, unless it's a girlfriend with 3 eyes and Lop ears!

There's a certain snob appeal or bragging right that goes with Horsehide. Cowhide is very pedestrian, you can buy it in a Mall after all.

But mainly when you peruse Rin Tanaka's books and see those old Horse Jackets with that "Look", you want some Horsehide on your back, PETA be damned!

Last edited:
The only reason I prefer horse in a utility jacket or more specifically Aero/Horween regular FQHH is for the charactor it for sure developes as it ages. Quite unique and excellant for streetwear..for me.
When I ride the Harley I prefer something more relaxed and comfortable for the riding position on long rides which is usually lighter weight steer or HH in a MC jacket.
HD

ForestForTheTrees

One of the Regulars
The only reason I prefer horse in a utility jacket or more specifically Aero/Horween regular FQHH is for the charactor it for sure developes as it ages. Quite unique and excellant for streetwear..for me.

This train of thought was more in line with my expectations a while back. My two jackets certainly look worlds apart from one another: one horsehide and one steerhide, both Horween CXL. However after the the incident last year where it turned out that many folks couldn't tell the difference between horsehide and steerhide, I began to question this logic or assumption on my part. Aside from the weight of the hide, I'm not really sure what to think any more. Still it fascinates me due to the reputation that horsehide has developed over the years.

This train of thought was more in line with my expectations a while back. My two jackets certainly look worlds apart from one another: one horsehide and one steerhide, both Horween CXL. However after the the incident last year where it turned out that many folks couldn't tell the difference between horsehide and steerhide, I began to question this logic or assumption on my part. Aside from the weight of the hide, I'm not really sure what to think any more. Still it fascinates me due to the reputation that horsehide has developed over the years.

Well my first Aero(2001 Highwayman) is definately Horween's FQHH. My newer Boolegger and Stuart are labeled as such. They are breaking in with the same charactoristics as my Highwayman. The two Aero HBs labeled 'steer' that I also own have quite different graining and appearance. If it would turn out that one of my newer HH Aeros is really steer..so what! If it's breaking in just like my Aero Horween FQHH jackets..then..makes absolutely no difference to me. If somehow the two different hides now more recently resemble each other that much..so be it! That is the look I prefer..whatever the hide.
HD

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
It's pretty clear really...

We want to wear Horses, don't want to eat them.

I doubt you have a choice. Them pesky horses get everywhere and are the meat of er...default.

article-2275565-176E089F000005DC-75.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I'd eat horse. Why not? I wear horse.

My parents encountered a good bit of steak à cheval when doing France on $5 a day in the 60s. They said it was delicious, tho a touch more gamey than beef. More towards venison.

Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
This stuff is fascinating. Other than it feeling softer out of the box, I can't quite put my finger on why I prefer the steer, considering how so many prefer horse. Maybe it's the matter finish of the Chromexcel compared to the horse? Really great thread resurrected from the dead.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
As for Chimps! An African guy at my works once had a taste for 'Bush meat', he told me it's ok but hard to get over here in the UK. I think he meant illegal haha.

Yes, Bushmeat is illegal in the UK. There was a spate of prosecutions in London about a decade ago - all involving people round Brixton, as I recall. I think one or two of them were selling it labelled as something more conventional, while others were selling it underground, for what it was. I'm sure sentimentality enters into it, though really I suspect regualtion is more to do with elf and safety considerations. Specifically, because there's no significant market for chimp and such here, there's just not the industry to ensure it's properly reared, slaughtered and transported.

I'd eat horse. Why not? I wear horse.

My parents encountered a good bit of steak à cheval when doing France on $5 a day in the 60s. They said it was delicious, tho a touch more gamey than beef. More towards venison.

I haven't consciously eaten horse, but it's highly likely I've had it in Beijing. I've eaten donkey there on a number of occasions - and no, it doesn't taste like ass. Very similar to roast beef, actually, though with a softer, less fibrous texture. for one of the perceived less "noble" beasts, donkey tastes very nice. I'd be open to trying it for a jacket hide...

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I haven't consciously eaten horse, but it's highly likely I've had it in Beijing. I've eaten donkey there on a number of occasions -
and no, it doesn't taste like ass...

Hong Kong vendors offered monkey brain fried like a hamburger; supposedly an aphrodesiac.
...but there's nothing like a good piece of ass. ;)

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Would appear 'Bush Meat' consumption is closely connected with the Ebola virus infecting humans, as for horse meat!!!...well it looks like many of us Brits have been potentially eating it without realizing.....caused quite a scandal!...Love the horse on my Roughwear A2.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Having been in this game a bit now, my current fave hide is steer. It's soft right out the box, drapes well and while mid-weight HH is okay... heavy FQHH has kinda lost its appeal to me. Wearing my GoodWear Russet DuBow today and its liveable. I'd like to get a premium Goat in my size but I ain't got one yet.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy