Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about horsehide?

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
I just can't resist jumping in here

If you already have several leather jackets then why buy another one in FQHH?

For me a FQHH jacket is not such a big deal to 'break'. Just wet the collar and then wear it every day for a few hours for about a month. Job done.

If you don't have time to do that then you are just gonna lumber yourself with an uncomfortable, unsightly and expensive burden

My original point was that I wasn't going to buy another HH jacket, and was going to stick to steer in future. I like HH but for me and my lifestyle it makes no sense having too many of them when they take so long to break in; and like I said above I can't wear them every day to do it.

rocketeer.

Well obviously I have looked at their site since I've bought stuff from them for years.[huh]

I've never seen anyone looking cool in a brand new HH jacket though. That's why people kick em around for a bit first.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Oh dear oh dear! I should have got this along time ago but trying to be a little light hearted about things this serious does not work on the Fedora Lounge.
I bought a brand new FQHH Highwayman years ago, rather than go around walking about with a soggy neck(wetting the collar) I just wore my jacket and not long after I went to work in it and someone said to me "Thats the best looking leather jacket I have ever seen". Same with a black one I bought 6 years back. Nicely worn in now.
As to buying stuff from Aero, well I have been a customer since 1981 and also have a steer Barnstormer which I went to France on a booze cruise and got a very favourable comment in a French gentlemans store, and I had only had it a week.
At a Rock n Roll weekender, I once witnessed a guy towing a new bike jacket behind his motorcycle to give it that worn in look, in the end it looked like a jacket that had been towed behind a motorcycle, without the kudos of having come off the bike at 80 and survived. A couple of years later a similar incident involving a brand new Schott Perfecto. The jacket owner had cars run over it to give it a bit of patina. One cheeky fellow in a 1957 Ford Fairlane decided to wheelspin over said jacket. Result? A new looking jacket that looked like it had been run over by a car, complete with one arm three quarters detatched:eusa_clap
So, when you see me in my un broken in horsey Teamster please point and laugh, I probably wont give a sh*t as in a few short weeks I know I will look super cool. Probably so cool I would wish I had the sheerling lining option.
Johnny Tee

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm just short of a month into breaking my LHB, and it's coming on a treat all ready. The arms are nice and flexible and have started taking on lovely subtle copper tone under the brown, while the shoulders have nice graded tone. The body is still slightly stiff, but it doesn't worry me, because the jacket looks great any way. Honestly, part of me wanted to stay the same colour and lustre when I put it on, and I will admit that I did quail slightly when I got the first few scratches and bumps, but they soon fade into the overall patina. As far as other people are concerned, my office have all admired the jacket - I caught one of them smelling it today! - and I've never felt as if I looked as if I'm wearing a suitcase or whatever. I'll just keep wearing it, day in, day out, whenever possible, and there's half of winter and the whole of spring to go (and let's not forget a Scottish summer!) so plenty of time to get it looking nice and flexible,

wdw

One Too Many
when you see me in my un broken in horsey Teamster

The Teamster seems to be picking up in popularity, which is good as it's my favourite. Will we be seeing pics? No two seem to look the same on people, strangely.

let's not forget a Scottish summer!

I'm sure you're not knocking our Scottish summers any more. Since I got my first Aero in May, almost literally the only days I've not worn one were during my two week summer hol in the Med (and Christmas Day).

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
:D
Oh dear oh dear! I should have got this along time ago but trying to be a little light hearted about things this serious does not work on the Fedora Lounge.
I bought a brand new FQHH Highwayman years ago, rather than go around walking about with a soggy neck(wetting the collar) I just wore my jacket and not long after I went to work in it and someone said to me "Thats the best looking leather jacket I have ever seen". Same with a black one I bought 6 years back. Nicely worn in now.
As to buying stuff from Aero, well I have been a customer since 1981 and also have a steer Barnstormer which I went to France on a booze cruise and got a very favourable comment in a French gentlemans store, and I had only had it a week.
At a Rock n Roll weekender, I once witnessed a guy towing a new bike jacket behind his motorcycle to give it that worn in look, in the end it looked like a jacket that had been towed behind a motorcycle, without the kudos of having come off the bike at 80 and survived. A couple of years later a similar incident involving a brand new Schott Perfecto. The jacket owner had cars run over it to give it a bit of patina. One cheeky fellow in a 1957 Ford Fairlane decided to wheelspin over said jacket. Result? A new looking jacket that looked like it had been run over by a car, complete with one arm three quarters detatched:eusa_clap
So, when you see me in my un broken in horsey Teamster please point and laugh, I probably wont give a sh*t as in a few short weeks I know I will look super cool. Probably so cool I would wish I had the sheerling lining option.
Johnny Tee

Seem to have touched a nerve there....:D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
sure you're not knocking our Scottish summers any more. Since I got my first Aero in May, almost literally the only days I've not worn one were during my two week summer hol in the Med (and Christmas Day).

After last year, I fear that we no longer have summer, just a longer spring and an early autumn... I'm hoping for maybe a lighter hide Aero just in case we actually get a few days of sun. And of course then there's the Irvin (or perhaps a Thunder Bay) I've penciled in for those really cold days. I have problem. I know. Help.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
The Teamster seems to be picking up in popularity, which is good as it's my favourite. Will we be seeing pics? No two seem to look the same on people, strangely.
Yes I'll probably stick a few on here someday, gotta think of a good prop for the pics though.
:D

Seem to have touched a nerve there....:D
Not really, just some people take wearing a leather jacket a bit more seriously than I do.
At the moment I am breaking in my new Suzuki T shirt as I sit here writing before work:cool:

I'm just short of a month into breaking my LHB, and it's coming on a treat all ready. The arms are nice and flexible and have started taking on lovely subtle copper tone under the brown, while the shoulders have nice graded tone. The body is still slightly stiff, but it doesn't worry me, because the jacket looks great any way. Honestly, part of me wanted to stay the same colour and lustre when I put it on, and I will admit that I did quail slightly when I got the first few scratches and bumps, but they soon fade into the overall patina. As far as other people are concerned, my office have all admired the jacket - I caught one of them smelling it today! - and I've never felt as if I looked as if I'm wearing a suitcase or whatever. I'll just keep wearing it, day in, day out, whenever possible, and there's half of winter and the whole of spring to go (and let's not forget a Scottish summer!) so plenty of time to get it looking nice and flexible,
:cool: Super cool:cool:

tommygun

New in Town
Yes I agree. But they were wearing the jackets as part of their uniform so did wear them all the time. I don't want to wear the same jacket every day like I did when young. Of course people do wear them around the house to break them in, we've all done it; and it isn't exactly comfortable trying to sit on a sofa with a new FQHH Barnstormer on that is still standing up when you're sitting down...
Yes we have!!! good point

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I stick my HH jacket on, jump in the car and turn the seat heating up. It helps soften the leather nicely by the time I get out, and it retains the heat too, so it stays toasty!

You do look like a pillock walking around in a brand new stiff HH coat that looks as if it's taking you for a walk though.

Surely the only person who looks a pillock is the person in a badly fitting jacket, whether worn in or brand new. Typically these are too large and/or too long. The phenotype is independent of hide variety and often involves strutting or - more and more frequent these days - limping.

Last edited:

smoz

One of the Regulars
After last year, I fear that we no longer have summer, just a longer spring and an early autumn... I'm hoping for maybe a lighter hide Aero just in case we actually get a few days of sun. And of course then there's the Irvin (or perhaps a Thunder Bay) I've penciled in for those really cold days. I have problem. I know. Help.

Billy Connolly said that there are two seasons in Scotland: June and winter.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't be surprised if mechanically separated meat slurry from eastern Europe and South America contains horse. This finds it's way into cheap pasties etc. here.

I seem to remember my parents paying the knackers man for removal for my old childhood pony
cry-anim.gif
cry-anim.gif
cry-anim.gif

As I said, cheap products for human consumption can contain unlabelled horse...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukn...f-burgers-found-to-contain-29-horse-meat.html

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Here is a bit of interesting information regarding horsehide.
http://www.ehow.com/about_5587595_do-leather-jackets-out-horsehide_.html

Cowhide vs. Horsehide
Horsehide jackets are fairly high-maintenance; they must be oiled or waxed about once a month, which is another reason the majority of leather jackets seen in stores across America are cowhide.

Since it's on the internet, it must be true! ;) :D

But it also says :

"Horsehide jackets tend to be more durable than cowhide but are much harder to break in. Through the tanning process, horsehide takes on a greater thickness than cowhide and can take longer to mold to your body. The leather's thickness protects the body better than cowhide does, which is why so many motorcycle riders choose horsehide instead of cowhide leather."

How can it be more durable but high maintenance ? I wonder? And only in America.... :confused:

thor

Call Me a Cab
But it also says :

"Horsehide jackets tend to be more durable than cowhide but are much harder to break in. Through the tanning process, horsehide takes on a greater thickness than cowhide and can take longer to mold to your body. The leather's thickness protects the body better than cowhide does, which is why so many motorcycle riders choose horsehide instead of cowhide leather."

How can it be more durable but high maintenance ? I wonder? And only in America.... :confused:

"More durable but high maintenance"....sounds a lot like marriage!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
But it also says :

As far as abrasion resistance goes I believe(but I may be wrong as I cant recall where I read this), that Goat skin is better than Horse for motorcycle leathers but the best on the abrasion resistance scale is Kangaroo hide. Many of what non motorcyclists like to call 'Power Ranger' type race suits are made from good old Skippy due to the said durability but also lightness. Horse is great for style and wears extremely well but is very heavy. You will never see a TT rider wearing a 1piece FQHorse race suit.
Johnny Tee

strokes1251

Practically Family
I didnt want to start a new thread so I looked up this one and was just wandering is "Poney skin" horsehide? I did not spell it wrong just see the pic. The jacket is not mine but I have a similar one from the same maker and was just curious, hopefully someone can answer this thanks in advance :D The picture was taken off a thread on here but the person hasn't used his profile inf forever. :) http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?39139-The-dirty-rotten-ones-!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v602/charlie48horlogerie/DSCN7646.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy