Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is it about quality leather jackets...?

In all honesty this is a question I've asked myself repeatedly and I've never come up with a good answer. I can get a jacket, it's perfect and I immediately want another. Why? Sure there's little things I'll pick apart that most would consider ridiculous. Too loose here, too tight there etc.
I've honestly come to the conclusion that it's not the end product I truly love but rather the quest. No matter how well it turns out or how poorly, I'm obsessed with the quest. And these objects give you so many opportunities to inject your own vision into them. That's the thrill. After it's complete and you're wearing it...you roll over and go to sleep. Then the urge to do it again hits. It's the numbers for sizing game (can I get a "better" fit), the design elements and the myriad of options that keep me coming back. I keep swearing it off and then repeating the process.
It's the adrenaline rush of prospecting for me. I've found that the jacket itself is almost always somewhat anticlimactic, which is sick and sad. I've said too much:oops:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In all honesty this is a question I've asked myself repeatedly and I've never come up with a good answer. I can get a jacket, it's perfect and I immediately want another. Why? Sure there's little things I'll pick apart that most would consider ridiculous. Too loose here, too tight there etc.
I've honestly come to the conclusion that it's not the end product I truly love but rather the quest. No matter how well it turns out or how poorly, I'm obsessed with the quest. And these objects give you so many opportunities to inject your own vision into them. That's the thrill. After it's complete and you're wearing it...you roll over and go to sleep. Then the urge to do it again hits. It's the numbers for sizing game (can I get a "better" fit), the design elements and the myriad of options that keep me coming back. I keep swearing it off and then repeating the process.
It's the adrenaline rush of prospecting for me. I've found that the jacket itself is almost always somewhat anticlimactic, which is sick and sad. I've said too much:oops:
You articulated it perfectly Ton. You didn't say too much, you said it all!

Superfluous

celebrity-pictures-cookie-monster-addiction-never.jpg

Justhandguns

Practically Family

That sounds like sex to me...........

I think most of us here have some sort of buying addictions. If it is not jacket, it may be something else.

Edward

Bartender
Certianly, survival instincts would have come first. It's entirely plausible, of course, that there would have been early humans who ate little or no meat, givne what was available, especially in the hunter-gatherer phase prior to the domestication of livestock.

tropicalbob

That sounds like sex to me...........

I think most of us here have some sort of buying addictions. If it is not jacket, it may be something else.
I'm beginning to realize this is true. Right now I've got two pairs of shoes, a jacket (sport), jeans and a hat on the way. Does this mean there's a whole in my existence I'm trying to fill? Probably, but it's nice to ive in a state of expectation. And a shirt.

This poses in my mind a serious question.
Did vegetarians or vegans in particular, exist amongst early Humans? ⌛
Likely only when there were no options. People had to work hard and I'd reckon meat was the desired meal of just about anyone who could get it...not only that, it provided materials for tools, clothing, etc.

technovox

One Too Many
Yes, sadly I’ve gone through my share of collecting addictions. And while leather jackets are just the latest passion for me, at least there are a few advantages over other addictions. Leather jackets are far more easier to store and cheaper to maintain and procure than say…Depression era Pick-ups, Italian futurist furniture, cigarette boats, lethal jungle pets, or Cold War Soviet weaponry, etc. Could be worse, right?

Maybe I’m kidding myself, but I tend to view some of the rarer motorcycle jacket examples as beautiful works of art. A few examples I’ve owned I’ve even been tempted to mount and hang on the wall like a piece of Samurai armor, or an exotic Kimono. But unlike works of art, I like that leather jackets can be worn, enjoyed, used, and abused and they just look all the better for it.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Yes, sadly I’ve gone through my share of collecting addictions. And while leather jackets are just the latest passion for me, at least there are a few advantages over other addictions. Leather jackets are far more easier to store and cheaper to maintain and procure than say…Depression era Pick-ups, Italian futurist furniture, cigarette boats, lethal jungle pets, or Cold War Soviet weaponry, etc. Could be worse, right?

Maybe I’m kidding myself, but I tend to view some of the rarer motorcycle jacket examples as beautiful works of art. A few examples I’ve owned I’ve even been tempted to mount and hang on the wall like a piece of Samurai armor, or an exotic Kimono. But unlike works of art, I like that leather jackets can be worn, enjoyed, used, and abused and they just look all the better for it.

I have also gone through, sort of collecting phases, mainly small stuff, easily storable such as old Hot Rod magazines and model cars from the 60s, but leather jackets have been a 35 year + thing. The vast majority of things I collect can be used despite their rarity, the models can be built and the magazines can be read, the jackets of course can be worn.
Unlike some here, being a fat size 44 means an original 38 A2 has never had a place in my 'collection', only as a showpiece till it is sold, hopefully at a profit. Should something not be practical such as a Sidcot suit, off it goes to the sale rail but I probably would not buy that anyway, though I do have one vintage motorcycle jacket that is past it and does not fit but used to display a small selection of motorcycle and other pin badges. As for my 'Lucky 7 Seven A2, hopefully I will loose enough weight to get into it properly again :)
Love my civvi jackets, nearly all Aero, all fit. Don't need anymore but if spare cash awaits.........Well, thats in another thread.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Also, as with the pending motorcycle, there's undeniably an element of midlife crisis to it, I'm sure. But mostly, I think I look good in them.
That's me too. You couldn't call me an aficionado of leather jackets by any stretch of the imagination, let alone connoisseur, but I do like quality. My biker leather is well crafted, flawless hides, fits like a glove, well it did new. The other beauty that I bought has the appearance of the original A2 in my wardrobe, but at £600 it was a spend too far, then, by chance, I saw that the store was closing down. Make me an offer, the sign read. I had £185 on me, they took it. How I love that jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner